Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Topics of Interest > Reloading

Notices

Old October 30th, 2017, 03:50 PM #1

This will be my 1st attempt at reloading !

I have read and read and read. I have watched numerous videos, and I think I am ready to proceed. I have all the equipment I think I need initially.

I only want to reload 1 thing.... a good suppressed, paper target killing, about 100 yards max accuracy, round for my Ruger .300 Bolt Action with a 16 in barrel.

I got my brass from Rocky Brass and they state it is ready to go.
I got some free Everglades 150 Grn bullets.

My question before I get started is about the Primer and Powder combination I should use.

I have read a lot, but it seems like just about every thread has to do with the ability of the reload to properly function in an AR. I guess I am just a little overwhelmed at all the combinations and factors available, and realizing my limitations.....don't want to do anything stupid.

I am confident that I can produce a satisfactory round on the outside....but what"s inside is where I don't want any mistakes.

Thanks for the education!!!....Bryan
BryanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 03:55 PM #2
Feeding Trolls Since 2014

Feeding Trolls Since 2014

I'm using A 1680 and Magnum primers. We're talking 300AAC right? Subsonic right?

"We keep you alive to serve this ship...row well and live" Quintus Arius
outrider58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 04:00 PM #3
Kragaphile

Kragaphile

Supersonic Info...
I'm not a reloading wizard, but I have been doing a lot of .300 Blackout recently.
For primers, I use CCI #400
For powder (and your 150gr bullets) I would use H110, starting at 16.0gr and work up in .5gr increments until you find a good, accurate zone and tweak it from there.
Shortening OAL will not help you in a bolt gun- go with published data.

Make sure you learn about over-pressure signs and inspect your spent primers/brass while working up a load. Your gun's max load isn't necessarily the same as the published data. There are multiple 3-4 minute Youtube videos that are great.

PS- I'm really impressed with what I got from Rockey Brass- no point in converting 5.56 at that price and quality.

Edit- I would increase your projectile to 200gr+ for subs until you're more experienced. Lighter bullets are trickier to load subs for.
Old October 30th, 2017, 04:16 PM #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by outrider58 View Post
I'm using A 1680 and Magnum primers. We're talking 300AAC right? Subsonic right?
You are correct.

300 AAC and Subsonic only.

Thanks.
BryanR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 05:05 PM #5
Still learnin'

Still learnin'

Best of luck - due to the contributions of many great folks here at MDS, my first foray into reloading was successful. It is very addicting but does satisfy the OCD a bit!
Seagrave1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 06:26 PM #6
When All Else Fails.

When All Else Fails.

I will only add that you should never assume the brass is good to go from the factory. Even if the factory claims that it is.

Every piece of brass should be full length sized. Then every piece of brass should be trimmed to length. Then the mouth gets chamfered inside and out.

Set your seating/crimping die using the longest piece of brass you can find. Setting the die with a short piece of brass will cause you major headaches. Usually a buckled shoulder. Be very careful with the amount of crimp too. That's another shoulder buckler.

Good luck and have fun.
iH8DemLibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 06:29 PM #7

For subsonic 300 blackout loads, I recommend either CCI#400 or #41 primers coupled with Accurate 1680 or Hodgdon's CFE Black
ADCOLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 06:49 PM #8
What fresh hell is this?

What fresh hell is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iH8DemLibz View Post
I will only add that you should never assume the brass is good to go from the factory. Even if the factory claims that it is.

Every piece of brass should be full length sized. Then every piece of brass should be trimmed to length. Then the mouth gets chamfered inside and out.

Set your seating/crimping die using the longest piece of brass you can find. Setting the die with a short piece of brass will cause you major headaches. Usually a buckled shoulder. Be very careful with the amount of crimp too. That's another shoulder buckler.

Good luck and have fun.
This.

Don't find out for the first time when you head to the range that none of your rounds chamber.

My opinions are my own and not necessarily those of my employer. Which is self evident, because my opinions are so awesome!

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” - Will Rogers

A new life awaits you on the off-world colonies!
K31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2017, 07:02 PM #9
Kragaphile

Kragaphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by iH8DemLibz View Post

Good luck and have fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by K31 View Post
This.

Don't find out for the first time when you head to the range that none of your rounds chamber.
Agreed.
Earlier in this thread, I mentioned how I was highly impressed with Rockey Brass. I ordered 500 and >95% were within .002" of 1.358" and only 1/523 was outside their specs- being 1.354". The mouths were chamfered by Rockey Brass.
All that for 11cpr; I see no point in converting 5.56 brass again.

Caveat- This is not meant as a "trust me, you don't need to measure their brass" type comment, rather I was damn impressed with their QC. I hope they keep up that level of perfection.
Old October 30th, 2017, 07:41 PM #10
Beware of Dog

Beware of Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanR View Post
You are correct.

300 AAC and Subsonic only.

Thanks.
I'll reiterate a few points... first, 150gr projectiles are not ideal at all for subsonic ammo. I load 180gr and heavier for subsonic and use expressly Accurate A1680 for powder and typically CCI 400 primers (std small rifle primers). I have had no issues developing accurate, subsonic loads with those criteria. Anything under 180gr in a 300AAC for me gets loaded supersonic.

To properly load subs in the 300, I think you need chronograph to verify velocities. You also need to start the load high and work your way down in powder charges, all the while, being absolutely sure that every round is getting out of the bore, until you reach a reliable subsonic load. Subsonic ammo can be tricky and it's easy to stick a round in the bore with too low of a charge weight. The result is not pretty at all!

There are a lot of variables involved, doing your homework is important! A simple chamber gauge will verify that your brass and loads are chamberable.
Archery and Firearm Fanatic
Sticky is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Reloading