• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    What exactly is worded in the law that prevents this from being abused? "In good faith" is not a prevention.

Yeah, I'm kind of curious on that as well.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Between 2 and 3... you forgot...

2A) the Police investigate the complaint and talk to the students involved... ascertain that they were in fact talking about COD... Converse with them about which level they are currently on... and tell the teachers... thanks for calling... but try to be less suspicious in the future... and more judicious in asking the students to explain. :cool:

Part of what Hogan actually did fight for before agreeing to sign the 1302... was legal assurance written into the law that it would not allow it be abused by those looking to use it to "SWAT" people they don't like.

Bolded part: There’s in no evidence anywhere that this is true. Lawn Chair Larry was hands off. MSI President Mark Pennak hounded the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee when the Red Flag bill arrived from the House designating any living Democrat as someone who could ERPO any firearms owners.

Senate JPC Committee Chair Robert Zirkin recognized the embarrassment and ridicule the House bill would bring to the MGA and acceded to the narrower petitioner list we have now.

Despite Mark Pennak’s forceful and COMPELLING testimony and lobbying, there would never be the acceptance that the Red Flag law violates Due Process at its most basic level. (As best we could, Deep Lurker and I were also at the JPC for 10 straight hours providing Mark with the best assist we could.)

The “word on the street” was that Sen. President Mike Miller ordered the Red Flag law pushed through, or political heads would roll.

Attachments

• 40597CC7-22A8-444F-94D3-28B50639AD95.jpeg
      40597CC7-22A8-444F-94D3-28B50639AD95.jpeg
      80.2 KB · Views: 245
    Last edited:

East2West

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 20, 2013
    Nomalley, Nobama
    Between 2 and 3... you forgot...

2A) the Police investigate the complaint and talk to the students involved... ascertain that they were in fact talking about COD... Converse with them about which level they are currently on... and tell the teachers... thanks for calling... but try to be less suspicious in the future... and more judicious in asking the students to explain. :cool:

Part of what Hogan actually did fight for before agreeing to sign the 1302... was legal assurance written into the law that it would not allow it be abused by those looking to use it to "SWAT" people they don't like.

Yeah I'm sure that's how it would play out every single time.

Shinny

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2012
    I can see this happening:
    1) teacher overhears a student talking about shooting "all of them that come through the door"
    2) teacher reports it to police
    3) police request ERPO
    4) police show up at house and take all the firearms.
    5) turns out the kid was talking about his next level on his call of duty video game
    Now the owner has to jump through all the legal hoops to try and get his guns back. This Will happen sooner than later.

This has already happened. The ERPO was obtained prior to any investigation.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Bolded part: There’s in no evidence anywhere that this is true. Lawn Chair Larry was hands off. MSI President Mark Pennak hounded the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee when the Red Flag bill arrived from the House designating any living Democrat as someone who could ERPO any firearms owners.

Senate JPC Committee Chair Robert Zirkin recognized the embarrassment and ridicule the House bill would bring to the MGA and acceded to the narrower petitioner list we have now.

Despite Mark Pennak’s forceful and COMPELLING testimony and lobbying, there would never be the acceptance that the Red Flag law violates Due Process at its most basic level. (As best we could, Deep Lurker and I were also at the JPC for 10 straight hours providing Mark with the best assist we could.)

The “word on the street” was that Sen. President Mike Miller ordered the Red Flag law pushed through, or political heads would roll.

And word I got was that Hogan wanted the limitation on persons who could apply for a ERPO held to LEO, Health Professionals, and immediate relative/domestic partners.

And that’s why the MGA is planning on attempting to broaden the list to include folks currently not allowed to apply.

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    This has already happened. The ERPO was obtained prior to any investigation.
    Hope that's not going to be the norm for LEO generated ERPOs, especially if they're going on hearsay from individuals that don't live with the targeted party and could be trying to create a problem for the targeted party.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    If anyone thinks Sideline Larry tried to limit powers on this bill is laughable he gave his blessing and smiled for the cameras , that is how I remember it . Pictures don't lie

daNattyFatty

Ultimate Member
    Aug 27, 2009
    Bel Air, MD
    Hope that's not going to be the norm for LEO generated ERPOs, especially if they're going on hearsay from individuals that don't live with the targeted party and could be trying to create a problem for the targeted party.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That’s something that I mentioned awhile back about LEO initiated ERPOs. People are going to be shocked at what passes/is accepted for an “investigation”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I thought I'd post up what the actual ERPO looks like. Look at the disclaimer at the bottom of page 2. Penalty of perjury and good faith all in the same sentence. What a crock....

Attachments

• Maryland-Petition-for-Extreme-Risk-Protection-Order-1.jpg
      Maryland-Petition-for-Extreme-Risk-Protection-Order-1.jpg
      106 KB · Views: 193
    • Maryland-Petition-for-Extreme-Risk-Protection-Order-2.jpg
      Maryland-Petition-for-Extreme-Risk-Protection-Order-2.jpg
      89.2 KB · Views: 365

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    It looks like an ERPO can be submitted because you unlawfully, recklessly or negligently store your firearms. That according to part 3 on the form. I wonder who determines that? The petitioner? WOW.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    I thought I'd post up what the actual ERPO looks like. Look at the disclaimer at the bottom of page 2. Penalty of perjury and good faith all in the same sentence. What a crock....

Not liable for filing the petition is not the same as not liable for perjury in doing so. Will probably be tested in court more than once and will probably fall both ways depending on the temperment of the judge hearing the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom