HQL denied to to Medical Marijuana Card?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    My husband has severe arthritis but has to work they tried pain meds to take at night but he would still be loopy come 3am. Now with MM he is able to sleep pain free and doesn't wake up feeling stoned or loopy.

I have scleroderma, its life long and can possibly shorten my life if it gets worse. Pain meds make me throw up, I can't take them and I'm a lightweight. Benadryl has me down for 2 days!

But it seems I can go load up on script pain meds and then have absolutely no restrictions on purchasing a gun. It doesn't ask you on the application if you are taking any medication, just asks if you possess the card. Doesn't even ask if you are a recreational user of any type of drugs if I remember correctly.

So we wasted Each $100 for the class, $75.00 live scan, and $50.00 for the application. I just noticed the ONLY place it mentions about the MM is under the frequently asked questions. I never went there, I figured its given to me by the state legally so why would it be denied?

It looks like you just got a sneak peek of something far more sinister than most know or care about. Disarm the population, which won’t cause many problems with a intoxicated population. Conspiracy theory stuff, I know. But if the shoe fits.......

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    I have, on behalf of MSRPA, alongside the other 2A organizations, testified about the "law of unintended consequences" on many occasions on this very topic. We can sit here, on this forum, and scream at the top of our lungs all day long about the inequities inherent in the system, but that will not change squat. This is an issue that crosses both State and Federal jurisprudence. Legislators have tried to pass state law changes about the MM card issue last year. It will not matter to a hill of beans until the Congress corrects the Federal limitations.

While there may be some points that could be covered by HQL instructors, specifically as it relates to regulated firearms purchases in Maryland, it ultimately falls on the individual to be cognizant of the laws at all levels.

IANAL - as others have posted, the 4473 that is completed for all firearms purchases (in addition to the MSP 77R for regulated firearms), asks about habitual usage of Marijuana. It does not state whether said usage is covered by an MM card or not, as it is still illegal at the Federal level despite what some states have done to legalize its usage as a medicine. The Federal Government still views marijuana as a Schedule I drug (https://www.dea.gov/drug-scheduling).

Until our community is willing to make a big stink at both Federal and State levels, this issue is not going to change. Quite honestly, IMO the Maryland Democrat party, and Brian Frosh in particular, LOVES the fact that the MM card is a tacit admission of voluntary removal of 2A rights for Marylanders.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I can tell you factually that marijuana use has zero relationship to responsible or irresponsible gun ownership or use.

No you can't

How does marijuana affect the brain?

Marijuana has both short-and long-term effects on the brain.

Short-Term Effects

When a person smokes marijuana, THC quickly passes from the lungs into the bloodstream. The blood carries the chemical to the brain and other organs throughout the body. The body absorbs THC more slowly when the person eats or drinks it. In that case, they generally feel the effects after 30 minutes to 1 hour.

THC acts on specific brain cell receptors that ordinarily react to natural THC-like chemicals. These natural chemicals play a role in normal brain development and function.

Marijuana over activates parts of the brain that contain the highest number of these receptors. This causes the "high" that people feel. Other effects include:

altered senses (for example, seeing brighter colors)
    altered sense of time
    changes in mood
    impaired body movement
    difficulty with thinking and problem-solving
    impaired memory
    hallucinations (when taken in high doses)
    delusions (when taken in high doses)
    psychosis (risk is highest with regular use of high potency marijuana)

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    So I guess we just spent a bunch of money for nothing....we were just told by the state police that are going to be denied due to the fact that we are "habitual" users of Medical Marijuana. I said first of, habitual implies that I use marijuana due to a habit, I use it occasionally along with CBD for a medical condition (scleroderma) rather than be on Oxy's or Percs or other narcotics.

So I guess our choice is:

A. Turn in the MM Card and start taking Percs, Oxy and whatever narcotics they will throw at us AND THEN we can possess a handgun.

B. Continue with our MM usage for medical purposes and load up on rifles, shotguns, sling shots, bow and arrow or whatever the hell else we want to just NOT a handgun.

I also did not see this one the Maryland licensing website, the website of the instructor for the HQL class nor did they address it in class.

Any thoughts on this????

Had been addressed here many months ago and many times since

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Another of the "I'm from the government and I am here to help" once people figure out the government is not all that and a bag of chips you will want less government . Government has gotten so big it is a wonder we don't have to phone in ahead of time to take a crap .
    Government creates a bunch of lazy dope heads and they are easier to lead around by the nose (ring) IMHO

JPG

Ultimate Member
    Aug 5, 2012
    Calvert County
    Apparently you have to choose one or the other keep your 2A rights or give them up to smoke the weed.

There was a lot of talk about this when states started approving MM since the Feds keep it illegal.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Apparently you have to choose one or the other keep your 2A rights or give them up to smoke the weed.

There was a lot of talk about this when states started approving MM since the Feds keep it illegal.

Life is all about choices , I commit a crime the same thing happens (felony) Having no knowledge about what you are doing is a personal problem .

Lots of places to get and gain knowledge IMHO , if I want to know about a a topic I talk about it here or research it outside the MDS community .
    There is not a topic you can't Duck-Duck-Go and get an answer .

Lack of planning and execution is a problem for all of us that have taken short-cuts

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    I have, on behalf of MSRPA, alongside the other 2A organizations, testified about the "law of unintended consequences" on many occasions on this very topic. We can sit here, on this forum, and scream at the top of our lungs all day long about the inequities inherent in the system, but that will not change squat. This is an issue that crosses both State and Federal jurisprudence. Legislators have tried to pass state law changes about the MM card issue last year. It will not matter to a hill of beans until the Congress corrects the Federal limitations.

While there may be some points that could be covered by HQL instructors, specifically as it relates to regulated firearms purchases in Maryland, it ultimately falls on the individual to be cognizant of the laws at all levels.

IANAL - as others have posted, the 4473 that is completed for all firearms purchases (in addition to the MSP 77R for regulated firearms), asks about habitual usage of Marijuana. It does not state whether said usage is covered by an MM card or not, as it is still illegal at the Federal level despite what some states have done to legalize its usage as a medicine. The Federal Government still views marijuana as a Schedule I drug (https://www.dea.gov/drug-scheduling).

Until our community is willing to make a big stink at both Federal and State levels, this issue is not going to change. Quite honestly, IMO the Maryland Democrat party, and Brian Frosh in particular, LOVES the fact that the MM card is a tacit admission of voluntary removal of 2A rights for Marylanders.

I could not agree more. For those who want the fully skinny on the law on this, take a look at MSI's written testimony last session. https://www.marylandshallissue.org/...-testimony-information-only-on-sb179-and-hb73

JoeyBimmer

Jul 22, 2020
    Eldersburg MD
    How can a MM card be something the state keeps a record of? Doesn't this violate HIPPA? Even though that is a federal law, the state still has to adhere to it, or so I thought. I get the odd though of the state adhering to federal law while also breaking it, but HIPPA is a pretty solid idea because of how it protects people's medical information.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    How can a MM card be something the state keeps a record of? Doesn't this violate HIPPA? Even though that is a federal law, the state still has to adhere to it, or so I thought. I get the odd though of the state adhering to federal law while also breaking it, but HIPPA is a pretty solid idea because of how it protects people's medical information.

I think (not sure) that you sign forms allowing an investigation of your records when you are buying .

Maybe someone can clear that up , but you give them permission

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    Those who choose to smoke weed won't like my opinion. I'll keep my 2A... you lose yours. :shrug:

Now I am sub'd to this thread... unpopular opinion and all...:)

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates

You sign away HIPPA rights to purchase a handgun in MD. Its one of the forms.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

You voluntarily put yourself on the government registry. HIPAA doesn't apply, as this is not health care.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    If pot heads want to give up their rights then so be it . If you are a habitual drunkard same deal . All parts of carrying a handgun and permit . They ask me and my wife if I ever hit her or assaulted her . We all know there are people in this world that should not carry ( I know that will get some resistance from some)
    Not sure what parameters should be used if any but we have to play by the rules as they are . No MJ cards , no drunk driving because that will show a problem . I hate most of what this state does but if you know the rules and educate yourself then it should not be a problem .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    One of the issues is State versus Fed.

Under Fed law, MJ is illegal. So getting a card to use it, is prohibiting for firearms based on Federal law.

State law may allow MJ use. Great, but since Fed law supersedes WRT firearms, you lose the ability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom