So I took My New Glock 17 to the Range Today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    I just picked up a NIB Glock 17 gen 3 and took it to the range today and ran about 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 115 gr FMJ ammo. Out of a full 17 round magazine, only about 2 or 3 would eject to the right and the rest would either hit me on the top of my head or go to the left, which kind of got annoying. I did have 1 malfunction in the first couple of rounds where the round got stuck on the feed ramp (don't know what caused that). But after that did not have any malfunctions. I did not notice any marking on the spent casings. I do not limp wrist, I had a G23 4 years ago with no issues. The G17 has a 336 ejector, a dipped extractor, the serial number starts with TDX, and yes I cleaned it when I got it. I did order a Lone Wolf extractor and a 30274 ejector. Anybody that had these issues do any thing or change anything to fix them? Id like to do every thing I can before it goes back to Glock.

On a side note I was wearing a beanie with sunglasses on top of my head while I was shooting, and on my way back from the range I stopped at McDonalds to get some breakfast, and when I went to pay, I looked down to get my wallet, and a bunch of shell casing spilled out from between by sunglasses onto the floor, which was embarrassing.

Thanks!

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Welcome to the new Glocks. Glock wont do anything to change it, the gun "works". Youll likely need an aftermarket extractor and possibly different mags. The Newer Glock Mags can cause these issues too.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Swap out the replacement parts one at a time. Try them separately, starting with the extractor, not both at once.

Also try 124gr and 147gr FMJ instead. You should get much more positive ejection with 147gr with your gun as is.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I did try multiple mags including some 2008 mags that never had problems.

Its likely the extractor and possibly the ejector then. Aftermarket Extractor is one fix, adjusting the Ejector and recointouring it is another.

If it still does it then a dofferent recoil spring may be needed to adjust timing.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Chad, isn't all of this just voodoo and luck using a mixed bag of replacement parts to stop shell casings from striking the lower ejection port edge during ejection? Basically, same idea as why the 1911 went to a lower ejection port opening way back when.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Chad, isn't all of this just voodoo and luck using a mixed bag of replacement parts to stop shell casings from striking the lower ejection port edge during ejection?

Yup, thats about it, but people dont like having a new slide put in a mill and having the Ejection Port Relieved like in a 1911. Replacement parts are the alternative.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    Let me know how the lone wolf parts work out. I was thinking about getting a G17, though I'm not sure which generation.

My Gen 3 G19 from 2009 has been 100%. I do get the occasional brass to the face but it's very rare. As far as function though, 100%.

Very sad that this happened to Glock. Hopefully they will get their act together.

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    Swap out the replacement parts one at a time. Try them separately, starting with the extractor, not both at once.

Also try 124gr and 147gr FMJ instead. You should get much more positive ejection with 147gr with your gun as is.

I heard this does improve ejection, but I feel that it should run with 115 gr ammo because thats what I will be shooting mostly at the range.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    My 19 did no better with higher grain stuff up to 147HP...however the new owner stated his handloads do just fine in the gun.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    I heard this does improve ejection, but I feel that it should run with 115 gr ammo because thats what I will be shooting mostly at the range.

Plenty of people think that. It's been beat to death a hundred times over in Glock forums. Reality is that Glock builds them as defensive pistols for full-tilt loads, +P especially. That's why you get weak ejection with 115gr target loads. Step up to 147gr and hotter and the ejection issue should largely be cured.

My father recently had the same issue with a Beretta Nano, except 115gr target loads with the Nano cause lots of stovepipes. I convinced him to switch to 147gr and it was like the heavens opened up at his next range visit.

If hotter loads do not fix the issue with your gun, then lowering the ejection port will. Randomly swapping out parts might seem to fix the issue but it usually returns in well under 1K rounds. There are *huge* threads at Glock Talk about it.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Plenty of people think that. It's been beat to death a hundred times over in Glock forums. Reality is that Glock builds them as defensive pistols for full-tilt loads, +P especially. That's why you get weak ejection with 115gr target loads. Step up to 147gr and hotter and the ejection issue should largely be cured.

My father recently had the same issue with a Beretta Nano, except 115gr target loads with the Nano cause lots of stovepipes. I convinced him to switch to 147gr and it was like the heavens opened up at his next range visit.

If hotter loads do not fix the issue with your gun, then lowering the ejection port will. Randomly swapping out parts might seem to fix the issue but it usually returns in well under 1K rounds. There are *huge* threads at Glock Talk about it.

This man speaketh the truth.

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County

All the pre 2010 9mm Glocks that I have shot have never had this issue with 115 gr ammo, so Glock has definitely changed something to cause this issue. But I will give it a try with the hotter loads. I got some Federal HST 147 gr +p that ill run through it, but I definitely can afford to shoot that too often. If all the replacement parts don't work , hopefully Glock will make it right in the end.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Reality is that Glock builds them as defensive pistols for full-tilt loads, +P especially.

So are Gen 1-3 that do not have issues with 115 grain arent designed to be "defensive pistols"?

If all Gens had issues with 115 grain stuff okay...Glocks dont like them...but since the older guns do fine with "weak" ammo I think your point is lost.

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    To me erratic ejection is at best annoying with 115 gr ammo, and I can live with it as long as it doesn't cause malfunctions. But if it continues this way with hotter loads, then im am concerned. I do plan on using it for HD, and the last thing I want is hot brass in the eye when I need it most. But I am going to try to get to the bottom of this issue one part at a time. Ill keep this updated with a round count as I change out each part at a time and how it preforms afterwards.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    My favorite 115 gr 9mm range ammo is PMC Bronze that is listed at 1150fps muzzle, 338 ft/lbs. My current serious load is the Federal 115gr 9BP JHP that is listed at 1180 fps, 356 ft/lbs. So, according to some people, because I am not running +P or heavy 9mm bullets I shouldn't use these in a Glock? My S&W M&P eats these day in and day out, only stopping for mag reloads.

rmbstyle

Sep 22, 2012
    Anne Arundel County
    So I heard that polishing parts of the extractor can help reduce the friction, helping in a more positive extraction. I lightly polished the origonal and ordered a Lone Wolf extractor if it doesn't work. If the polished extractor doesn't make a difference, ill give the LWD extractor a try and post the results.

Lightly Ploshed Extractor:
    P1020542.jpg

P1020543.jpg

P1020564.jpg

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    So I heard that polishing parts of the extractor can help reduce the friction, helping in a more positive extraction. I lightly polished the origonal and ordered a Lone Wolf extractor if it doesn't work. If the polished extractor doesn't make a difference, ill give the LWD extractor a try and post the results.

Lightly Ploshed Extractor:
    P1020542.jpg

P1020543.jpg

P1020564.jpg

Thats not polished, its simply sanded to look different. If it dosent look like a mirror its not polished.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom