Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Notices

Old December 6th, 2017, 04:17 PM #1

Rejected by Dealer to Ship Mags Out of State

Found an online dealer with a good price on a gun I'm interested in, but website shows "product is illegal in your area" when putting in my zip code, because of magazine capacity over 10. Called their customer service, was told firmly that they won't ship the magazines to a separate address in Virginia for extra fee, and ship the rest of the package including the gun to my local FFL. I told them it's perfectly legal, they replied they just don't want to take on any legal risk of a Maryland buyer ending up with a high capacity magazine in any way because of them. Before I could say anything else, "sorry our policy says no, have a good day".

Are most online dealers this risk averse? Any way they can be convinced of what the law actually says what can and can't be done?

By the way, went into FFL yesterday and was told that Maryland FFLs can receive high capacity magazines from online orders, but can't ship to an out of state address for the buyer to pick up. Some dealers were doing this before Maryland AG sent out letters warning shops to stop this practice. Didn't know this before.
armed_economist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:29 PM #2
Outboard boat racing guy

Send a message via AIM to Mark75H
Outboard boat racing guy

Send a message via AIM to Mark75H
More jokes from the ill-informed. MD FFL's and MANUFACTURERS CAN ship mags out of state any time they wish; the issue would only be the Maryland buyer. The very simple solution is for the mags to be sent to another person out of state. His honor the high sheriff of nothingham, I mean the AG, has issue with MD buyers purchasing the mags, as it is his opinion that the MD buyers purchase the mags in MD.

YOUR problem remains convincing a chickenlittle FFL he is not breaking the law. Their policy can be their policy. Find an FFL who understands and is not afraid.

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:37 PM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
More jokes from the ill-informed. MD FFL's and MANUFACTURERS CAN ship mags out of state any time they wish; the issue would only be the Maryland buyer. The very simple solution is for the mags to be sent to another person out of state. His honor the high sheriff of nothingham, I mean the AG, has issue with MD buyers purchasing the mags, as it is his opinion that the MD buyers purchase the mags in MD.

YOUR problem remains convincing a chickenlittle FFL he is not breaking the law. Their policy can be their policy. Find an FFL who understands and is not afraid.
So are we just out of solutions, except buy from the dealer with the lowest price that is willing to ship to an out of state address?
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:37 PM #4

Typically you’ll get that especially if they don’t border md. Is this a smaller company? When I usually order firearms with over 10 rds I just ask to ship without the mags.

Don’t take it personally a lot of places are too lazy or don’t find it worth the trouble to not only learn but keep up with gun laws in nanny states like ours.
j.smooth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:37 PM #5

dbl Post
j.smooth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:37 PM #6

If you're unlucky enough to live in MoCo or Annapolis, there are companies who will refuse to ship ammunition to you, even though the local laws were preempted long ago by the state.

Even when presented with legal information from NRA-ILA, citing the appropriate sections of the law, their refusal stands. It's more than a little annoying.

The blame rest on the shoulders of the General Assembly, and the know-nothing electorate who put them in office, and keep them there.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” - Philip K. Dick
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:40 PM #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by armed_economist View Post
So are we just out of solutions, except buy from the dealer with the lowest price that is willing to ship to an out of state address?
Yes. Buy from those who are willing to sell.

Long-term solutions involve working toward ridding Maryland of their Progressive supermajority, a process which exceeds the patience and attention-span of most complainers.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” - Philip K. Dick
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:44 PM #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.smooth4 View Post
Typically you’ll get that especially if they don’t border md. Is this a smaller company? When I usually order firearms with over 10 rds I just ask to ship without the mags.

Don’t take it personally a lot of places are too lazy or don’t find it worth the trouble to not only learn but keep up with gun laws in nanny states like ours.
The dealer is iammo.com, I don't know much about them (new to guns so I have only heard of the major national dealer names). That's what they said, they can ship without mags but won't substitute full mags with 10-round mags. If they ship without the mags, there is no price reduction, that's why I want to find a way to get the mags, even for extra shipping cost (usually comes out cheaper than buying 2 or 3 full size mags out of state).
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:47 PM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by armed_economist View Post
Found an online dealer with a good price on a gun I'm interested in, but website shows "product is illegal in your area" when putting in my zip code, because of magazine capacity over 10. Called their customer service, was told firmly that they won't ship the magazines to a separate address in Virginia for extra fee, and ship the rest of the package including the gun to my local FFL. I told them it's perfectly legal, they replied they just don't want to take on any legal risk of a Maryland buyer ending up with a high capacity magazine in any way because of them. Before I could say anything else, "sorry our policy says no, have a good day".

Are most online dealers this risk averse? Any way they can be convinced of what the law actually says what can and can't be done?

By the way, went into FFL yesterday and was told that Maryland FFLs can receive high capacity magazines from online orders, but can't ship to an out of state address for the buyer to pick up. Some dealers were doing this before Maryland AG sent out letters warning shops to stop this practice. Didn't know this before.
Get magazine elsewhere, get them to drop ship to a fed ex store thats near your hotel while your on a business trip.
hit3961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 04:50 PM #10
Pro Pizza Eater

Pro Pizza Eater

What I find somewhat "amusing" is the online dealers sometimes have this problem, but HK has no problem shipping mags to out of state address. They did that for the buy a gun get 4 mags deal they were running in the fall. I figured the manufacturers would have more of an issue then the FFL

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
d33rhunt3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues