• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    remoraweb2_r1_c1(1).jpg

I am always looking for a good holster for concealed carry, but there are lots of products that fall short of the claims and dissapoint, and even some good expensive holsters just don't work right for my purpouses. I carry daily, prefer service caliber doublestack autos, but also carry smaller single stack pistols as a backup, for carrying around the house, in situations where I take it on and off repeatedly(trips to MD where the pistol will be unloaded and stored), or carrying local in hot weather. As hot as it has been, I have been leaving my bulky Glock 30 behind, and carrying my small Kahr PM9 as a primary CCW more and more in a Galco pocket holster, it is not an ideal carry rig, more of a compromise than I want, but it definitely beats not carrying at all. I first heard about Remora holsters a year or two ago on the internet, and have seen a couple at gunshows. The reviews I have seen are unanimously positive, the owner Alan Bogdan has a reputation for fantastic customer service, the holsters have a lifetime warranty, most models are ambidextrous and can be carried pocket, strong side, weak side, small of the back, appendix, crossdraw, and more with lots of angle and depth adjustability. They seemed like relatively well made "sock" holsters, probably the most basic holster design there is, a simple peice of material folded and stitched around the gun's shape, most are used for pocket carry, but some have a clip for IWB carry. Most of these designs are cheap holsters that tend to have poor retension, poor fit, uncomfortable, and tend to move around on the belt, or move and get bunched up if pocket carried. This is part of the reason that myself and most others who carry often scoff at this holster design, and opt for higher end holsters by reputable manufacturers and occasionally smaller custom holstersmiths. It seems that my skepticism of the Remora was unfounded, and problems with other sock holsters has been adressed.

I ordered a Remora 3B RFT SS to fit my Kahr PM9, took 2 days to arrive, shipped by USPS in an envelope with a card explaining the LIFETIME warranty, model, and a simple disclaimer that basically they are not responsible for the safety of user modified holsters, and that some firearm mods may affect fitment and safety. The holsters are American made in Florida, and come with a wide range of options on the basic design to fit a variety of handguns. They offer their basic model for $25($5 shipping), this is a simple pouch with a kydex band, ballistic nylon interior liner, and textured rubber covering. There are a few variances on the basic design, the RFT has a reinforced top, the kydex band extends to the top edge of the holster, keeping the mouth open for more consistent draw/holstering. The OWB models have a velcro flap to secure to a belt, ankle or thigh models have a strap, and tuckable holsters have a flap lined with cloth designed to release a tucked shirt, yet the rubber covering will still be aggainst the body and pants.

There are options for cut, an artemis or "ART" low profile cut to leave more grip exposed, SS sweat shield extends the mouth of the holster to completely cover sights or hammers, or full sweat shield completely covers the pistol and grip on the body side. The sweat shiled increases comfort, but at the expense of the holster being ambidextrous as the original model is. There are also mag/flashlight holsters of the same design.

The nylon interior is tough, but allows the pistol to slide in and out smoothly without snags. The kydex structure holds shape, stays open, and flattens the outer profile to reduce printing, and make it more comfortable. The textured rubber covering is a pattern of small raised circles, it is not tacky like tape, but is very slip resistant, and takes very little pressure to keep from sliding along a surface, it also is waterproof, and should keep the pistol dry from sweat. The stitching is strong nylon thread in clean straight lines and a strip of the rubber material is stitched over the edges of the material. The holster is very well made with attention to detail, and the materials appear to be of good quality. The fit to my Kahr PM9 was good, snug but not tight. The holster is marketed as both a pocket holster and a "clipless" IWB holster, pretty much the only example of a "clipless" IWB I have seen.

I ordered the holster with the intention that it would serve as a better pocket holster for my Kahr, the rubber would keep the pistol dry, the surface should grip the pocket and stay put better, the rounded structure should be more comfortable, and easier to holster. It is a little larger than the Galco pocket protector the Remora will replace, but still slipped into the right front pocket of my cargo shorts, it would probably be too big for tight jeans, although that is mostly a limitation of the PM9 pistol and not the holster. The strong reinforced mouth stays wide open, and makes holstering easy. The enclozed muzzle also should keep dirt and debris out of my weapon. The rounded unassuming shape pretty much eliminates printing, you can see the bulk, but not the shape of the gun, and I think anyone would dismiss it as a wallet. The wide, smooth surface also is comfortable aggainst my leg, and stays in an upright posistion without shifting at all. As a pocket holster it is excellent.

I was very skeptical that the textured rubber would be sufficient to secure the holster IWB. I was prefectly fine with using this holster as a pocket carry rig, although the versatility of 2 carry methods would be nice if the magic worked. I unloaded my pistol, put it in the holster, and slipped the holstered weapon in place on my side, it was a little stubborn, and I had to loosen my belt to keep pressure off of it, but it was easier than belt loops, and deffinitely easier than the big strong clips on my hybrid holster. It is just as convienient to put on and take off as a paddle holster, although unlike a paddle holster it is IWB and conceals far better. Once in place and positioned, I snugged my belt and walked around the house, bending, streaching, sitting, carrying stuff, and did a few dryfire drills, it never moved, drawing and holstering were just as easy, and the holster just as stable as any good IWB holster with belt loops or clips. Satisfied that it might work as advertised, I loaded my PM9, and took the dog for a walk, took out trash, drove to to the store, got a haircut, and went about a couple days carrying concealed as I always do.

It never moved, stayed not only in position, but at the angle I set it, the pistol was secure and in place, dry as a bone even though I was sweating at times. The holster keeps position well when sitting, running, bending or reaching, it works best with a belt, but still holds with drawstring pajamas or elastic sweatpants, very little pressure is needed to stay put, few holsters work as well without a belt. Hybrid holsters like the crossbreed space clips far enough to keep the holster stable but are large and hard to put on and off, smaller single clip or belt loop holsters can shift easier, or push around as you sit or move around, the entire surface of the Remora resists shifting while being relatively compact and easy to put on and take off. The Remora is Comfortable, of coures being the PM9 is a small thin single stack 9mm, it isn't exactly huge in the first place, but the rounded shape and wide profile of the holster basically dissapears after a few minutes of wearing it. I was worried that the rubber would chafe and be uncomfortable aggainst skin, as some of my suede backed holsters can be(some moleskin fabric on the back usually helps), but it wasn't the case with the Remora. Chafing and irritation come from material rubbing aggainst skin, a rough texture, or edges and points, the remora has none of these. The soft rubber moves with the skin, staying in contact without actually rubbing, the relatively smooth shape and lack of edges keep it comfortable, although it can stick to skin a little after sweating, like wearing shorts on vinyl seats, although it is easy enough to readjust if needed. The holster is shaped that it also pulls the grip in close to the body for better concealment. I was pleasantly suprised, the holster works as advertised, is secure and comfortable IWB, no clip needed. It seems to be breaking in as time goes on, and after a couple days fits the gun better and is even more comfortable. It is versatile enough that I can put the pistol on in seconds, and carry all day, it works as a primary or backup holster carried in my pocket, IWB strong side, weak side, or crossdraw. I am interested to see how well it works for larger pistols especially compact doublestacks. I would definitely like to try the Remora mag carriers as I usually use OWB belt mag carriers with a cover flap, a IWB or pocket mag carrier would be a nice addition for some versatility. I will be ordering more from Alan, and updating this thread in the future as the holster gets some age on it, or I try out other Remora products. I don't see this replacing my modified Desantis hybrid holster for carry in cooler weather, or when going on longer trips outside of my little town, as that has proven to be a fine holster for my primary CCW a GLOCK 30SF, but it is definitely a keeper for smaller/lighter weapons. I have only had it for a couple days, but this holster has exceeded my expectations, and I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend one for those looking for an inexpensive, well made and versatile concealment holster for compact handguns.

Remora Holsters
    Remora Store

screenshot_-1.jpg

I have been through a LOT of concealed carry holsters, IWB OWB, pocket, kydex, leather, snaps, straps, loops, paddles, a little of everything. Most are quality holsters and do their job well, but few are as versatile inexpensive and comfortable as the Remora.
    holsters.jpg

The Remora fits the pistol well, shields it from sweat, and shields me from discomfort. The reinforced mouth stays open, smooths the draw and makes reholstering easy. The surface is not sticky or uncomfortable, but resists sliding well, even the small lip around the mouth holds the pistol in the holster. The liner is tough and durable while being smooth enough to prevent snagging. The quality is good, stitches are well done, no loose threads or rough edges.
    comparison.jpg close.jpg
    top.jpg empty.jpg

Worn IWB it is remarkably secure, and conceals well under a T-shirt. It stays in place just as well as any holster with a clip, and actually better than some. The rubber completely shields the pistol from sweat, the extended sweat shield works even better to keep the pistol clean It takes very little pressure from a belt to stay put, and actyually can be carrier OWB between the belt and outside of pants.
    side.jpg side2.jpg

As a pocket holster it has no equal, provided the pistol and holster
    are compact, and your pockets are large. The reinforced top works great, it conceals well, and is comfortable.
    pocket.jpg pocket2.jpg

Last edited:

Brychan

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2009
    Baltimore
    Nice write up. nothing on TV? :)
    Seems the holsters do pile up after awhile. Maybe we should have a MDS holster swap meet.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Good review. I stopped using the Remora after 'testing' it for a couple months. It's GTG if you are just stepping out to buy a loaf of bread, but if you are working, bending or shooting IDPA, not the best option. It does fit a niche and serves some purposes extremely well, like pocket carry, but an all purpose or everyday rig, I don't recommend. Especially for those of us with 'love handles'.

In my review I also tested the Kholster holster. They have now permanently dropped their price to their frequent sale price, which makes it one of the best deals available. I do recommend this holster, and trimming it to fit your gun, body, and method of carry.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=61425

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    nerd.

I did sure notice you were able to gun-up and get in to order a delicious hardees monster buiscut a lot quicker than me with my hybrid. I may haveta pick one of these up for the M&P to test out how it does with bigger/heavier stuff.

zmayhem

Feb 2, 2012
    They're ok for a quick trip to the store or something like Minuteman said, but I prefer something more substantial and supportive for longer wear and to ensure that the gun doesn't move. Also when reholstering the Remoras are a little harder and don't always slide right in like Kydex.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    ...I just remembered I was going to pick one of these up for the m&p. I thought I remembered some nerd off somewhere wrote a review of them. Turns out my memory was correct.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    Are these molded to a specific gun?

Certain guns fit certain models. For example a SIG P226 and a S&W M&P Pro use the same holster. A CZ-75 also uses that same holster. The Glock 17, 20, 21 and 22 use that same holster as well.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I just ordered a Remora with the reinforced top for my new PM9. I plan to pocket carry since IWB irritates me these days. Hopefully my review will be as glowing as Alucard's.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom