What guns would you take on an expedition to Alaska?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    This is just for fun...

Over the past few years there has been a growing number of 'survival' shows; many of them focused on individuals and small groups orienteering and surviving. Shows like: Dual Survival, Man vs. Wild, Get out Alive, Running Wild, Naked and Afraid, Man Woman Wild, Fat Guys in the Woods, Survive the Tribe, and Survivorman.

I trace the origin of all these survival TV shows to 1994 England. A British survival instructor named Ray Mears created several series for the BBC, such as Tracks, Extreme Survival, and World of Survival. He was more of an instructor than showman.

The question I pose to you, good reader of MDShooters; inspired by the concept of surviving in rural Alaska - which gun(s) would you take to harvest food, and protect yourself from predators (both four legged and two)? Sharing your rationale is half the fun; why did you chose each gun and caliber? What features, i.e. - light weight, range, accuracy, capacity, reliability, maintenance, simplicity most influenced your choices?

Not limiting number of guns, but remember in this expedition you will have to travel long distances over very rough terrain; this is not a set up base camp scenario. The show most like what I'm posing is Ultimate Survival Alaska. If you have never seen the show here's the critical bits to know, from the show:

One of the toughest competitions in the world is back for round three as 12 of the world's toughest outdoorsmen face off against each other, Mother Nature, and their own will to survive. This fight to the finish isn't about money or a prize; it's about pushing the limits of human endurance. It's a dangerous test of strength and determination. And in the end, only one team will be crowned the winner. Four teams—Military, Endurance, Alaskans, and this season's new team, Lower 48—face peaks, deadly tidal waves, massive glaciers, bottomless crevasses, man-eating predators and treacherous white water. In each of the 13 legs this season, teams have just 60 hours to make it from start to finish … surviving off the land with only the gear on their backs. No GPS. No phones. No mercy.

Enough background. Alaska is big, what would you pack?

ASA_usa_alaska.jpg

Last edited:

Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Weatherby 300 Mag. Smith Model 629 in 4 inch.

If the Weatherby cannot reach it, good. If the Weatherby can't kill it, it's not of this world.

44 mag is no joke. Anything inside the wire absolutely, positively would bow to a half dozen (or less) 240 grain Barnes brand Valentines. If not, I'd be a unwilling and not so tasty meal.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Think I'm with swinokur...would go 10mm auto and 300 Win Mag. Used to carry a .45 auto when I lived in Anchorage years ago while outdoors. Knew full well it wouldn't put down a grizzly but most of the attacks were from black bears and I felt confident I could fend off or put down a black bear with it. For grizzly country, would want something with more velocity/penetration. I'm not a wheel gun guy so 10mm would prob be my choice.

Wasn't into hunting at the time like I am now...for hunting up there I would want a .30 cal or bigger magnum rifle that's scoped and light enough to carry up and down rugged terrain. You could get by with less (308, 30-06, even rifled slug guns) by limiting yourself to shorter distances but a 300 Win Mag would give you more range against truly big game.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Think I'm with swinokur...would go 10mm auto and 300 Win Mag. Used to carry a .45 auto when I lived in Anchorage years ago while outdoors. Knew full well it wouldn't put down a grizzly but most of the attacks were from black bears and I felt confident I could fend off or put down a black bear with it. For grizzly country, would want something with more velocity/penetration. I'm not a wheel gun guy so 10mm would prob be my choice.

Wasn't into hunting at the time like I am now...for hunting up there I would want a .30 cal or bigger magnum rifle that's scoped and light enough to carry up and down rugged terrain. You could get by with less (308, 30-06, even rifled slug guns) by limiting yourself to shorter distances but a 300 Win Mag would give you more range against truly big game.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I would take by 338 Win Mag, only because I sold my 375 H&H.

Why? Use enough gun same... as Africa.
    Lewis & Clark used flintlocks on grizzly, that made their lives more interesting that I want to experience.

Hjaalmarch

Jan 7, 2014
    .45 sounds pretty good. I have heard stories of people hunting bears with gigantic pistols before, like .44 Magnums and the like. Never tried 10MM before, but it sounds like the right tool for Alaska, as others said.

Bear-hunting, yeesh.

Probably some kind of .308 for the rest.

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    If this is limited to what we already own, then my M1a Socom with a 1x-8x optic and my S&W Governor. I know the 45 acp won't drop a bear but I think a 410 slug my convince him I'm not dinner and the 45 long colt has some punch to it as well. My Mossberg 590 with a bird's head grip, in a scabbard, attached to my rucksack would be in my arsenal as well, lots of choices as far as ammo is concerned where the 12 gauge and 410 bore are concerned so a shotgun is a must.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I want a 41 Magnum sidearm, and a .30-'06 rifle. My head tells me I'd opt for more gun in both instances in a perfect world. But my best guess would be that Alaska could present a whole lot less than perfect tomorrow. My gut tells me I'd want to go with what I know best and am most familiar with today, and I'll make it work.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Something light, either a custom lever gun in .454 or .500 S&W. Probably .454 as its enough for bear in full load and you can keep some .45 LC for lighter weight work. If you can find a takedown all the better. .454 can easily handle larger game out to 150 yards with good shot placement. .454 can do everything .45-70 can plus some.

http://www.bighornarmory.com/catalog/big-horn-armory-products/model-89-carbine-500-sandw-2/

Coupled with something light in .22 for a meat gun (e.g., Ruger 22/45) since 90% of your protein forage will likely be small game. A lightweight single action revolver may be a better choice so you can run snakeshot for small close range birding if needed.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    In the cold climate, I would want the simple operation of a wheel gun. I would take my S&W Model 29, 44 magnum. For a rifle, I would take my Garand.

MY225

Victoria Vel Servitus
    Jan 8, 2010
    My S&W model 66 357 the Model 700 Rem 30-06 mountain rifle with tip off Weaver 2X7 scope and the Marlin Papooses .22cal rifle with a detachable Weaver 4 power scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom