• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    Hi everyone. Pretty new to the firearm world, but I'm jumping in head first!! One question I have for the experienced. I seem to notice very odd customer service at 90% of gun stores I visit. Do they NOT make money off of gun sales?? I'm in a customer service business, and couldn't ever fathom treating people the way I've been treated!

I'm not trying to break down prices, or haggle anything. My wallet is totally open to what's listed, and I'm very much interested in supporting my local small business. It makes me scratch my head.

I would very mush appreciate any info on these experiences. Is it just a different world/standard at gun shops?? There is an out of state store that have been nothing but 100% professional, and kind. It's a shame they're so far away. Thanks for any info!

CrabcakesAndFootball

Jun 14, 2017
    Hi everyone. Pretty new to the firearm world, but I'm jumping in head first!! One question I have for the experienced. I seem to notice very odd customer service at 90% of gun stores I visit. Do they NOT make money off of gun sales?? I'm in a customer service business, and couldn't ever fathom treating people the way I've been treated!

I'm not trying to break down prices, or haggle anything. My wallet is totally open to what's listed, and I'm very much interested in supporting my local small business. It makes me scratch my head.

I would very mush appreciate any info on these experiences. Is it just a different world/standard at gun shops?? There is an out of state store that have been nothing but 100% professional, and kind. It's a shame they're so far away. Thanks for any info!

I've run into this a fair amount in my also limited experience. At my LGS in particular, it really depends on the individual that you are dealing with. Some are great, some are fine, and some...I just shake my head and wonder why the owner allows them to interact with the public.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    OP,

Not knowing where you're from, Baltimore county has two great shops with great people. They'll treat you well and with respect.

Duffy's Gun Shop.

Free State Gun Shop and Indoor Range.

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD

Noticed that too. A lot of very bad reviews, mostly noticing very poor customer service. I thought that small town, closed minded attitude stopped ages ago. Guess not...

I made the drive to Gym Ratz Nutrition. Good folks there. Bit of a drive for me from Annapolis (They are located in Mechanicsville).

Livingthedream

Feb 20, 2017
    Welcome to the forum. I get the same feeling in almost every shop I go into. I just assumed its because there are a lot of regulations and you never know someones intent when buying a gun. You have to be suspisious of everyone until you get to know them. The best service I have ever had was at gymratz. They are awesome people.

nomade

Apr 26, 2014
    I mainly deal with shops in MoCo, and only one time I felt like they did not want my money.
    But as others said, I guess everyone tried to be cautious.
    I think you have to visit the shops regularly and make you known. Even if you are not going to buy anything. I work close to United Gun Shop and they always have treat me right.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Gun people are cheap people
    Then there are the do bad people

Gun shops deal with a lot more crap than people probably realize

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    I use Engage in Rockville. Never a bad experience in 10 years of dealing with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Howdy. Join our fight.

www.marylandshallissue.org

. IMG_0191.JPG

Last edited:

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    OP,

Not knowing where you're from, Baltimore county has two great shops with great people. They'll treat you well and with respect.

Duffy's Gun Shop.

Thank you, I will definitely keep them in mind.

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    Welcome to the forum. I get the same feeling in almost every shop I go into. I just assumed its because there are a lot of regulations and you never know someones intent when buying a gun. You have to be suspisious of everyone until you get to know them. The best service I have ever had was at gymratz. They are awesome people.

I think I’m with you about stores suspicions. I guess it would just be nice if we as customers didn’t have to assume anything. If that’s how they need to be, so be it. At least I would understand the weird attitudes. It just seems like these places don’t want to make money!

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    Let me guess, you went in, and were ignored. Because employees that were supposed to be selling guns are too busy talking to their "buds".

Saw this at two IPs in Baltimore county. Had a customer service breakdown at the store of an IP south of Baltimore. That's about as specific as I will get.

So here is the short list of IPs that have done me right. No order, just as they came to me......

-Duffy's
    -SCSG
    -Engage
    -Hafers
    -High Rock (I bought like half my guns from Gary :party29: )

All of these have provided TOP NOTCH service.

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    Yes indeed, then add in the Maryland gun laws nightmare...I am surprised we have any shops left.

Ha, that’s what gets me scratching my head!! I’m in a store looking to spend money, but they act like I’m bothering them. Why even have a business, if you don’t want to interact with customers?

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Yep, old boys club versus professional business. Takes a while to figure out who is who but once you do, spend money where it's appreciated.

Without knowing which part of the state you are in it's difficult to get relevant local shops that want your sales.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    OP,

Duffy's Gun Shop.

Duffy’s and The Gun Shop (in Essex) are my go-to shops.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Now you know why places that know how to treat customers (like people) like Duffy's and Freestate are thriving while the Grumps In Dumps are blaming everyone but themselves for their falling income.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    Where are you located? My go to is Top Gun in Fallston.

Honestly I think with all the crazies these folks deal with, and the laws they have to navigate, and trying to filter out people they shouldn't sell to, it may take them more than one visit to warm to you.

With that being said, you shouldn't be ignored.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom