• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    My fathers doesn't shoot that well with CCI Blazer. I would put a Savage over the remington IMO.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    Biggest thing is the guid rod spring tenstion. go to rimfirecentral and look up the 597 section and theres a how to.

Dont over lube it.

Find what ammo it likes and kick some 10/22 ass. Mine has a new hammer and extractor, I polished the guid rods and bolt myself and it loves remington subsonic rounds. If I do my part at 75 yards you can cover 10 rounds with a nickle.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I think the 597 is a turd. Remington's failed attempt to compete with Ruger. YMMV.

I have to agree, a fellow I shoot with often USED to run a few 597's - and while they can be quite accurate even out to 100 yards, his 2 had issues with losing the extractor and the bolt coming apart while shooting.

It got to the point that his bolt coming apart during firing was a common theme - ask lx1x or SCARCQB about crazyal and his self-destructing 597's...

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I have seen MDS members look for flying bolt parts at the range on several occasions on different rifles.

Ask Brad and Al......

After the last time it came apart - I told him, get it together and sell that POS, cause I'm not going to help look for parts again... :innocent0

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    Remington did to make great semi autos, the 597 is not one of them.
    They had major issues with magazines which may or may not be solved. The rifle is an example of the newer manufacturing which cuts corners.

mr.t7024

Nov 5, 2012
    Needham,MA

I agree with Semper Noctem,plus after how they handled the .17 597 fiasco they can go bark at the moon and or pound sand...!:beer:

Last edited:

BRONZ

Big Brother is Watching
    Jan 21, 2008
    Westminster, MD
    We have three of them. My sons and I just completed an Appleseed event. Most rifles were 10/22 and a few AR's. Our 597s dis well and had no probelms. Boths of my sons have also competed in local .22 rifle matches at out local range. They won them all 1st and 2nd mostly against 10/22s.

10/22s dont have last rnd bolt hold opens, which is retarded.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    The best thing about 597's, is that you can find used ones so easily - heck, sometimes you can pick them out of trash cans at ranges, for free.

Lanceman_1

Jul 14, 2011
    My experience with the 597's are this. You could get a stud or dud. I have had 4 of them. 2 were .22lr and both would not hold a group for Sh1t and I tried just about every type of ammo out there. My friend also has one in .22lr and it's been in the shop twice.

Now for the good. I had a .17hmr 597 and it shot great with no problems. Then Remington recalled them so I sent it back. The .17hmr barrel has been replaced with a
    .22mag barrel. So a range report is in order.

I already have a 597 in .22mag that I bought when Bush gave us that 250 bucks all those years ago. Now this gun I would never even think to sell and is one of my most reliable and accurate guns I own.

Lance

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Was given one in .22lr for Christmas the first or second year it was out and had nothing but issues with it. It's been collecting dust for a few years now because it isn't worth spending 15% of the cost of a new one to replace the springs in it (i think that's the current problem anyway).

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    If you are stuck on Remington, get a 552 BDL. It will out shoot the 10/22 and it 10 times the gun that the 597 wants to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom