• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    I only reload rifle now. I'd like to start 9mm. Nothing fancy, just plinking through a Glock 17 and Beretta 92. I was thinking 115 gr plated round nose bullets from Everglades and CFE Pistol powder. But I'd like your advise, especially on powder options as far as quality and cost. I'll also take any other issues to watch for with 9mm reloading.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I like the Winchester 115 grain FMJ- Hollow Base bullets that come in the 100 round bag for accuracy with the max load of Win 231 but I did try some plated 115 grain Berry bullets at a lower load that were cheaper.

Balzer94

Feb 27, 2011
    Ive been into the 115 grain black bullets brain bullets. We were using berries before these. Win 231 has always been a good one that we have used. Currently using hodgdon titegroup. 4.7 grains of tite group on the black bullets is giving a very clean and consistent round. Works great in my beretta92fs, all of our 9mm glocks (17,19,34,43) and our sig mk25.

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    Hornady 115gr FMJ over 5.0 grains of HP-38 COL 1.125"(I need to double check the COL, but pretty sure of it).
    Hornady 115gr HAP over 4.7 grains of HP-38 COL 1.075"

These are MY loads and work perfectly fine and accurately in MY Glock 17 with no signs of over pressure. I am NOT suggesting that you try them in your handguns, I am only informing you of what works in MY gun.
    DISCLAIMER: I am NOT responsible for any damages or injuries to you or your equipment should you try to mimic my loads(terrible one has to put out a disclaimer these days).

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Xtreme is running 15% off plus free shipping. Don't load 115gr , but for 124gr wife's Glock 19 loves 4 grains of Titegroup

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Does anyone think that for plinking ammo, it's worth the time and money to reload? I've been buying 9mm ammo instead of reloading for probably close to 5 years now. At that time, I didn't think it was cost effective. Has things changed?

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Does anyone think that for plinking ammo, it's worth the time and money to reload? I've been buying 9mm ammo instead of reloading for probably close to 5 years now. At that time, I didn't think it was cost effective. Has things changed?

I find it cost effective, I can do 500 rounds of 9mm for less than 60 dollars (37 for bullets 12 dollars in primers and 7 dollars in powder)

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

Well, I can see how one could certainly make that argument, and with more validity now than even a few months ago. I'll discount the time factor and will almost certainly load mine anyway, but I'm definitely seeing 9mm steadily decreasing in price recently. .223 as well seems to be creeping downward in cost.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I only reload rifle now. I'd like to start 9mm. Nothing fancy, just plinking through a Glock 17 and Beretta 92. I was thinking 115 gr plated round nose bullets from Everglades and CFE Pistol powder. But I'd like your advise, especially on powder options as far as quality and cost. I'll also take any other issues to watch for with 9mm reloading.

Thank you.

Best to be very conscious of following seating depth specs with this round. It's a high pressure round to begin with as pistol cartridges go.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park

I don't think it's worth it unless you shoot a ton of 9mm. Bullets are about .12, primers are .04, powder is .02, reusing brass 0. Dicks has 9mm on sale for $10.98/box of 50. Use one of their $10 off $50 coupons and get five boxes for $44.00. That's less than .18/round. Factor in the cost of a set of dies and you have to load a lot of 9mm to make any sense. On the other hand, if you enjoy reloading and want to play around with different loads, that's a different story.

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall
    I load 9mm's as follows:
    124 Grain Berry's Flat Point Copper Plated Bullets
    4.2 Grains of Winchester W231 Powder
    Over All Length 1.090
    Taper Crimp...
    Crimp Dia at the very end of the brass = .378 / .379
    It's an excellent load...
    And I've shot them out of 1911, S&W semi-autos, Glocks, etc

I'll give you 50 rounds to try out if you ever get near Perry Hall..?

Last edited:

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Handloading a cartridge like 9mm isn't always about just saving a few pennies a round. When you handload you can tailor a load/bullet combo that your particular gun likes, and in my experience they're almost always more accurate than any factory loading, especially the really cheap (ie. inexpensive) stuff. I load both Berry's and Xtreme plated bullets of 115 and 124 grs. respectively, 4.5 grs. for the 115 gr. bullet and 4.0 grs. for the 124 gr. bullet of Alliant Bullseye powder both produce a very accurate target load that is economical, burns clean, and cycles my Glock and M&P handguns flawlessly. As has already been mentioned, work up any load carefully, watch for signs of high pressure, and pay close attention to seating depth.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    I was thinking 115 gr plated round nose bullets from Everglades and CFE Pistol powder.

I'm loading Everglades 115gr FMJRN with CFE Pistol. The powder meters well on my 550. Winchester small pistol primer. 1.100" COL. Disclaimer and all that jazz. Started with load data from Hornady 10th.

My 92FS will cycle the min (4.7gr). I'm liking 5.3gr at the moment.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa

I just like reloading ammo and not wasting brass. I think you will come out way ahead in the long run.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I don't think it's worth it unless you shoot a ton of 9mm. Bullets are about .12, primers are .04, powder is .02, reusing brass 0. Dicks has 9mm on sale for $10.98/box of 50. Use one of their $10 off $50 coupons and get five boxes for $44.00. That's less than .18/round. Factor in the cost of a set of dies and you have to load a lot of 9mm to make any sense. On the other hand, if you enjoy reloading and want to play around with different loads, that's a different story.

It depends on how much you shoot and where you're able to shoot at.

I try to shoot my firearms every nice day I can. I have access to a range for free and almost no one else uses it.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I just like reloading ammo and not wasting brass. I think you will come out way ahead in the long run.

I probably have over 12k prepped casings. All de-primed and polished, ready to go. I moved into my new house 4.5 years ago. I haven't reloaded 9mm since I moved into the new house. Maybe I'm just getting lazy.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'm also thinking of going exclusively to 147gr ammo too. I've got a ton of 115gr ammo, but since I've got a few 9mm rifles now, I find they shoot the 147gr better and more consistently.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    Thanks for all the information. I sincerely appreciate it. Like a lot of you, I reload because I enjoy it. Cost isn't really a factor until you jump up to 30 cal rifle, bigger handguns, or obscure ammo.

Try 147's. You might find you like the recoil impulse better than 115's.

Thanks, I'll try 147s.

Ian

Dontre member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Damascus-ish
    Reloading anything, means never going to the store to buy ammo. I keep supplies in bulk, and whenever the shelf starts to look thin, toss together another 500-1000 of whatever I need. Never having to read the "ammo availability thread" priceless.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    No one has weighed in from comp shooting. (Back before my tendonitis...), I loaded for Power Factor in IDPA.

147 gr. Berry's Plated RN
    3.8 gr. Winchester 231
    1.140 OAL (max OAL for 9mm 1.50. EDIT: max OAL is 1.169)
    Factory Crimp used.
    Appox. 935 fps and a Power Factor of 137. Shoots nice, minimal recoil and keeps me above the power factor for my division that is 125. Gives me leeway for using this round over several handguns with different barrel lengths.

For you old timers here on mdshooters, I got the suggestion for this load here. I worked up to it, as required of all new loads and confirmed as, good for use in my guns. The formula came from a guy I haven't seen post in a long time...Fustecluck.

Remember his avatar:

Attachments

• th.jpg
      th.jpg
      11.2 KB · Views: 429

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit