Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues

Notices

Old December 7th, 2017, 02:36 PM #31
These are not your droids

Quote:
Originally Posted by armed_economist View Post

It's not difficult to drive to VA and just buy full mags in a store, but my problem is that if I were to buy a gun in MD (from online dealer of local FFL), there would be no discount if I want the gun itself but not 10 round neutered magazines. My FFL told me, for the M&P 2.0 FDE, they will have to sell me the gun without any magazine at all (10 round mags not produced in that color), but still at full price, and buying 3 mags cost an additional $100, basically I would pay twice for those mags. This is why I'm inclined to ask an online dealer to ship the gun to my FFL and mags to an address in VA, if I can find one willing to do so that is.
With the new MSP guidance recently issued on this very subject, unfortunately you are SOL. FFLs on Gunbroker are not always MD friendly either. Too small a market to be bothered.

If you are buyung two guns for cash, I am surprised you cant work out a deal. Maybe you can sell the 10 rnd neutered mag on ebay.
"More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states."

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinions...d/115084.p.pdf
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 02:41 PM #32
Outboard boat racing guy

Send a message via AIM to Mark75H
Outboard boat racing guy

Send a message via AIM to Mark75H
You are chasing your own tail around in circles. If you want the uncommon handgun in MD, its going to cost you a mag, that's all there is to it. By the time a FFL packages and ships the mag ... that is the cost to the FFL in his time and effort? You expect this service for free?

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 03:13 PM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk13 View Post
FYI
Cabelas in DE will not sell any handguns that come with magazines holding more than ten rounds to Marylanders. They won't remove them and discard either.

But I can buy and walk out with all the hi caps I can carry from off the shelf.

I will use them for what I need but there is no love for Cabelas.
Last fall I was beyond pissed when they declined to sell me a heavy barrel AR because it came with a single 30rd mag that I insisted they keep or discard. I was tempted to drag their entire cart/display full of magpul mags to the checkout line to make a point. Their company SOP is full of sh*t, just decided to make up their own senseless rules on top of our already stupid state laws.
Keep in mind I bought several gift cards for this purchase and waited 2hrs to be shown their company SOP for Maryland residents
Rob R. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 03:52 PM #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
You are chasing your own tail around in circles. If you want the uncommon handgun in MD, its going to cost you a mag, that's all there is to it. By the time a FFL packages and ships the mag ... that is the cost to the FFL in his time and effort? You expect this service for free?
Having a mag shipped to your brother in PA will cost you a bottle of bourbon to free the hostage. Don't ask me how I know.
"More importantly, where a state permits individuals to openly carry firearms, the exercise of this right, without more, cannot justify an investigatory detention. Permitting such a justification would eviscerate Fourth Amendment protections for lawfully armed individuals in those states."

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/opinions...d/115084.p.pdf
danb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 05:15 PM #35

How does buying from gun shows work? If I go to a gun show in VA, buy a 17 round gun, can I drive away with the high capacity magazines, and have them ship the rest of the package to my local FFL for pickup after purchase application? Do I pay VA sales tax in this case?
armed_economist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 05:25 PM #36
Kragaphile

Kragaphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by armed_economist View Post
How does buying from gun shows work? If I go to a gun show in VA, buy a 17 round gun, can I drive away with the high capacity magazines, and have them ship the rest of the package to my local FFL for pickup after purchase application? Do I pay VA sales tax in this case?
The VA dealer/FFL would have to transfer it to a MD FFL and you would do paperwork in MD. Federally, handguns can only be purchased in your state of residence.
Legally, yes you can take the 17rd mags home with you from VA. They have to enter MD on your person; you cannot mail them to yourself. I know, it makes no sense whatsoever. There are usually one or two MD FFL's at the Chantilly VA and York PA shows that handle transfers.
Old December 7th, 2017, 05:30 PM #37
Confederate Jew

Confederate Jew

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaregrouper View Post
The VA dealer/FFL would have to transfer it to a MD FFL and you would do paperwork in MD. Federally, handguns can only be purchased in your state of residence.
Legally, yes you can take the 17rd mags home with you from VA. They have to enter MD on your person; you cannot mail them to yourself. I know, it makes no sense whatsoever. There are usually one or two MD FFL's at the Chantilly VA and York PA shows that handle transfers.
Unless you are Louis Dega.

Beat your ploughshares into swords, and your pruning-hooks into spears; let the weakling say, I am strong. Joel 3 : 10
eruby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 05:37 PM #38
Kragaphile

Kragaphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by eruby View Post
Unless you are Louis Dega.
Once again, Google was required to get an Eruby reference.
Old December 7th, 2017, 05:47 PM #39

Ultimate bottom line - Living in Maryland sucks . Not recieving magazines that otherwise would have come included is indeed a * suck factor * , but far from from the most significant.

Coping options :

1. Just accept it as a fact of living in PRM
2. Refuse to accept , and move across a State Line , and commute back to your job . Your life will improve in innumerable other ways too.
2 Collect revolvers, 1911's , and other single stack pistols .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 12:02 AM #40

Semi- Thread Jack

Not picking on the OP of this thread , rather that it would be educational for some of our members newer to the firearms world .

What is a * common firearm * ? Not in the Constitutional sense, but the ownership and commerce sense. Simplified , there are a crap load of them in ownership/ usage , usually been in popular circulation for a significant period of time , and lots of commerce in parts & accesories , be they some combination of OEM , OEM equivalents, or more unique aftermarket.

The firearms media ( paper publications , websites, etc ) focus much of their editorial content on things that are New ! or Substantially " Improved" ! Advertising payolla aside , the cummulative thinking is readers will purchase / click on the publication / site to find out about what's new and different . Usually with at least headline and cover blurbs using dramatic hyperbole .

I have no first hand experience with the APX good or bad . Anything that was a serious contender for US Mil service pistol trials is probably reasonably well made and designed , and doesn't totally suck .

But alas , it is not yet * common * May well become so in time , but for now is a new offering from major mfg , still awaiting a reaction from the marketplace .
Biggfoot44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > Maryland 2A Issues