• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    See not a bobcat, looks like a small mountain lion. Here is a bobcat for reference at night.

I'd be curious if that is Really from his trail cam. Lots of B.S. pics on the internet.

Attachments

• 20161120_085832.jpg
      20161120_085832.jpg
      60.8 KB · Views: 855

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    No reason to shoot such a beautiful animal. They stay away from people for the most part. Tranquilize it and send release it in western MD or WVA.

I am not against hunting, but it is a rare animal in these parts.

Sure, it is beautiful until it gets someones Pomeranian. :)

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Here is a bobcat I caught on my game camera here in WV. Some views make them hard to distinguish from mountain lions. If the OP's game camera picture is indeed from Maryland, that is the 1st photographic proof I've seen of a lion in the mid-Atlantic area.

In the field across from my house where a farmer runs cattle, he has had two calves killed in the past several months. According to him, something bit them behind the head and took them down before eviscerating and eating them.

I suggested it was a bear and he is adamant that it isn't and that this is the work of a mountain lion. I have not seen the carcasses so I can't form an opinion. He did call WVDNR, however, they never showed up to examine either calf.

WVDNR will definitively state that there are no mountain lions in wV. I have yet to see proof, but I hear a lot of incidental reports of sightings. With all the game cameras out there, it they were around, you would think that there would be a lot more pictures captured of them.

The OP's picture looks like a mountain lion.

Attachments

• HUNT0004.jpg
      HUNT0004.jpg
      77.6 KB · Views: 615

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    It looks like a Bobcat to me, but regardless, it seems too convenient that no photo in (presumably) a series of photos from that camera shows the tail.

Many trail cams only grab (or, to prevent recording thousands of images every time the wind blows, are set to grab) a shot only every few seconds. Quite possible for the cat to have been long gone from the camera's coverage by the very next frame.

Abuck

Ultimate Member
    Many trail cams only grab (or, to prevent recording thousands of images every time the wind blows, are set to grab) a shot only every few seconds. Quite possible for the cat to have been long gone from the camera's coverage by the very next frame.

I'm with bobcat also. I have a lot of them on my trail camera, and it's often hard to see all the features, such as the ears, closely. Also, I have my cam set for 3 shot bursts, but often only have one pic of them. I have observed them in the wild, and they always seem to move fairly quickly in the open, and only stop when and where they have some cover.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Picture modes/settings, quality of the camera itself all plays a role.

And then stuff like that may have been the best picture of the cat as it simply just did not walk into the frame any further and took off another direction if it's not a hoax

Probably a 20/30 second movie mode would have settled what type of cat this is more than 1 picture

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    About 15 years ago I was working in Harrisonburg Va. I was sitting in my car eating lunch when a bunch of co workers came running out the back. I was curious and wandered over. Just on our side of the tree line, there was a cougar wandering along. One of my fellow mechanics had his rifle in the truck so all of us took turns watching it through his scope. They are bigger than I thought...
    I reported the sighting to DNR (or whatever they are called there) and was told they do not exist in Virginia.
    I have a friend in Va who spends a fair amount of time in the woods. He has seen 2 (Maybe the same one, who knows)in two widely separated areas of Va, once with a forest service crew.The one I saw was inside the southern city limits of Harrisonburg...

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    We usually see a couple of Cougars hanging around Bel Air High School from time to time...

You can tell that they are Cougars by the way the drool & moan when watching the football games...

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    We usually see a couple of Cougars hanging around Bel Air High School from time to time...

You can tell that they are Cougars by the way the drool & moan when watching the football games...

Hmmmmm
    I thought Fallston hosted Cougars and Bel Air had Bobcats...:innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom