• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I'm not sure why, but lately I have been thinking of buying a Thompson Center Contender. Share your thoughts on these with me. What's good and what's bad about them?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I've thought about getting one several times over the years, just never got around to it. I really like the idea of slapping a new barrel on and have a new caliber to shoot. I shot one that a friend had years ago; .223, 41 mag and 30-30. I really enjoyed shooting it. Very accurate

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    I've owned a few over the years, I currently have 2, one in 44 mag and 300 whisper. The 300 will shoot 2" groups at a 100 yards with a 10" barrel and 4 power scope. I've been thinking of picking up a 223 barrel for it. I haven't heard and can't say anything bad about the ones I've owned.

Mooseman

R.I.P.- Hooligan #4
    Jan 3, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Thanks for the help guys. I was really hoping to hear some bad things so I could quit thinking about buying one. Oh well, I guess I may have to get one.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    My Dad has one. The receiver sat unused for most of my childhood until one day we were at the York gun show and a vendor had a whole table of barrels. Came home with a 12" target barrel and forend in 17 HMR. Needless to say it shoots like a pop gun with that massive barrel and such a small cartridge. Very accurate and fun to shoot. One day I'll look for more barrels.

I've always been told that there is a barrel for the pistol in .45-70 Govt but I have never seen one. I'd shoot it...once :D

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    I want a TC Encore (pistol)...bad. Nobody seems to have them, or be able to get one unfortunately.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    The gun shop had one used but unfired last week. I don't remember what caliber. I have a rifle and my father has a rifle in .222. They are nice firearms.

eightshot627

Apr 10, 2008
    Thurmont
    The bad:

Makes hunting more challenging. If you plan on hunting with it barrels longer 10 inches with optics are almost impossible to hold steady offhand even to make short distant shots. But with a rest they are as accurate as you can hold it. A solid rest from a tree stand or a tripod/bipod is a must.

The older style Contenders must be broken open to re-cock the hammer after letting the hammer down. The G2 Contenders and Encores don’t have this issue.

Highly addictive: 2 Contender frames, 5 pistol barrels, 1 carbine barrel, various forends to match the barrels, various grips and a butt stock. (keeping the Encore stuff out of this)

Walt

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Contenders are good, you should have one. If you want to shoot offhand on purpose , they 10in is the way to go.

You can certainly tell you fired it with the .45-70 bbl , but if you're used to a full power .44mag , it's not a big deal.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The T/C Contender and descendants are favorites of the Hunter Pistol crowd.if you miss with one, it is the shooter.

My first Contender was a 10" Armaloy in 30/30 Win and a 2x scope. It would shoot into 1 1/4" and less @100 yards all day long with a 110 grain handload. The three barrels I have now are typical T/C quality. The 22 Match barrel is a great squirrel gun.

Last edited:

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    Everybody should own at least one T/C Contender.

I still have one.

7mm TC/u 14" bull barrel.
    .22lr 14" bull barrel.
    .357 Magnum 10" bull barrel.
    .30 Herrett 10" bull barrel.

I did have a 10" 7mm TC/u barrel, a 14" .44 magnum barrel, a 14" 7mm Int'l Rimmed (necked down .30-30 cartridge, similar to 7-30 Waters) and a 10" .22 lr barrel.

The ONLY caliber I couldn't get to 'shoot', was the 14" .44 magnum barrel.
    With Federal 180 or 240 grain factory loads, it shot incredibly well.
    With handloads...... no matter what combination I tried, I'd get 'patterns' instead of groups.
    Practically gave it away!

The 7mm TC/u is one fantastic cartridge!!!!!! From 50 yards to 200 yards, 2 'clicks' change in the rear sight.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Presuming you are knowingly looking at * large handguns with rifle like accuraccy , with capabilities of low powered to (very) high powered ctgs , there is no downside. Even the 1st generation having to slightly break the action is only a minor quirk , and not a "flaw" .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom