Legality of putting an M-16 bolt carrier group in an AR-15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • My Toy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 31, 2008
    Westminster
    My question is in the title. Are there any concerns with respect to ATF or other law enforcement entities by replacing a bolt carrier group in an AR-15 with an M-16 bolt carrier group?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Just the bolt carrier?

I think its the full Fire Control Group or auto sear ATF does not like. Bolt carrier on its own does not make it fire full auto.

Lots of places sell "M16 Bolt Carriers" (see link to PA Anderson BCG). Not a problem.

clandestine will be along with more info, but IIRC the difference is a longer cut for the hammer, thats it. Not functionally different really (maybe better reliability) but its not full auto.

ETA: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...-full-auto-semi-auto-only-ar-15-bolt-carrier/

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Bolt carrier groups are fine.

Fire control groups are where you can find yourself in deep Doo-doo.

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    The Commercial Bolt Carrier is machined away so that it cannot contact the AUTO SEAR. You cannot install an Auto Sear in the lower without drilling a hole through both sides. By drilling the hole you just became a Felon.
    There are RDIAS "Registered Drop In Auto Sear" available for purchase for ~$8 to 10K that were registered prior to 1985.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I actually like the idea of the trip lever keeping the hammer from dropping onto the bolt in an auto configuration and think it would be neat to incorporate it in a semi. I wonder how often really quick firing folks are firing faster than the bolt cycles.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    The ATF Reference Guide (2014) provides:

In order to avoid violations of the NFA, M16 hammers, triggers, disconnectors, selectors and bolt carriers should not be used in assembly of AR–15 type semiautomatic rifles, unless the M16 parts have been modified to AR–15 Model SP1 configuration. Any AR–15 type rifles which have been assembled with M16 internal components should have those parts removed and replaced with AR–15 Model SP1 type parts which are available commercially.

This is the only general guidance on the subject I have ever seen. There are some letters floating around out there that state something contrary, but letters are only good for the person to whom the letter is written. I'm not saying it is or isn't a machinegun, but most people seem to think this is far more cut and dry than it truly is.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    The Commercial Bolt Carrier is machined away so that it cannot contact the AUTO SEAR. You cannot install an Auto Sear in the lower without drilling a hole through both sides. By drilling the hole you just became a Felon.
    There are RDIAS "Registered Drop In Auto Sear" available for purchase for ~$8 to 10K that were registered prior to 1985.

I'll take two.

Auto sears start at about twice those prices.
    Lightning links are at about $12,000 now.

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty

I'll take two.

Auto sears start at about twice those prices.
    Lightning links are at about $12,000 now.

I'll take 10 of each, LOL.

Lightning Links are selling for about $15k and RDIAS $35k.

http://machinegunpriceguide.com/html/sears_0.html

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Short answer: everybody uses a "Full Auto" BCG because it's slightly heavier, or so we've been told. Don't worry about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom