Moving to another state, gun storage in MD?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    I'm considering moving to another state, but would prefer to keep most of my guns in storage in MD for a while. I have pre and post FSA2013, and no NFA weapons.

Assuming my guns are currently legal in MD (they are), can I have residency in another state, and legally keep, store, and use my guns in MD?

What happens if I move back to MD? EG, post FSA2013 AR15 owned by me while out of state, but I then move back to MD?

I know no one is a lawyer....but if you have an opinion, and/or point me to the language in MD law that explains this, that'd be helpful.

dogbone

Ultimate Member
    Nov 14, 2011
    GTT - Gone To Texas
    Are you keeping ownership of a place to store your firearms in Maryland or looking to leave them with a friend or relative? The latter case may constitute a transfer unless the firearms are not accessible to anyone but yourself, such as in a locked safe and only you have the combination.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I'm considering moving to another state, but would prefer to keep most of my guns in storage in MD for a while. I have pre and post FSA2013, and no NFA weapons.
    I can't conceive of another state having as horrible gun laws as Maryland, so moving out of this rat's nest of a state would be a good thing for you. Bad for us, but good for you! So why would you come back to this hellhole?

Assuming my guns are currently legal in MD (they are), can I have residency in another state, and legally keep, store, and use my guns in MD?
    Normally a state will require you to take your guns, then get the hell out of the state. (AND don't let the door bang you in the butt on the way out!) They honestly would rather not have us in the state. If you don't tell them you're storing your guns here, I don't think the state would care, and even then, who would tell anyone? I certainly wouldn't care where you kept your guns as long as they weren't being used in a crime.

What happens if I move back to MD? EG, post FSA2013 AR15 owned by me while out of state, but I then move back to MD?
    Why would you do a damn fool thing like that? The only way it would make it illegal is for you to go to another state, become a resident of that state and pay taxes to it, then move back to this state.

I know no one is a lawyer....but if you have an opinion, and/or point me to the language in MD law that explains this, that'd be helpful.
    Well, you've got my opinion. Good luck! Honestly hope you don't come back, except to get your guns! Hope you end up in a decent state far from this rotting pile of dung!

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    I love a lot about this state. The people, the diversity, the geography, and the opportunities are fantastic. No, I don't like the gun laws. But I know of no US state that hasn't removed rights that I believe are fundamental to freedom. And there are some (progressive) trends in MD I support. As this is a gun forum, I get it. We hate gun laws that are restrictive and in conflict with 2A. But, I'm not a single issue voter, or citizen. The reason I may leave MD, and the reason I may come back to MD, is personal and is thankfully more complicated than just a 2A issue.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Some FFL holders may store some for you. I would not do that if they require a NCIS or 4473 to reclaim when you return. As if you put a gun for sale on consignment for example. What is legal and available to you could change while you're gone, and may risk not being able to get it later.
    Commercial storage facilities would be a bad idea, and most places have exclusions on them. Family or trusted friends may be your best bet.

G O B

Ultimate Member
    Nov 17, 2007
    Cen TX
    Prepare guns carefully for storage! Life happens and it may take a lot longer than you were counting on before you retrieve them.
    The safest way is to use a bonded storage facility.
    Probably cheaper if you do like I did when moving to Texas.
    I packed them in strong box with some furniture into a storage box - the kind they drop off and pick up. These are secure, but they WILL see rough treatment. Pack tightly and waterproof all valuables (LIKE GUNS).
    If you want them somewhere else, call and the box comes to you. You want them when you get back to MD call and there it is.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    If you purchase a banned in MD firearm while resident outside the state, when you move back you MAY NOT bring it into the state.

So if you purchase outside MD, either purchase wisely, or plan on selling when you move back.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    If you purchase a banned in MD firearm while resident outside the state, when you move back you MAY NOT bring it into the state.

So if you purchase outside MD, either purchase wisely, or plan on selling when you move back.

If, as a Maryland resident, you buy a MD-banned firearm out of state, you've violated Federal law. Under Federal law, if purchasing a firearm outside your state of residence, the firearm needs to be legal in both the state the purchase is occurring in, and your legal state of residence.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    True.

But if you are an MD resident, they could not sell it to you.

I was thinking of the situation that you move out of state, and therefore are NOT an MD resident for a period of time, and buy something then move back.

If you move out of state, unless you are a full time student or active duty military, you are supposed to change your residence to where you are actually residing.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    sounds like the question is, if his current firearms stay in maryland, are they grandfathered against any changes in MD laws while he moves out of state and/or changes residency, if he were to return to MD and regain residency.

certainly if, as a resident of another state, he buys firearms that aren't MD-legal, he wouldn't be able to bring those into MD if he were to regain MD residency.

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    sounds like the question is, if his current firearms stay in maryland, are they grandfathered against any changes in MD laws while he moves out of state and/or changes residency, if he were to return to MD and regain residency.

certainly if, as a resident of another state, he buys firearms that aren't MD-legal, he wouldn't be able to bring those into MD if he were to regain MD residency.

I hadn't even thought of this scenario! Good point.
    I'll be talking to a lawyer.

My original question has been perverted a bit in this conversation. lol.

My question is simple:
    Assume I own (I may or may not) a handgun and an AR15 that was legal to transfer/purchase prior to FSA2013 and banned from transfer/purchase post FSA2013.
    I change residency to another state.
    I change residency back to MD.

1) Can I store those guns in MD while I'm a resident of another state?
    2) Can I use those guns in MD while I'm a resident of another state?
    3) Can I keep those guns, without any additional paper work/reporting/registering/HQL, if I change my residency back to MD.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Under current law, if you owned them prior to 10/1/13, you can have them as a resident, you can have them as a non-resident in the state, and you can move into the state and establish residency.

I cannot see that storing them in MD will make any difference in being able to own them in MD at a later time. The law does not care where the guns live, only where YOU live and when they were purchased.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    If you make the mistake of going to NYC, you will find out that they have very severe firearm laws, having said that I was able to store my firearms with the police in NYC until I got the needed permits to get them back (that was back in the 1980s). If you intend to come back to Maryland perhaps they can be stored by the police, or a firearm dealer located in MD, until you come back...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom