• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Hey guys, try as I might I can’t find an answer to this and I can’t remember the process from a quarter century ago. My oldest son is ten, has been shooting for a while and I would like to take him hunting this year. I know I can have him take the course, but as best I can tell he needs to do the field day portion as well to get a certificate and this a license- but the field day portion requires he be thirteen. I know Maryland added an “apprentice” license but that is a one time ever license. Am I missing something? Is the listed age requirement for the field day portion in error? I’m scratching my head...

moparmike610

Feb 28, 2017
    Hughesville
    Hey guys, try as I might I can’t find an answer to this and I can’t remember the process from a quarter century ago. My oldest son is ten, has been shooting for a while and I would like to take him hunting this year. I know I can have him take the course, but as best I can tell he needs to do the field day portion as well to get a certificate and this a license- but the field day portion requires he be thirteen. I know Maryland added an “apprentice” license but that is a one time ever license. Am I missing something? Is the listed age requirement for the field day portion in error? I’m scratching my head...
    When I got my sons hunter safety card at 10 he and all the little ones did the field day and had to shoot (20ga or 22lr ) and got his hunters license as well

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    the thirteen year old requirement is only to be able to take the online class instead of the in person classroom day. It is not for the field day.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Take the full course somewhere. My son took it at 7 and learned a lot. They have some pretty good people doing my presentations. It was worth the time.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    Much obliged guys - I was looking at the field participation not realizing it was for the internet side of the course. That wasn’t an option when I did it way back when! Ugh, I feel dumb. Thanks again!

Yingpin

Ultimate Member
    May 31, 2013
    Kingsville, MD
    My son is 9 and starting the course this week at BCGF Wed & Thursday this week, Wed & Thursday next week and Sat 9/29. Maybe you can register and join us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom