• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Can't find an answer on the net pertaining to my particular problem with port alignment. I have an Lr308 and when I put the gas tube in the block, the roll pin holes line up perfectly but the gas ports do not. About 85-90% of the gas tube's port is showing in the gas block. I tested this same gas block with 2 different tubes. Gas block out of spec?

Attachments

• tmp-cam-1506870189.jpg
      tmp-cam-1506870189.jpg
      24.6 KB · Views: 319

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    I for one was a little confused reading this...to clarify, the hole that appears to be not lining up is one of the set screw holes at the bottom, is that correct?

I for one was a little confused reading this...to clarify, the hole that appears to be not lining up is one of the set screw holes at the bottom, is that correct?

Negative, that was the only way I was able to get that picture by looking down through the set screw hole. It's the gas tube inlet hole not lining up with the gas block's outlet hole if that makes any sense. The little bit of metal peeking in from the left is the gas tube inlet hole. I'm scared that gas is going to force its way out from in between the gas tube and gas block and cause cycling issues or worse.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    If that's the case, then either the gas block is out of spec, or the gas port was drilled in the wrong place. My guess is the gas block is out of spec...those gas blocks with 3 holes for set screws (which I think your is) are generally Chinese made....I'd get a good mil-spec gas block and try that. Hope that helps.

If that gas block and the gas port are not perfectly lined up, you can be assured you will have cycling issues....

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Thinking about this more...I'm still confused...you set the gas block , and the set screws go to the underneath of the barrel. Is there a dimple to the underside of the barrel throwing this off??

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    I think you will be fine. The hole in the gas tube and the gas block are a lot bigger than the gas port on the barrel. As long as the gas port on the barrel is completely covered, you should be fine. Also most rifles are over gassed, so it would still probably cycle fine.

I have an adjustable gas block and I can tune my gas down considerably and my rifle still cycles like a champ.

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017
    Carbine. I'm just wondering if that little bit of the gas tube surface exposed will catch the gas coming out of the barrel gas port when firing and end up causing a gap to form and just blowing gas out the back of it.
    I don't think that will be a problem either. Put it together and fire it before you buy a new gb.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Carbine. I'm just wondering if that little bit of the gas tube surface exposed will catch the gas coming out of the barrel gas port when firing and end up causing a gap to form and just blowing gas out the back of it.

I wouldn't worry about that. Gas blocks self seal via fouling. Let that happen and don't remove the GB to 'clean' the fouling. All GBs do this as part of the break-in process.

[/B]

I wouldn't worry about that. Gas blocks self seal via fouling. Let that happen and don't remove the GB to 'clean' the fouling. All GBs do this as part of the break-in process.

I'll tell you this, with the gas tube/block assembly pinned together detached from the barrel, I covered the gas tube/block hole with my finger and blew into the receiver end of the tube and could hear and feel air escaping from the area where the tube slides into the block.

I don't want to sound like I'm calling you a liar, your post count tells me you're well versed in firearms in general. I'm just having a hard time believing that carbon fouling is going to hold back a force of 45k+ psi.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'll tell you this, with the gas tube/block assembly pinned together detached from the barrel, I covered the gas tube/block hole with my finger and blew into the receiver end of the tube and could hear and feel air escaping from the area where the tube slides into the block.

I don't want to sound like I'm calling you a liar, your post count tells me you're well versed in firearms in general. I'm just having a hard time believing that carbon fouling is going to hold back a force of 45k+ psi.

Outrider is correct.

Carbon is like clotted blood. The gas system will bleed carbon till it seals up.

Some people insist on cleaning the barrel after each time it's shot. This works against the carbon clotting and tries to unclot the carbon.

It is possible for a new gun to have undergassed issues if there is enough bleeding.

Adjustable Gas Blocks always bleed so they often need more gas to run the system properly.

As far as your original question about the misalignment of the gas tube port in the gas block port. I see it often.

It could be the gas block or gas tube that's not in spec. In these cases I find a # drill bit that snugly fits the gas passage in the gas block. Install the Gas Tube a d Roll Pin and then insert the drill bit and manually try to deburring the gas tube port overhanging in the gas path. Dont use a powered drill as you can drill through the gas tube.

You want an unobstructed gas path from the barrels gas port to the gas tube. No overlapping or misalignment.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Pic #1 carbon fouling around the spring and roll pin on an SLR GB
    Pic #2 see 'blown' pattern of carbon on the barrel just in front of the block(arc pattern)?
    Pic #3 fouling around another SLR GB(it even appears inside the cut-out).

I wouldn't sh!t you. No reason to.

Attachments

• GB1.jpg
      GB1.jpg
      39.4 KB · Views: 143
    • GB2.jpg
      GB2.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 155
    • GB3.jpg
      GB3.jpg
      38.9 KB · Views: 150

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Listen to Outrider and Clandestine. They're spot on.

The gas tube doesn't need to be boot camp clean to function properly. Even if it leaks a little, if it's functioning, then that's just a cosmetic issue that a rag will take care of. As they said, it will be self healing if you don't soak it with cleaners and/or spray it with carb cleaner anally.
    Get your holes lined up and go shoot. If your gas block seals to the barrel OK and the holes are aligned, then she'll probably be fine.

I'm just having a hard time believing that carbon fouling is going to hold back a force of 45k+ psi.

If it makes you feel better, you'll only see a bit over 1/3 of that in a Carbine length gas system according to NSWC Crane testing of the M-4 Carbine. Here's a link to a presentation about testing 14.5 inch barrel uppers for reliability and performance due to changes in the gas system length. M855A1 5.56mm Ball was used for testing.
    https://partner-mco-archive.s3.amazonaws.com/client_files/1527866983.pdf

Port Pressure 7.8 inches in front of the Bolt Face 17,000 PSI
    Port Pressure 13 inches in front of the Bolt Face 10,000 PSI.

P.S. I did attend Armorer's School when in the Marine Corps in a past life, though I have never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, ever. Hence, I think I'm right, but not the final authority on everything AR.
    I believe Clandestine works on and builds them for a living.

Listen to Outrider and Clandestine. They're spot on.

The gas tube doesn't need to be boot camp clean to function properly. Even if it leaks a little, if it's functioning, then that's just a cosmetic issue that a rag will take care of. As they said, it will be self healing if you don't soak it with cleaners and/or spray it with carb cleaner anally.
    Get your holes lined up and go shoot. If your gas block seals to the barrel OK and the holes are aligned, then she'll probably be fine.

If it makes you feel better, you'll only see a bit over 1/3 of that in a Carbine length gas system according to NSWC Crane testing of the M-4 Carbine. Here's a link to a presentation about testing 14.5 inch barrel uppers for reliability and performance due to changes in the gas system length. M855A1 5.56mm Ball was used for testing.
    https://partner-mco-archive.s3.amazonaws.com/client_files/1527866983.pdf

Port Pressure 7.8 inches in front of the Bolt Face 17,000 PSI
    Port Pressure 13 inches in front of the Bolt Face 10,000 PSI.

P.S. I did attend Armorer's School when in the Marine Corps in a past life, though I have never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, ever. Hence, I think I'm right, but not the final authority on everything AR.
    I believe Clandestine works on and builds them for a living.

Not at all worried about how it looks. None of my guns are safe queens. My concern was that of the gas tube showing a bit of its surface in the way of the gas exiting the port on the barrel and it causing undue stress on the gas tube and causing a short stroke from too much gas prematurely exiting the block before it reached the bcg.

I too was a 2111. Reserved to 2nd echelon till my eas though. If anything, I know more about foreign weapons from being in 29 palms, Camp Wilson, ATG. The only time I can recall having to dick with the gas system on an m4 is when someone was having trouble with cycling and the problem ended up being a clogged gas key from trying to use qtips instead of pipe cleaners to clean it.

Wow. I think I just partly answered my own question lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom