Go Back   Maryland Shooters > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues

Notices

Old December 6th, 2017, 11:16 PM #71

Big brother is watching. Wait until alcohol use, medications, eye problems and whatever the anti's can think of becomes an issue. Gun grabbers will use any means necessary to take your guns away. It's for the children don't you know.
5.56blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2017, 11:51 PM #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.56blaster View Post
Big brother is watching. Wait until alcohol use, medications, eye problems and whatever the anti's can think of becomes an issue. Gun grabbers will use any means necessary to take your guns away. It's for the children don't you know.
if it saves just one life....
mumfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 01:27 PM #73
ReMember

ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_an_outlaw View Post
Help deflate my argument. If you have a medical marijuana card, aren't you in violation of federal law. So, you should not be able to vote because of an admitted felony.
It could probably be argued that way.

SCOTUS would ultimately have to determine (don't think it ever has) if 2A disqualifying felonies would have to either be "any felony" (i.e tax evasion, drug felonies, lying to FBI/Congress , etc.), or only "violent felonies" (i.e. robbery, felony assault, kidnapping, felony homicide, etc.) convictions.

I would venture to guess that a higher percentage of pot smokers lean to the left. I wonder what is more important to the left, the ability to smoke pot, or keeping their voters on the voter rolls?
adit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 02:48 PM #74
Outboard boat racing guy

Send a message via AIM to Mark75H
Outboard boat racing guy

Send a message via AIM to Mark75H
Quote:
Originally Posted by adit View Post
It could probably be argued that way.

SCOTUS would ultimately have to determine (don't think it ever has) if 2A disqualifying felonies would have to either be "any felony" (i.e tax evasion, drug felonies, lying to FBI/Congress , etc.), or only "violent felonies" (i.e. robbery, felony assault, kidnapping, felony homicide, etc.) convictions.

I would venture to guess that a higher percentage of pot smokers lean to the left. I wonder what is more important to the left, the ability to smoke pot, or keeping their voters on the voter rolls?
Haven't you been paying attention? "Restoring" the voting rights of felons has been pretty high on their list the past 5 years or so.

I am 100% against felons having any rights "restored". What is a felony if not a loss of rights?

If the left wants the punishments reduced, they should propose to have the crimes reduced to misdemeanors.

Thus, the only inquiry that this Court should conduct is to determine whether the firearms prohibited by the Act are protected by the Second Amendment. Because they are, the Act is simply unconstitutional.
Mark75H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 03:00 PM #75
ReMember

ReMember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
Haven't you been paying attention? "Restoring" the voting rights of felons has been pretty high on their list the past 5 years or so.

I am 100% against felons having any rights "restored". What is a felony if not a loss of rights?
2 follow up points.

1. If the Left "federally" argues to restore voting rights to felons does anyone come behind them and argue that 2A rights be restored because of the same. I doubt the Left would ever want 2A restoration.

2. If a felon is "safe" enough to be released back into the population, are they not "safe" enough for 2A restoration? If no, then I believe they should remain incarcerated until otherwise adjudicated.
adit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 03:08 PM #76
The Member

The Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiStandards View Post
Actually, Hawaii's legal monarchy should never have been overthrown by a cabal of US business interests.
If Hawaii's monarchy couldn't hold onto the kingdom against a couple of hundred guys then the don't deserve to keep it.

I lived there from 68 to 71 as a kid. The only thing keeping Hawaii afloat, to indict a certain member of the House of Representative, is the Japanese tourism.
TheBert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 03:51 PM #77
When All Else Fails.

When All Else Fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBert View Post
If Hawaii's monarchy couldn't hold onto the kingdom against a couple of hundred guys then the don't deserve to keep it.

I lived there from 68 to 71 as a kid. The only thing keeping Hawaii afloat, to indict a certain member of the House of Representative, is the Japanese tourism.
So if twenty MS-13 gang members broke into your home, killed you, raped your wife, and sold your kids into the sex trade, it would be OK because you couldn't defend your home and now your home belongs to them.

That's what I thought.

The US Cavalry shot little Indian kids in the back with .45-70 Government carbines. I guess they had it coming though. For not standing up to charging horses and soldiers with guns.

Stupid five year olds.
iH8DemLibz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 04:10 PM #78

I think the issues of convicted felons voting and convicted felons having 2nd Amendment rights are two separate issues, because they are based on two different goals. We disenfranchise convicted felons on the theory that if a person can't follow society's rules, he doesn't deserve to be able to help (indirectly) shape what those rules are or how they're enforced. We remove the 2nd Amendment rights of convicted felons on the theory that their being allowed to own guns creates a danger to society. It's not about punishing them "just because," because if that were the case, we could remove 1st Amendment rights too (which we can't).

Thus, it makes sense that we would only remove gun rights from convicts who are violent, while removing voting rights from other classes of criminals too.
GlocksAndPatriots is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 05:40 PM #79
The Member

The Member

You need to read up on Hawaiian history and the overthrowing of the monarchy of Hawaii.
TheBert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 12:04 AM #80

I do wish felonies were separate between violent and non violent.
If you’re 19yrs old and sold drugs got caught and pleaded guilty..does that mean you should never vote or own a firearm for the rest of your existence?
I don’t agree with that ..people change, some for better and for worse, for those that fixed their lives ever since, have clean records and are non violent crimes in the first place should be given a second opportunity.
Be it 10yrs or whatever, but to tell a 60yr old man he can’t buy a hunting rifle because of something stupid he did at 19? I don’t know if I follow that logic
Rape or murder etc are totally different story..
I think North Carolina is looking at doing this currently?
Rob R. is online now   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Gun Rights and Legislation > National 2A Issues