• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trepang

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2015
    Southern Illinois
    New to the site and I am looking for input on a nightstand gun, specifically a revolver.

At first I was pretty much set on a S&W Governor and loading it with 000 buckshot but now the S&W .357 686 Plus has caught my eye. I like the idea behind the Governor - this gun will be for self defense purposes only.

Curious of the opinions of those with more experience.

Thanks

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    686 or Ruger Gp-100 are both fine choices. The S&W Governor is a copy of the Taurus Judge and a silly gimmick. You want a shotgun, get a shotgun for the house. For a defensive revolver, .357 mag is your strongest easily fed option.

Rockfish

Feb 26, 2013
    Don't forget to train a bit with the gun if your new to firearms. In my opinion even though a revolver is as simple as it gets, if your new to having a firearm for self defense, I applaud you on taking the initiative to defend yourself, but for safety sake you should get some practice in. You will feel much more comfortable knowing that if the need arises to use the gun you're ready to go. Also make sure to get rounds suitable for home defense. Over penetration and stopping power are factors to consider and Fmj isn't ideal. Not to mention shooting is great fun and you might end up having a new hobby. Congrats and welcome.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Find a revolver that you'll want to take to the range every single time you go.

When it becomes like your favorite pair of jeans, that's the one you'll want on the nightstand.

Some good ones mentioned here. Renting a few can be a very good place to start.

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    New to the site and I am looking for input on a nightstand gun, specifically a revolver.

At first I was pretty much set on a S&W Governor and loading it with 000 buckshot but now the S&W .357 686 Plus has caught my eye. I like the idea behind the Governor - this gun will be for self defense purposes only.

Curious of the opinions of those with more experience.

Thanks

Where are you located? If you are around SOMD I'll let you try a couple of mine out.

I won't be back in town till after the new year though.

If that doesn't work, try renting as already suggested, Best to try some different choices.

rfawcs

Si Se Pwodway
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 15, 2008
    Waldorf, MD
    If you have close neighbors, I would not recommend any revolver more powerful than .38 Special. If you can put CT Lasergrips on it, more the better.

I have three handguns readily available: a suppressed Glock 19, a S&W Model 15, and a S&W SD9; flashlights with all three.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Does that fit in a night stand? :innocent0

***Haha! Well done! Maybe not a nightstand but....Also has a nice integral light...AND spare ammo for those multiple assailant home invasions :lol2:

Attachments

• ar15lamp.jpg
      ar15lamp.jpg
      5.3 KB · Views: 554

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Another vote for a .357 (can put .38's in if it needed) and against the .410 pistol.

Lots of good options out there, I prefer non-lock S&W's or Rugers myself.

The S&W R8 was mentioned and I would have at least one today except for that lock; which I will not buy.

Crab Bait

Ultimate Member
    Mar 2, 2011
    Pasadena
    Find a revolver that you'll want to take to the range every single time you go.

When it becomes like your favorite pair of jeans, that's the one you'll want on the nightstand.

Some good ones mentioned here. Renting a few can be a very good place to start.

Ah, then my group buy S&W 64 fits the bill. What a sweet shooter for, what was it... 275 or something practically free like that?

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    For the amount of money you'll spend on a 686, you could buy a decent AR-15 and mags and have a better and easier to shoot accurately rifle.
    I agree.

Edit: OP, It's better to have something than nothing. Don't over think it. I sometimes carry a 22lr revolver (in very special circumstances). People focus on the gun. Focus on your resolve to fight using whatever tools you have available. Either of your choices is fine.

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Before selecting a specific gun, you should ask yourself these (and, possibly, other) important questions:
    • Where do I live and is over-penetration an issue (it's more of an issue if you live with your family in a small apartment in town rather than alone in a single-family house out in the country)?
    • What type of firearm do I have the most experience/comfort with? (Remember, you're likely gonna be half-asleep when forced to reach for that gun next to your bed! Can you handle a powerful sidearm at 3.23am when petrified with your wife screaming in your ear?)
    • What type(s) of threat am I most worried about (e.g., strange noise downstairs, home invasion by multiple intruders, robbery, someone I know who's threatened me, SHTF, etc.)?
    • How well can I (and/or my spouse) tolerate loud noises in my bedroom?
    • What types of crimes are typical in your neighborhood?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom