• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arbud

Jan 27, 2008
    Towson
    Hey guys real simple question.
    Can I buy a complete lower from someone ftf or does it have to go through an ffl. I can buy a complete hbar ar face to face so what is the answer. Thanks

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I think you can still do the transfer at the MSP barracks. I did one that way but it was before 2013 so it may have changed since then. You still have the seven day wait even if it can still go through the MSP.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    In reading the pdf, a true "stripped" receiver (just the frame) would need to be 77r/FFL, a "complete" lower (LPK, buffer tube/spring/buffer, buttstock, all assembled) "could" be ftf, as it could technically be considered a rifle at that point and not a handgun (SBR possibility notwithstanding). IANAL, and would not want to be a test case.

A certain out of state firearms distributor has posted that stripped lowers can't be shipped to MD, but complete rifle lowers can.

Just my .02

Q

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I didn't see where the MSP advisory dealt with "complete lowers" and their sales, but I don't have good reading comprehension(mostly look at the pictures).

My guess is it would have to go through an FFL as long as we are talking about a 5.56 capable lower. But I'm only guessing.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I disbelieving that those statements have been made , but they are at least partially incorrect .

A * Virgin * lower , ie has never been assembled into a complete firearm does not yet have an identity as a rifle or pistol , or ( some other thing that goes bang ) . Even if it hypothetically haa/ had a rifle attatched .

A complete lower could come from a mfg with a stock , but no bbl ever , purchaser could then remove stock, replace with pistol type buffer tube, and then legally build it aa a Pistol .

Now further suppose , one started with a rifle , stripped it down to bare reciever subsequently . Then the reciever would have rifle status, and could only be subsequently be reconstructed into another rifle ( unless otherwise involving relevant Stamps .

( This is why all discussions about Pistol builds emphasize using Virgin lowers with known provenance .)

Opps, meant Not disbelieving

Last edited:

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    I didn't see where the MSP advisory dealt with "complete lowers" and their sales, but I don't have good reading comprehension(mostly look at the pictures).

My guess is it would have to go through an FFL as long as we are talking about a 5.56 capable lower. But I'm only guessing.

Hence the I don't want to be the test case guy.

Q

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    by us or the the document? The document has a few holes in it.
    Both I guess(but not just you). Lol
    Everyone keeps saying "stripped " lowers when the OP is saying complete. What does he mean by complete? Is it a 'finished' 80% or a completely built out lower needing only an upper to be a finished rifle? If you buy a completely finished lower(only) from a LGS, don't you have to 77r and wait 7 days? I don't know the answer because I've never bought one.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    Yeah, it's the gray area that no one wants to tempt on record without the I Am Not A Lawyer (IANAL) moniker attached.

Q

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Both I guess(but not just you). Lol
    Everyone keeps saying "stripped " lowers when the OP is saying complete. What does he mean by complete? Is it a 'finished' 80% or a completely built out lower needing only an upper to be a finished rifle? If you buy a completely finished lower(only) from a LGS, don't you have to 77r and wait 7 days? I don't know the answer because I've never bought one.

When I bought a Lower that was complete less Upper Assy from 2A Sales we did the 77r and 7 day wait.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I was under the impression that once a butt stock was attached to an AR lower, it couldn't be made into a pistol anymore legally?
    If that is true than I would think that a complete AR lower would be cash and carry? Like a lot of Maryland's laws it's clear as mud to me.

One thing I have no idea about is an SBR, is it transferred with the 7 day wait etc? Or is it cash and carry, once you have the tax stamp?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I was under the impression that once a butt stock was attached to an AR lower, it couldn't be made into a pistol anymore legally?
    If that is true than I would think that a complete AR lower would be cash and carry? Like a lot of Maryland's laws it's clear as mud to me.

One thing I have no idea about is an SBR, is it transferred with the 7 day wait etc? Or is it cash and carry, once you have the tax stamp?
    Pistol tubes com in two general lengths. Carbine and rifle. Both must be mounted before a stock can be added. Both are acceptable as pistol tubes.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The stock on a lower with a bbl is not defining . It must become an actual rifle ( stock AND 16in plus bbl at same time) to gain status as Rifle Reciever .

Yes I have purchased complete lower w/ stock , 77R & 7 days .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom