• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Hey, point people to Every Town for a gun Safety’s video repository of safety videos on how to safely handle, clean, store, and use firearms. They are a gun safety organization right? For the one who I know is serious and was just at Gun Connection we will be doing safety briefings and handling practices over FaceTime before she ever handles live ammunition.

Don't know. It would be nice to have a direct link though, since you are espousing them...

WeldonHunter

Apr 27, 2011
    Louisiana
    Take this as a good opportunity to actually try to put on your smiley face and change some hearts and minds.

I realize that there is temptation to stick it to people, but this is not a useful instinct long term. Its counterproductive.

Take the opportunity to walk them through the paperwork, help them as much as possible, then help them get an MSI membership. Help them understand that Moms are only Demanding more counterproductive paperwork that criminals are not following. A lot of people I know have turned into full blown preppers at this point. Take full advantage to persuade people and resist your normal instincts.

This right here is some of the best advice that could be given. As much as the temptation is to tell these people "I told you so" it's also an opportunity to turn them in our favor. I used to tell people one of the best ways to turn an anti gunner into a firearms enthusiast is to take them to the range and let them actually handle and shoot a firearm. This is a unique situation that is now putting real world circumstances in front of them that they can't ignore and isn't coming from us. This is showing them why firearms ownership is important.

Glock_Fireman

Professional Pot Stirrer
    Apr 6, 2013
    Freedom Land
    Take this as a good opportunity to actually try to put on your smiley face and change some hearts and minds.

I realize that there is temptation to stick it to people, but this is not a useful instinct long term. Its counterproductive.

Take the opportunity to walk them through the paperwork, help them as much as possible, then help them get an MSI membership. Help them understand that Moms are only Demanding more counterproductive paperwork that criminals are not following. A lot of people I know have turned into full blown preppers at this point. Take full advantage to persuade people and resist your normal instincts.

The point I was trying to make in another thread about use this time to your advantage and help people because right now the shops are the face of the gun community so when they do dumb things like lie to customers and try to stick it to people that normally wouldn't be there they make us all look bad.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Meh

This right here is some of the best advice that could be given. As much as the temptation is to tell these people "I told you so" it's also an opportunity to turn them in our favor. I used to tell people one of the best ways to turn an anti gunner into a firearms enthusiast is to take them to the range and let them actually handle and shoot a firearm. This is a unique situation that is now putting real world circumstances in front of them that they can't ignore and isn't coming from us. This is showing them why firearms ownership is important.

Effm. Grasshopper and the ants.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Again, it is probably worth helping SOME.

SOME of them may be turned and see the light.

MANY will not. But we need to get to those SOME, who will be on our side after this is over.

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    I have found that educating anti-gunners on the practicality of certain taboo firearms like an AR15, that I can generally get them to agree that they serve a purpose in a civilian capacity.

Most people I know cannot operate a handgun confidently or effectively under severe stress. I train regularly, but I still have my doubts of my own ability.

I was robbed in my own house at gun and knife point (2 assailants) in college around 2009 (was dumb and opened my front door). I remember being absolutely paralyzed in fear. I remember hardly being able to move let alone get coherent words out. Thankfully I survived that incident with only some minor PTSD. After moving into a new area I purchased my first two firearms.

Long story short, my HD weapon of choice is a braced AR pistol with 10.3 inch barrel, suppressor, red dot, and OWL flashlight. Why? Because I can use it effectively and safely with almost zero brain power. My fiance also can use it very easily. Not to mention 55gr ball's propensity to not over penetrate through barriers well.

My mom is the typical "you don't need an AR15, but shotguns and hunting rifles are ok". So I gave her my 12g with 8 pellet 00 buck and she nearly cried after one shot. I gave her my glock 17 and she coudn't hit a damn thing, I gave her my ruger mk4 which she liked but is not ideal for defense, so then I let her shoot 2 of my AR15's and she was ringing 8 inch steel at 40 yards with ease.

Most people would agree that if you are to arm yourself that you should get the most effective tool for the job. And by effective I mean the right compromise (for your situation) between knockdown power, ease of use, and collateral damage considerations.

She has since changed her mind on AR15's.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    Again, it is probably worth helping SOME.

SOME of them may be turned and see the light.

MANY will not. But we need to get to those SOME, who will be on our side after this is over.

There are several folks in our neighborhood that are not into or against firearms that I would spend time with going over firearm ownership if they express concerns. There are 2 families that are rabid leftists that have gotten or will get absolutely zero time/effort or even a wave in the past, now or in the future. Not everyone is a left/right extremist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom