• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmike349

Jun 26, 2013
    While I'm waiting on my C&R license to process, any anyone recommend a good and inexpensive 38 special revolver I can get my wife? she's not small (6'1) but is a bit recoil shy, so I'm thinking something with a good grip size and a standard barrel (no snub nose). I think she is favorable to something with a nickel finish if possible... I imagine decorative grips in wood, faux ivory or mother of pearl (so maybe something with an aftermarket grip option). anyone have recommendations or thoughts?

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    A lot of older Colt and S &W revolvers are now C & R. Check the gun shows. No one else wants those old antique revolvers anymore and you can occasionally find a deal. I got a Colt New Police in .32 (I know, that's not .38, sorry) in about 90% condition at the last Oaks show for $300 with a box of ammo.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unless you have a Colt collecting fetish , a S&W M10 , 4in bbl .

I know about all the older ones, but once the model numbers were stamped, they are approved for +P . Everything from M10 No Dash thru M10-4 is C&R . The first year so far of M10-5 and M10-6 make the cut , but you'd need to verify the sn with Standard Catalogue of S&W ( SCSW in collector speak ).

Nickle finish ( not totally trashed ) brings a premium . The highest collector value attatches to the original grips that came on that gun , followed by period correct . But as a Shooter , don't make grips a criteria , and plan on getting aftermarkets that best fit the Wife's hand .

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Try a Webley Mk IV. It can take the formidable .38/200 (just a .38 S&W loaded with a 200 grain projectile) or just fire normal .38 S&W. It's also a top break so it can be fairly easy to operate for anyone. Recoil is minor but if you use the lighter .38 S&W load you'll want to modify the sights so that it shoot on target (shoots low otherwise).

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    A older Colt Officer's Model Target in .38 Special is a nice shooter and can be found for $400 - $600.

28Shooter

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2010
    Baltimore, Maryland
    You cannot go wrong with an 4" S&W Model 10 or a Model 13. When I was young, every cop I knew carried one or the other. Great guns - tough, reliable, foolproof. Do stay away from the Model 12 with its alloy frame - its lightweight is nice but it kicks like Hell!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    OP specified C&R eligible , so that leaves out M64, M13, M65 .

As much as I love Long Actions , the sweet spot is 1957-67 , with the improved heat treatment ( or at least the factory rating for +P that implies that) , and readily available parts .

Year end s/n available in print . For dating an early 1968 -5 or -6 , you'd need to give a shout on the S&W Collectors Forum , to get bracketed by their Factory Letters .

( -5 and -6 mfg simultaneously , the -5 was the taper bbl, -6 the bull bbl .)

Unless you wife collects Webley/ Enfield s on purpose, she will shoot the S&W better and more enjoyably , and have best selection of grips for optimal fit ( or bling ). And to anticipate the question , the best grips is the one that fits your Wife's hand, not what I prefer, or you prefer, and might or might not be on short list of usual recomendations for wimmins ( used on purpose for satire ).

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Unless you have a Colt collecting fetish , a S&W M10 , 4in bbl

THIS! I'm a Colt guy and own many but I'll admit the Smiff & Weasel Model 10 is the best overall value in a defense sidearm out there...period. They're not rare...they're more than affordable...and they can get the job done as long as the handler does his or hers. I carried a Model 64 for years when a law enforcement officer and never felt under armed with it.

Another option...and as I admitted I'm a Colt guy...if your wife is recoil shy...look for a nice Colt Detective Special in .32 caliber. They're available (but a bit more expensive than an equivalent S&W) but have a six round capacity compared to other makes in the same class for scarcely bigger dimensions and have mild recoil. There are some effective .32 revolvers rounds available but not in the huge number of choices in the .38 Special arena.

One you find what works...practice...practice...practice!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Choir preaching here but as mentioned model 10

You can also find a police positive by colt but model 10 is your best route.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    For as much as I hate the HQL law, you might find a cheaper S&W or Colt that will cover the cost of the license on a decent police trade in.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Leaving aside my prejudice for the S&W triggers , the OP and Police Positive Spl were nice guns, bracketing the S&W M&P on either side size wise . They rounded out the top 3 most popular LE sidearms during the Revolver Era ( with Ruger coming on board at tail end ) .

But still , no long factory parts available for the Colts, and much larger grip and holster selection for S&W .

Personally I'm a big fan of .32's . But for general use by non- enthusiasts , I'd recomend .38spl , with some of the extra low recoil rounds if need be . ( I testing , some may be marginal in a 2in , but with the extra vel from 4in , should perform well ( within their parameters )

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I love C&R revolvers.
    There are any number of fine revolvers out there, ranging from the 5-shot S&W M36 & 37 with 3 inch barrels, all the way to 45LC.

Smith M10 with a 4" heavy barrel is a really sweet pistol, great trigger, low recoil (because of the mass of the pistol). Couple hundred should get you a good shooter, double that if you want a safe queen.

You don't need an HQL to get a great revolver.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I love C&R revolvers.
    There are any number of fine revolvers out there, ranging from the 5-shot S&W M36 & 37 with 3 inch barrels, all the way to 45LC.

Smith M10 with a 4" heavy barrel is a really sweet pistol, great trigger, low recoil (because of the mass of the pistol). Couple hundred should get you a good shooter, double that if you want a safe queen.

You don't need an HQL to get a great revolver.

Couple hundred will only get you a Taurus revolver....maybe. Most Smith 10's , even with significant wear or scratches, will generally start at $300+....more in a gun shop. An nice example will go 400 and up. A safe queen, especially with box and all will probably be $600 unless you happen on a private sale from someone who doesn't know gun values.

I like the SW Model 14 (adjustable sights) and the Model 19 (adjustable sights, 357 mag). It's a shame the 66s aren't quite old enough.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes , in recents years, S&W revolvers have been creeping up demand from collectors and finite numbers . Everything some, certain ones a lot . In particular M28s .

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Couple hundred will only get you a Taurus revolver....maybe. Most Smith 10's , even with significant wear or scratches, will generally start at $300+....more in a gun shop. An nice example will go 400 and up. A safe queen, especially with box and all will probably be $600 unless you happen on a private sale from someone who doesn't know gun values.

Like me. . .

Color me surprised. Good thing I have most of the wheelguns I want already.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Lots of good revolvers aren't outrageous when viewed in the context of what people commonly spend on bottomfeeders . It's just frustrating for those of us who remember the floods of dirt cheap revolvers during the Transition Era .

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    You don’t day what “ inexpensive “ means to you. I saw a mod 1917 that was chromed and was very nice looking ( purists may hate this). .45 and those revolvers have some heft and they are not snappy. 45 ACP is a low pressure round, so if the gun has been maintained should be shootable after all these years. This one was around $500. Modified collectables decrease in value. But does she want adjustable sights, fixed sights? I agree that a small sw or colt is .38 sp is not fun to shoot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom