• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I have been hunting deer with a 12 ga. Mossberg Slugster for the last 10 years with good success. My only 2 complaints have been 1) it's a heavy beast and 2) it's a finicky eater...I have tried to feed it just about every sabot slug on the market and the Winchester BRI is really the only thing that produces decent (but not great) groups out to 75 yards or so. Most of the deer I have shot have been in the 35-50 yard range and they drop like rocks with the 1 ounce lead slugs.Last season I had several opportunities to see deer out well beyond what I was comfortable taking a shot at so I let them walk..

This year I purchased a Savage 220 after reading raves about their supposed rifle like accuracy out to 200 yrds. Savage recommends Remington accutips but my LGS as well as Bass Pro and Cabelas seem to be semi permanently out of stock on the 3" version of that round. I was able to buy some at MidwayUSA but I would prefer to use something that I can easily find locally. the Hornady SSTs seem to be everywhere.
    Has anyone with a 220 used them and if so, what kind of accuracy are you getting? I would like to see a maximum of 3" groups at 100 yrds

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Try the new Browning BXS slugs. I, too, experimented with different slugs to find an alternative to the hard-to-find Accutips. The BXS slugs shot well and were less expensive too.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Have you tried the 2.75in AccuTips ? Only 50fps difference, and Bambi will never notice .

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    I bought a 220 when they first came out. Out to 50 yards, SSTs shot one hole groups. Once they hit 75 yards, the groups started opening up and they were keyholing by 100 yards and shot placement was inconsistent at best. It shot the Remingtons well, but at double the cost (at the time) of other rounds. I wound up using Brennekes and they were 2-3MOA. I got a H&R Ultra Slugger thumbhole stock and it shot everything 1 MOA +/- and I sold the 220 and never looked back. I might look at a semi auto shotty in the future, but I hunt rifle, so I am not in a hurry.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    When I used to hunt Caroline with a sg I found the Winchester BRI worked the best for me. (20ga). Eventually I just went back to using foster slugs in a smooth bore only because they were cheap and I was getting in close so any sort of range wasn't a big concern. When I hunted outside of the woods I just carried a MZ for extended ranges.
    I never did find anything that was an end all be all in any of the shotguns I frequently used and sold them all off except for one or two 20 ga. barrels that I still have around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom