• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Gunsmith in Waldorf area?...Doing it myself. DONE!!!

So for my "coach gun" project. The action is pretty rough and needs to be cleaned up. I don't have the tools or know-how for disassembly/reassembly. Also figured might as well have them do the barrel chop. Any recommendations?

Last edited:

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I did this exact project. Engage did a great job for me. I know it’s not near you. This was when they had Garrett but i hear the new smith is pretty decent! They did a great job and even the fill between the barrels looks great!

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Already finished the stock and cut the barrels. Just waiting on the bead kit from Brownells, then it's time to fill the rib with JB Steel Stick and touch up blue

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Slicking up a coach gun is super easy. I did mine myself with the help of YouTube.

Yeah, the action was pretty dirty/cruddy...

Ejg5uIM.jpg

But with a lot of clp and a toothbrush, I got it pretty good (as good as it could get without taking it apart).

I used two stainless steel hose clamps (over duct tape) as cutting guides to ensure a more straight cut.

I'm thinking of doing some sort of leather wrap on the wrist, like this...
    8h4g1z3.jpg

and maybe a couple brass tacks on the forend...

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Alrighty,
    So the coachgun project is coming along. Today I got my Brownells Sight Kit in the mail. Now, when I'm drilling the "pilot" hole, is it really necessary that I use cutting fluid? What might be an ok substitute? Also, when tapping the threads, any advice? I've never done that before.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Alrighty,
    So the coachgun project is coming along. Today I got my Brownells Sight Kit in the mail. Now, when I'm drilling the "pilot" hole, is it really necessary that I use cutting fluid? What might be an ok substitute? Also, when tapping the threads, any advice? I've never done that before.

I'd use a center punch to mark where your going to drill. That way the drill bit wont walk on you. You dont really need oil to drill the hole. It would just keep your bit from wearing out faster. I would atleast use something for tapping the hole. In a pinch I've used just about anything : motor oil, atf, penetrating oil, pretty much any lubricant. when tapping, go slow, couple turns at a time then back it out and repeat. That will keep the tap clean and make the cleanest threads. I've been thinking about taking on the same project.

Trumpet

Oct 29, 2005
    Done! Birchwood Casey super blue came in today. Last night, I did the JB Steel Stick for the space in the rib, and filed and sanded it today. I did like 5 coats with the bluing. Came out pretty nice. I figure if I did too many coats, it wouldn't match the "patina" or beat-upedness of the rest of the shotgun....

Now, just gotta get a leather buttstock shell holder from Andy's leather. Maybe a couple brass tacks in the forend...

jmiiZ4ol.jpg

M5rJrh1l.jpg

GWzGPKFl.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom