• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    Basically no birds North West of Chestertown, the guide had 5 fields, each in a different area. Practically no shooting where I was and the guide said the other fields were the same.

The sunflowers, for the most part, were still green. Could be too much rain.

At any rate, we are invited back in two weeks at no additional charge.

May try the Easton area next Sat.

Any suggestions?

Regards
    Jack

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    I had a really good outing Saturday in MoCo. Got close to a limit of birds and this was my first time dove hunting. I went out again yesterday. The birds didn't start flying until around 3 and I had to leave at 4...but my friend who stayed in the field got his limit by around 6:30. I'm hooked on dove hunting now. It's a lot of fun to do so much shooting and so little hitting haha. They also taste amazing! Also, it felt so wrong to be hunting in 90 degree weather. But I guess that's normal for dove hunting. Hunting usually makes me think of sitting still and shivering, not sweating.

I think you guys are right about the rain. I talked to some old timers in the parking lot who were telling me the first crop of flowers hadn't dried out properly and the second crop was still too green.

wjackcooper

Feb 9, 2011
    SteveZ

Thanks for the info. Looks like bird numbers may be correlated with ripe sunflowers.

What county were you hunting in?

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    My son and I went out with his boss. There were some birds but not a lot. It took me all day to figure out my lead since i’ve never been dove hunting. The little bastards are hard to hit.

Attachments

• 37F6BE6D-A1AD-4DC1-8724-02027A1F8017.jpg
      37F6BE6D-A1AD-4DC1-8724-02027A1F8017.jpg
      138.5 KB · Views: 204

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I had a really good outing Saturday in MoCo. Got close to a limit of birds and this was my first time dove hunting. I went out again yesterday. The birds didn't start flying until around 3 and I had to leave at 4...but my friend who stayed in the field got his limit by around 6:30. I'm hooked on dove hunting now. It's a lot of fun to do so much shooting and so little hitting haha. They also taste amazing! Also, it felt so wrong to be hunting in 90 degree weather. But I guess that's normal for dove hunting. Hunting usually makes me think of sitting still and shivering, not sweating.

I think you guys are right about the rain. I talked to some old timers in the parking lot who were telling me the first crop of flowers hadn't dried out properly and the second crop was still too green.

You need to hunt the deer archery opener. My neighbor won’t hunt till October for archery. I still plan to try to be out there Friday morning. At least for a few hours and only if it looks like the heavens aren’t going to open on me. Friday looks cooler than the last few days, but 80F and a rain suit are NOT my ideas of a fun time in a stand.

I really want to get in to dove hunting. I just need to figure out where I can.

TrappedinMD

Dec 15, 2011
    Western MD
    Quick after work hunt and bagged a few birds for an appetizer!!

Attachments

• 60E68666-9515-4A0C-B782-EE2EF0118D0F.jpg
      60E68666-9515-4A0C-B782-EE2EF0118D0F.jpg
      230.2 KB · Views: 156

Artillarylover

Nov 5, 2016

Were you at Mckee Breshers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom