• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    See that crud ring? When it finally broke free it smelled liked cooked carbon from an engine block. The same kind of smell like that comes off a crank case or sludged up oil pan.
    Couple of days of Kroil and a cheater wouldn't hardly do it.
    InkedIMG_1168_LI.jpg

DavidA

The Master of Disaster
    Dec 6, 2013
    Annapolis
    I was stripping a 700 Rem action and the only thing that worked was heating the receiver at the recoil lug. It was a 2006 Remington 700 SPS stainless. Have no idea what they put on the barrel threads, but it was not barrel grease. I had to dissolve the gunk left in the threads. It looked like a locktite type of material.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike3888

Mike3888
    Feb 21, 2013
    Dundalk, Md-Mifflin,Pa
    See that crud ring? When it finally broke free it smelled liked cooked carbon from an engine block. The same kind of smell like that comes off a crank case or sludged up oil pan.
    Couple of days of Kroil and a cheater wouldn't hardly do it.
    View attachment 259571

That thing looks like it was painful to remove Doc. Glad you didn’t let it beat you.
    I had that issue on a 700 Rem. Soaked it in sheild for a few days and still needed a cheater.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Not even a satisfying crack or sonic boom when it broke loose like you hear about. I was going to hang a weight on the action wrench and leave but couldn't get my set up in a way to where I could puddle some kroil up to the breech so it could seep in better.
    Alot of US rifles with acme/square threads have the extractor cut milled out to where it meets the threads and penetrating oil can creep in if you give it time. m17's-p14's are very like this but get filled up with powder fouling which is why every body says they're hard to get off I think.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    I routinely stand the barrel on the muzzle, plug the chamber, and soak Kroil in the receiver for a few days before I pull any barrel. Only in the worst cases does the Kroil not eventually start seeping out of the joint between the receiver and shoulder. Then it's ready for the vise and sometimes still needs a smack with a mallet.

A week of Kroil and sliding a 25 lb barbell weight on the end of the cheater bar overnight worked on an Enfield for me once. I gave up on it and just left it that way. Next day, after work, the weight was on the floor and the receiver unscrewed by hand. I got lucky on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom