• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    Woodbine, MD
    The long gun transportation restrictions on not being loaded are strictly for combating poaching. It’s pretty hard to prove someone is about to poach. But if they’ve got a loaded rifle in their lap sitting by some woods and the DNR officer can nab them on the transport statute. Also harsher penalties than what poaching carries.

Oh, but as pointed out, that law applies to more than just hunting.

Yeah, it is definitely hard to prove a crime that hasn't been commited, LOL.

Strictly for combatting poaching? Perhaps that's a good excuse for them to use, I mean hey- a lot of people seem to buy it. However-

Given the fact that no one is allowed to carry a loaded gun (long or short) *anywhere*- not just in a vehicle, I would suggest it's more about our rulers preferring the sheep to be unarmed and defenseless (which they have made more than clear)- than poaching being such an overwhelmingly pervasive crime.

JMAO ;)

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Given the fact that no one is allowed to carry a loaded gun (long or short) *anywhere*- not just in a vehicle, I would suggest it's more about our rulers preferring the sheep to be unarmed and defenseless (which they have made more than clear)- than poaching being such an overwhelmingly pervasive crime.

JMAO ;)

Fortunately our overlords left a "loophole" so we can be armed without actually being armed. I'd much rather have my 686 on my hip or sitting next to me but I'll take what I can get

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Yeah, it is definitely hard to prove a crime that hasn't been commited, LOL.

Strictly for combatting poaching? Perhaps that's a good excuse for them to use, I mean hey- a lot of people seem to buy it. However-

JMAO ;)

Your statement is incorrect. Besides the specifically prohibited areas in the statutes, and preexisting local laws on long gun carry, enacted prior to statute 4-209 on state preemption, it is perfectly legal to carry a loaded long gun for self defense in MD.

The AG says it's legal.

Attachments

• AG response to Long Gun Carry.pdf
      292.2 KB · Views: 72

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Cue up my usual pontificating about 5 different conversations taking place here, not one .

Primary places of Grandfathered local ordences are Baltimore City, Leonardtown . Fabs once told here about have had a client get tripped up by extra obscure MoCo ordnance. I don't recall the details well enough to explain here , hopefully he will chime in before I try to look up the old thread .

This section is in context of Conversation #1 , Actual Laws .

Contrary to Marc357 above , ( where not otherwise regulated by State Law, COMAR, or Grandfathered ordnance) no prohibition on loaded , when on foot. ( At least not in or on vehicle . I've been curious about horseback , but have not determined definitive answer .)

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Cue up my usual pontificating about 5 different conversations taking place here, not one .

Primary places of Grandfathered local ordences are Baltimore City, Leonardtown . Fabs once told here about have had a client get tripped up by extra obscure MoCo ordnance. I don't recall the details well enough to explain here , hopefully he will chime in before I try to look up the old thread .

This section is in context of Conversation #1 , Actual Laws .

Contrary to Marc357 above , ( where not otherwise regulated by State Law, COMAR, or Grandfathered ordnance) no prohibition on loaded , when on foot. ( At least not in or on vehicle . I've been curious about horseback , but have not determined definitive answer .)

So Rockville is okay ?

marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    Woodbine, MD
    Your statement is incorrect. Besides the specifically prohibited areas in the statutes, and preexisting local laws on long gun carry, enacted prior to statute 4-209 on state preemption, it is perfectly legal to carry a loaded long gun for self defense in MD.

The AG says it's legal.

I'm trying to imagine arguing to a Maryland cop that what I was doing was "perfectly legal" as I was shot, then arrested.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter

The AG says it's legal.

Reading this reminds me of a recent thread on “can you be kicked out of an apartment by your landlord if he refuses to allow weapons on his property”. Funny how the AG “clarification” states that innkeepers can refuse service to an armed customer. Has this ruling been changed? Just curious.

Attachments

• 06B535AD-FF41-4125-95B9-6EDF75A9C5DE.jpg
      06B535AD-FF41-4125-95B9-6EDF75A9C5DE.jpg
      79.5 KB · Views: 106

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    So, you can have all the shotguns you want on your bass boat or your dinner barge, but definitely not on a dredge boat. Because, dredge boats.

marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    Woodbine, MD
    You can imagine if you choose. You said carry of a loaded long gun in MD is illegal.

It’s not

So it is "technically" legal, but you and I both know it's not allowed, and if you try it you know how you will be dealt with.

So the fact that something is legal is kind of pointless if you'll be shot for doing it, isn't it?

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Do you have any evidence that someone has been or would be shot?

Conjecture

Simply stating your post about it being illegal is incorrect.

That’s my point, not what might happen if you do. And by you saying it’s tecnically legal makes my point.

Thank you

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So it is "technically" legal, but you and I both know it's not allowed, and if you try it you know how you will be dealt with.

So the fact that something is legal is kind of pointless if you'll be shot for doing it, isn't it?

You going to be drawing down on a cop if he approached you while carrying in order to be shot? GTFO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom