• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    For truely Fundimentals , Don't anticipate the trigger break . Smooth , continuous pull , at consistent rate , both in the firing stroke, and the follow thru ( release ) .

The biggest intuitive starting and stopping the trigger pull , generally along the lines of slowing or stopping the pull when the sights picture wobbles off target , and then pulling quickly when the sight picture wobbles fortuitously into perfect alignment .

Avoid this , and make the pull continuous .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My recommendation is to take an NRA Basic Pistol course first.

It will teach you the fundamentals, and more importantly, the SAFETY aspects.

Then shoot some, then take a 1 on 1 or small class with direct feedback to shoot better.

Dry fire is good practice, IF DONE RIGHT.

Bad practice just reinforces bad habits.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    My recommendation is to take an NRA Basic Pistol course first.

It will teach you the fundamentals, and more importantly, the SAFETY aspects.

Then shoot some, then take a 1 on 1 or small class with direct feedback to shoot better.

Dry fire is good practice, IF DONE RIGHT.

Bad practice just reinforces bad habits.

This!

I strongly recommend the basic NRA pistol course for anyone who is taking up shooting for the first time. I took a 1 hour classroom instruction from a trainer and then went out to the range for about an hour of practice. I learned a lot but I learned even more when I subsequently took the NRA basic pistol course. One on One instruction is great but only after the fundamentals and safety have been drilled into you. Just my 2 cents worth!

Cal68

Apr 30, 2020
    MoCo
    After my HQL, I took a fundamentals course at a range, although not the official "NRA" course but covered a lot of the same information. Then as people have mentioned, I've been going to to the range to work on all the basics and target shooting. I really enjoy it. I do plan to eventually get some 1-1 once I feel more comfortable. But the safety aspects are front and center in my mind. not just at the range but storing and securing at home

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    After my HQL, I took a fundamentals course at a range, although not the official "NRA" course but covered a lot of the same information. Then as people have mentioned, I've been going to to the range to work on all the basics and target shooting. I really enjoy it. I do plan to eventually get some 1-1 once I feel more comfortable. But the safety aspects are front and center in my mind. not just at the range but storing and securing at home
    I tend to think of the beginner pistol skill progression as:
    1. Some sort of basic firearms handling course.
    2. Spending a few hours on the range getting familiar with the administrative handling of your firearm - how to manipulate the safety, reload it, fire it, etc.
    3. Taking a holster draw class oriented towards action/tactical shooting (not concealed carry).
    4. Start taking more beginner classes
    5. Start shooting action pistol matches

I spent WAY too much time on step 2, and did not proceed fast enough to step 3. If you want to do ANYTHING interesting with a pistol besides standing in a lane and dumping rounds into a bullseye, being able to draw safely and quickly is the gateway. JDC has a course coming up that I bet will be great:
    https://www.justifieddefensiveconcepts.com/developing-and-improving-your-draw

Rifle has a similar progression, sans step 3 (although I bet a sling-specific class would be utterly fascinating if taught right).

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Also, figure out your dominant eye and use that one. even if you are right handed and left eye dominant you will probably end up shooting better left handed with the good eye. And like others have said, DRY FIRE a LOT.

Interesting. I am cross dominant though I didn’t know what that was until now. I’ve never understood how someone could shoot with both eyes open as I’ve always had to close my left (dominant) eye. Experimenting to follow...

Thanks!

JerseyMike

Dec 16, 2019
    Germantown
    I ended up getting a 1 on 1 lesson at MGN and it was super helpful. Just someone explaining how to properly hold the revolver made all the difference, and getting instant feedback really helped. I was able to put 50 rounds in a row in/around the center of the target which was a huge confidence boost.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Interesting. I am cross dominant though I didn’t know what that was until now. I’ve never understood how someone could shoot with both eyes open as I’ve always had to close my left (dominant) eye. Experimenting to follow...

Thanks!

Cross dominance is not a huge thing with pistols.

You can always just move the pistol over to your dominate eye.

Watch many movie/TV scenes of someone shooting, in many cases, the actor is left eye dominant and the pistol is aligned with the left eye, but right hand hold.

It is a HUGE thing with shotgun shooting.

Lane Meyer

Jul 20, 2020
    Cecil County
    Cross dominance is not a huge thing with pistols.

You can always just move the pistol over to your dominate eye.

Watch many movie/TV scenes of someone shooting, in many cases, the actor is left eye dominant and the pistol is aligned with the left eye, but right hand hold.

It is a HUGE thing with shotgun shooting.

I did a little bit of reading on the subject today. I haven’t shot skeet since the late 80s and simply can’t recall how I went about “managing my eyes.” I do know that I didn’t miss everything. For rifles and handguns I’ve always closed my left eye.

To the point of this thread, I think at some point I’d like to work with an instructor and this will be a key item.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I did a little bit of reading on the subject today. I haven’t shot skeet since the late 80s and simply can’t recall how I went about “managing my eyes.” I do know that I didn’t miss everything. For rifles and handguns I’ve always closed my left eye.

To the point of this thread, I think at some point I’d like to work with an instructor and this will be a key item.

I had a couple of people I worked with in shotgunning. Both were shooting OK, but not great. I found out both were cross dominant, so had them switch to shooting left handed (both were right handed).

Both could barely load their guns.

But both shot their best rounds the FIRST time they shot left handed.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    For truely Fundimentals , Don't anticipate the trigger break . Smooth , continuous pull , at consistent rate , both in the firing stroke, and the follow thru ( release ) .

The biggest intuitive starting and stopping the trigger pull , generally along the lines of slowing or stopping the pull when the sights picture wobbles off target , and then pulling quickly when the sight picture wobbles fortuitously into perfect alignment .

Avoid this , and make the pull continuous .

We call that "Shooting the sway". The problem is the brain gets involved with what the eyes are seeing and feels like it needs to intervene. Most people take too long to fire a shot. They hold their breath, heart rate goes up, start suffocating while waiting for the perfect sight picture. Then they screw up their trigger press. Miss the shot, get frustrated, and just start burning through ammo, wasting practice.

On the sight picture reset, you press the trigger to the "wall", where the reset is. Then when the sight picture sets, press the trigger.
    Don't worry about listening for the "click" on the release and trying to stop the trigger there, because it's impossible. You end up taking in the slack anyway.
    This is when you see the real experienced shooters "slapping" the trigger. Trigger finger placement is a farce. Your grip is what tames and keeps the pistol straight, not a perfectly set finger on the trigger.

I showed Outrider and Zzzzman both this trigger action and it made all the difference to them. So they said anyway.
    I keep saying it.... If your finger is bullying your grip by pushing or pulling the gun out of sight alignment, you need to tighten your grip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom