• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    My dealer Quiet Riot hosted a silencer shoot last weekend and all the major manufactures Silencerco, Sig, Rugged, Dead Air, Innovative Arms, Liberty, Griffin, AAC. Since I'm a repeat customer, my dealer gave me a ton of extra tickets to try out manufacturer's ware.

Once I found out that Mike Pappas, former coowner of Silencerco and current cofounder of Dead Air Armament was there I knew this was a chance to pick the brains of one of the leading suppressor designers in the world. I got him to explain in detail how each part of their silencers work and why they chose that method over a competitors. I really like the Mask, it is small like the Sparrow but no FRP.

Interesting points we discussed.

1. I asked every manufacturer there how hot/ how many rounds I can shoot continuously on full auto before causing long term damage. The answers, even for cans of the same materials, vary widely. Silencerco and Dead Air basically said I'll damage the gun before I damage the suppressor.

Mike dared me to try and destroy a Sandman on a Shrike. He said I would damage the gun before the can and, "If you somehow did damage the core, what do I care? I'll just knock out the core, weld a new core in, and send it back to you.". He said they put 300 .308 rounds through a Sandman and the gun broke but the can was fine.

2. There is a balance between sealing the can and backpressure. Mike said they have made cans that are quieter but they have so much backpressure that you don't ever actually want to shoot with them. So it is a balancing act of sound suppression and back pressure. Also, increased back pressure means more port noise for the shooter so it might be more quiet at the muzzle, but it is louder to the shooter.

3. Another balance is with the size of the end cap. If the end cap is too small, it can impart asymmetrical forces on the round which can cause accuracy and stability issues.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Me too. I'm at the very beginning of that dance, though. Waiting on the Form 3...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom