Pennsylvania CCW Permit (processing time)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Quick background, then I'll tell you why I was embarrassed and ashamed to be a MD resident today.

I have a MD permit (restricted for business purposes). I just completed a renewal and figured I would get my PA permit as well, considering FL was recently dropped. Took over two months, two emails and a live conversation with a Trooper reminding them that I had moved since the app, provided the new address to insure that wasn't delaying the process. (what address do you suppose the ended up mailing it to anyway). :sad20:

Over the weekend (last week) I filled out my 1 page PA CCW application (York County because they allow mail for the app). I included a copy of my MD license, MD DL and a change of address card from the MVA as I recently moved.

Here's the embarrassing part.

I mailed this letter from my rural mailbox in Elkton, MD on Tuesday, 1/5/16. This would mean that my mail carrier didn't get it back to post office (Elkton) late Tuesday afternoon, headed for Baltimore for sorting that evening.

I received an email at 6:21AM today (Friday, January 8th) from a Wayne L. Boyce notifying me that my carry permit is ready for pick up. The email included the days and hours in which I may stop in also a reminder that they do not allow electronic devices in the judicial building.

So, math wasn't my strong suit in school, but, I'm coming up with about 48 hours or so here. Lets reflect on this a bit. Literally less than THREE business days to process a permit including the actual physical mailing of the application and an NICS background check.

What exactly is the issue with Maryland, what is the issue with the MSP Licensing Division? Where is the major hold up in the processing of applications (regardless of the outcome) in this State?

Sad. :sad20:

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    You forgot Maryland includes an aging process for applications treating them like fine wines or cheese.

Gizmo98

Free At Last!!
    Nov 4, 2015
    Central PA
    Out of curiosity, why not just go to the sheriff's office initially. Can't you just go do the paperwork and pick it up at the same time? I'm not nitpicking,just trying to figure out the best way to get mine if I end up getting a MD permit. What's the benefit of mailing if you have to pick it up in person?

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Now you're going to have to pick up your permit. That will take a whopping 15 minutes which includes taking your picture. Maybe PA could reduce these wait times if they charged $25 instead of $20. Sarcasm galore.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Out of curiosity, why not just go to the sheriff's office initially. Can't you just go do the paperwork and pick it up at the same time? I'm not nitpicking,just trying to figure out the best way to get mine if I end up getting a MD permit. What's the benefit of mailing if you have to pick it up in person?
    I would have rather done Chester or Lancaster Co. (both closer to me). Neither of those allow mailing of the app, I only have time to stop in (once) as I am very busy with work.

This way I know the app is successfully processed, all I have to do is go and get my picture and they hand me the card.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    Why does the Chesapeake bay go almost to PA. Cause Maryland SUCKS that's why,

NOBODY

jaredm1

Ultimate Member
    Nov 22, 2008
    Shrewsbury

They can't always turn it around same day even in person. Depends on the county and their current workload. I went in person to York and needed to make two trips. Still, the wait time ended up being only 3 days (including Saturday and Sunday).

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Very similar experience with York County.

Mailed my application Monday morning at the Elkridge Post Office and got an email Thursday morning to come pick it up.

Fastest and cheapest permit I own.....

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Very similar experience with York County.

Mailed my application Monday morning at the Elkridge Post Office and got an email Thursday morning to come pick it up.

Fastest and cheapest permit I own.....
    Quick question on that, how many people have you shot and killed so far?

Certainly with such a non-cumbersome process it's like the wild west in PA right? Shootouts at the bowling alley,..... at the McDonald's drive through?

Has to be, there needs to be a reason this is such a pain in the dick process in Maryland.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Did any of you who just did York Co submit without a reference to doing business, owning property in York Co or having relatives living there?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I didn't mention business, supplied nothing other than what I mentioned in the OP. Also, you can send a $20 bill, that's kinda cool.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I checked the appropriate boxes, filled it all out in the pdf then printed and signed. Make sure you print two sided, they only want one page sent in...

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    Anyone comment on Adams County? Their site specifies 4-6 week process time.

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    Quick background, then I'll tell you why I was embarrassed and ashamed to be a MD resident today.

I have a MD permit (restricted for business purposes). I just completed a renewal and figured I would get my PA permit as well, considering FL was recently dropped. Took over two months, two emails and a live conversation with a Trooper reminding them that I had moved since the app, provided the new address to insure that wasn't delaying the process. (what address do you suppose the ended up mailing it to anyway). :sad20:

Over the weekend (last week) I filled out my 1 page PA CCW application (York County because they allow mail for the app). I included a copy of my MD license, MD DL and a change of address card from the MVA as I recently moved.

Here's the embarrassing part.

I mailed this letter from my rural mailbox in Elkton, MD on Tuesday, 1/5/16. This would mean that my mail carrier didn't get it back to post office (Elkton) late Tuesday afternoon, headed for Baltimore for sorting that evening.

I received an email at 6:21AM today (Friday, January 8th) from a Wayne L. Boyce notifying me that my carry permit is ready for pick up. The email included the days and hours in which I may stop in also a reminder that they do not allow electronic devices in the judicial building.

So, math wasn't my strong suit in school, but, I'm coming up with about 48 hours or so here. Lets reflect on this a bit. Literally less than THREE business days to process a permit including the actual physical mailing of the application and an NICS background check.

What exactly is the issue with Maryland, what is the issue with the MSP Licensing Division? Where is the major hold up in the processing of applications (regardless of the outcome) in this State?

Sad. :sad20:
    Maryland doesn't want you to have a permit that's why.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom