Are Marylanders Permitted to Purchase an AR-15 Lower...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    ...to be used as a pistol or SBR?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    <wiping sweat from brow> Thanks, Wayne!

I thought that was the case since it's not an "assault rifle", but I wanted to get a second opinion.

I just bid on a Colt AR-15 lower to complete the XM177(-ish) I'm working on and, suddenly, wasn't sure if I was on solid legal ground since the part says "AR-15"?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    I know about the additional paperwork and kiddie time-out period <grrrrr>, but I wanted to be sure the lower wasn't verboten altogether since it's emblazoned with those four infamous characters (AR15:eek:).

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    So irksome and dishearting to think an imaginary line and a river can make such a huge difference in a citizen's exercise of his rights

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    So irksome and dishearting to think an imaginary line and a river can make such a huge difference in a citizen's exercise of his rights

Irksome and disheartening? It's bloody unconstitutional.....and I fear the slippery slide away from the Bill of Rights is just gettin' started in these Union States of Obamerica.

microstar22

Apr 24, 2016
    Irksome and disheartening? It's bloody unconstitutional.....and I fear the slippery slide away from the Bill of Rights is just gettin' started in these Union States of Obamerica.

not for much longer, but can we say its going to get better?

fred333

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 20, 2013
    Only about 1000 threads on this topic.

I had literally seconds to bid or pass and didn't have time to search. My apologies for any inconvenience I've caused.

Just because you bought or bid does NOT mean the seller will ship to MD.

Good point, but, fortunately, I won and the seller'll ship (to the Maryland FFL) as soon as payment's received (payment ETA Wednesday).

ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    I am getting around to finally doing something with my Pre-Oct 2013 stripped lower. Can I make that into a pistol? I am in the midst of searching as well. This is just the first thread that came up.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I am getting around to finally doing something with my Pre-Oct 2013 stripped lower. Can I make that into a pistol? I am in the midst of searching as well. This is just the first thread that came up.

You can make it into a pistol, SBR or any barrel profile rifle.

The SBR would have to follow the copycat and OAL restrictions.

Last edited:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Why would you want to make a pre-Oct 2013 lower into a pistol? You can buy a new lower for that. The pre-Oct 2013 lower can be used to build a rifle that is currently banned, unless MSP has changed its position on that now.

Also, I am not sure that once you make it a pistol you can ever make it into a rifle again. Either that, or once you make it into a rifle you can no longer make it into a pistol. Pinecone is the one that informed me of this, so he can clear up which of the two it is. Pretty sure others can too. Mopar92, Chad, and others. Just have no desire to build an AR pistol so I flushed this info from my brain. Just know the issue is out there.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Also, I am not sure that once you make it a pistol you can ever make it into a rifle again. Either that, or once you make it into a rifle you can no longer make it into a pistol.

If you start with a "firearm" (i.e. a receiver in this case) which is has never been either a pistol or a rifle, it works like this:

If it is built into a pistol FIRST and has NEVER been built into a rifle, you can go from pistol -> rifle -> pistol -> rifle as much as you want.

If it is built into a rifle FIRST then it is a rifle forever and can not ever be made into a pistol.

Thus, if you are starting with a stripped receiver which has never been a rifle, it behooves you to build it into a pistol first, just to give yourself the legal flexibility to later build a rifle out of it and then a pistol again should you want to. If you build it into a rifle first, you are losing some of your flexibility.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    If you start with a "firearm" (i.e. a receiver in this case) which is has never been either a pistol or a rifle, it works like this:

If it is built into a pistol FIRST and has NEVER been built into a rifle, you can go from pistol -> rifle -> pistol -> rifle as much as you want.

If it is built into a rifle FIRST then it is a rifle forever and can not ever be made into a pistol.

Thus, if you are starting with a stripped receiver which has never been a rifle, it behooves you to build it into a pistol first, just to give yourself the legal flexibility to later build a rifle out of it and then a pistol again should you want to. If you build it into a rifle first, you are losing some of your flexibility.

Thank you. Next question I have is how would the authorities know whether it was first built as a pistol or not? Would that be based upon how the NICS check was run?

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    Thank you. Next question I have is how would the authorities know whether it was first built as a pistol or not?

So have you seen or read "Minority Report?"

;)

Would that be based upon how the NICS check was run?

NICS checks do not contain any information about the firearm. Only about the presumptive buyer.

The 4473 will show either "handgun" "long gun" or "other," which may be of some help there - if it was filled out correctly, anything that was a "rifle" may not be made into a pistol afterword. However, as to if you made your "other" receiver into a pistol or a long gun first is between you and god.

And probably the NSA. ;)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thank you. Next question I have is how would the authorities know whether it was first built as a pistol or not? Would that be based upon how the NICS check was run?

They don't.

But some people photograph the pistol and then archive the photo in some way (mail print to self, etc).

I can just truthfully say mine started as pistols.

And I do have one pistol buffer, that has been installed a few times. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom