• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    Will it be ready for the next Axis v. Allies match?

It's ready now, but I don't have ammo ready. I need to get with you about some load data for this round. Also, after watching you shoot your Trapdoor,I plan on shooting my 1889 Schmidt Rubin in the next match. Then, my Swedish Mauser in the match after that. Of course, that could change if I come up with a good load for the No. 4.

So I don't need to go fishing in the spares bin for a Singer?

Nope. I waited until the last 30 seconds on eBay and sniped the guy who was bidding against me. I didn't get it as cheaply as I'd hoped, but that's ok. Thrill of the hunt and all that. LOL

You wouldn't happen to have a 98 Mauser firing pin in the parts bin, would you?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    It's ready now, but I don't have ammo ready. I need to get with you about some load data for this round. Also, after watching you shoot your Trapdoor,I plan on shooting my 1889 Schmidt Rubin in the next match. Then, my Swedish Mauser in the match after that. Of course, that could change if I come up with a good load for the No. 4.

:secret: I have a little confession: I don't have a pet load for .303 :o I should, but so far Katie and I are shooting factory PPU, 174 gr. The PPU 180 grain softpoint hits same POI for us at 100yds. I handload for dad's P14 out of necessity because its oversized/worn out bore needs a slightly fatter bullet.
    https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?222093&p=5161504#post5161504

I believe I was using either 38.5 or 40 grains of Varget behind the 174 grain round nose soft point. One of these days, I'm going to work up a light .303 load. I'll gladly share the recipe...one of these days.:rolleyes:

Let me know when you're going to use your Enfield at the next match. I have that other No.4 that I haven't brought out this year, so I can shoot one with you and still keep my goal of bringing a different rifle to every match this year. Knowing Katie will do her part, if I do mine, it would be neat to try to fill the top of the leader board with British rifles:innocent0

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    If you're looking for light reloads for the .303, C.E. Harris did alot of work over the years on cast bullet and lighter jacketed bullet loads for military surplus rifles. Quick searches of the web show references to a 1993 article in the American Rifleman about the .303. Somewhere I have loads I put together based on the article using bullets made for 7.62x39 and .32 jacketed pistol bullets. If you can't find something on this lead I'll see if I can dig around and find what I've used.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    If you're looking for light reloads for the .303, C.E. Harris did alot of work over the years on cast bullet and lighter jacketed bullet loads for military surplus rifles. Quick searches of the web show references to a 1993 article in the American Rifleman about the .303. Somewhere I have loads I put together based on the article using bullets made for 7.62x39 and .32 jacketed pistol bullets. If you can't find something on this lead I'll see if I can dig around and find what I've used.

Thanks. I'll start looking.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville

Nope. I waited until the last 30 seconds on eBay and sniped the guy who was bidding against me. I didn't get it as cheaply as I'd hoped, but that's ok. Thrill of the hunt and all that. LOL

You wouldn't happen to have a 98 Mauser firing pin in the parts bin, would you?

I think I do but I see that you've already found one. Gotta love MDS members, a great bunch! BTW, good job getting the sight. Don't think you over paid for it considering just how hard it's getting to find Singer sights. Try to get a PH or BSA target sight for a SMLE for anything less than $200 these days.

Warpspasm

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2010
    Harford, Co.
    I think I do but I see that you've already found one. Gotta love MDS members, a great bunch! BTW, good job getting the sight. Don't think you over paid for it considering just how hard it's getting to find Singer sights. Try to get a PH or BSA target sight for a SMLE for anything less than $200 these days.

Yep, in my experience, MDS members are a great bunch indeed.

Clovis

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2011
    Centreville
    Been doing alot of looking around for these reloads for the .303s and finally found I had a link to the articles from 1993 American Rifleman. These are not from the original magazines but from someone putting them on the web and going through them and editorializing as you read through them.
    The first article was from March of 1993 and to me seemed to try to cover too much in too little space. The second was from July of 1993 and was concentrating more on the recently surge in availability of .303 rifles and how they shot. It included a loading data chart and I have used some of the loads in the past and they have shot reasonably well. I will say what I have used will not feed from the Mags and are single loaders, but here ya go.

http://hybrid.ualr.edu/~hudson/gunfiles/enfaq-03.msg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom