• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BananaRunt

Dec 9, 2017
    Hi Folks,

Introduction here: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=5021591#post5021591

I posted this in the handgun section too in regards to an AR pistol...

New member here. I've searched for an answer to this question, but have been unsuccessful. I'm fairly new to MD also.

First, is "registering" the same as "77r"?

I want to build an HBAR AR from an 80% lower. I understand this should be ok according to what I've read on MSP site, but what about "registering"? It's a regulated firearm, right? I initially thought this shouldn't be required (registering) because the registration or 77r process is required for purchases, and I'm not purchasing, I'm building. But then I read new resident have to register their regulated firearms , so it seems registration extends beyond purchases and transfers. Does anyone have any guidance, and if so, can you link me to something official?

Also, if it does have to be registered, how do I do that? Again, the 77r seems to be for purchases, but after I finish the 80 percent and build into an HBAR AR, it will already be in my possession.

Thanks!

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    As a Maryland resident:

You may NOT manufacture a non-HBAR AR15 now - it is a banned firearm.

You MAY manufacture an HBAR AR15 now - it is not banned, is not regulated and hence, does NOT need to be registered.

So what makes an HBAR versus non-HBAR? No one knows except that MSP has said it must be advertised or described as HBAR. :sad20:

When you go to put an upper on it, make sure you have something that advertises or describes the upper as "HBAR".

IANAL, YMMV, IMHO, and other Internet disclaimers.

Edit: Handguns manufactured from 80% do NOT have to be registered. That would include the AR15 pistol manufactured from an 80%.

(If you're not a resident and intending to move into Maryland, it gets even more complicated...)

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Also the HBAR requirement only applies to 223/556. Alternate calibers like 300BLK, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 762x39, 224 Valkyrie, 22 Nosler, 277 Wolverine, 25-06, etc... do not need to abide by the HBAR requirement.

BananaRunt

Dec 9, 2017
    If you made it, you do not need to register it.

77R deals with a firearm transfer transaction.

As a Maryland resident:

You may NOT manufacture a non-HBAR AR15 now - it is a banned firearm.

You MAY manufacture an HBAR AR15 now - it is not banned, is not regulated and hence, does NOT need to be registered.

So what makes an HBAR versus non-HBAR? No one knows except that MSP has said it must be advertised or described as HBAR. :sad20:

When you go to put an upper on it, make sure you have something that advertises or describes the upper as "HBAR".

IANAL, YMMV, IMHO, and other Internet disclaimers.

Edit: Handguns manufactured from 80% do NOT have to be registered. That would include the AR15 pistol manufactured from an 80%.

(If you're not a resident and intending to move into Maryland, it gets even more complicated...)

Also the HBAR requirement only applies to 223/556. Alternate calibers like 300BLK, 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, 762x39, 224 Valkyrie, 22 Nosler, 277 Wolverine, 25-06, etc... do not need to abide by the HBAR requirement.

Thank you all very much for the info.

WhistlersMother, thank you very much for the info regarding 80% handguns. Do you have a link to something "official" that states this?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thank you all very much for the info.

WhistlersMother, thank you very much for the info regarding 80% handguns. Do you have a link to something "official" that states this?

There is no law passed that says you don't have to register. The important thing is that there is no law passed that says you DO have to register.
    https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/receiver-blanks

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    What teratos said.

Note, for other states, there may be registration requirements. Hawaii, for example, would require registration of the handgun at the state level. I think there is a brief window to do so after manufacture has been completed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    IF you had already built your pistol before moving to MD , it would need to be registered upon moving in , like any other pistol .

But as I understand your question, you are contemplating your build now , after having moved to Md . If so , no actions are required .

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Prob already answered elsewhere but could not find. If you make an Ar pistol no registering. Do you need hql for it?

BananaRunt

Dec 9, 2017
    Last edited:

hit3961

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 5, 2017
    The same way some one would try to prove it was after 2013. Who would bother doing that? No one.

Sent from the 3rd Rock

If purchase before 2013 it can be an assault rifle but who would bother right!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2508.jpg
      IMG_2508.jpg
      70.2 KB · Views: 501

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads