M1A - Before SB281 what were they classfied as?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Have to check when ours was purchased.

I know it was included in the 1994 Fed ban. Not sure when MD added it to the list.

I found references to the original legislation for long guns that required the same Form 77 process has handguns and included 8 listed by name, and their copies. This was in 1989.

The list was revised in 1994:

In 1994, the Legislature revised the list of specific firearms set forth in the definition of “assault weapon.” Chapter 456, Laws of Maryland 1994. As part of that revision, the legislation removed from the list certain assault pistols that were otherwise being banned under other provisions of that legislation; the bill also added to the list other assault weapons “that have come into existence since the creation of the list.”

So it looks like it may have been added in 1994, in response to the Federal list.

In 1996, the term "regulated firearm" was introduced, with the same list.

The definition of “assault weapon,” newly codified in Article 27, §441(d), contained
    the same list of specific weapons as the prior version..

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Well, with ALL the murderous rampages that have been committed with this rifle, I understand why it would be banned. Must be.......................hundreds of them. So many, they do not even report them in the news!!! :-)

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay
    They are not C & R. First one is from 1972, (give or take a year)

Regulated before. Banned now

Just checked,1974

Interesting. So the civilian version of the M14 wasn't available before 1974?
    When did the M14 become standard issue for the Military (to replace the M1). When I trained in the 60s, we were issued the M14.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    When did the M14 become standard issue for the Military (to replace the M1). When I trained in the 60s, we were issued the M14.

It was standard issue for about 6 years before being replaced by the M16. I think they started issuing it in '58 or '59.

TheDevilHimself

, Duffy's Gun Room
    Industry Partner
    Jul 15, 2011
    Sparks, MD

There were semi M14 rifles made prior to 74, but they used standard M14 receivers. Sometimes, the receivers were welded around the selector switch, some just had semi only internal parts. This practice was declared verboten after the GCA OF 1968, as any rifle built using a machine gun receiver was deemed to be readily restorable.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The M14 was officially adopted in 1957, but the Garand remained primary issue for years afterward.

In October of 1962, during the Cuban Missile Crisis, the 82nd Airborne was still armed with Garands when they boarded the planes to jump into Cuba.

Fortunately, "the other guy blinked" and the invasion was called off.

Feb 28, 2013
    My father was in the 3rd Infantry from '57 to '59. He never handled any M-14's. His rifle was a Garand.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Sources I have seen say the M-14 was officially adopted in 1959. Supposedly replaced the Garands by 1961 (see above post).

And was in service until 1970.

Tooling was sold to Taiwan in 1969.

whitelightning777

May 20, 2013
    If you want a 308, get an AR-10 and be happy. Pricing for it and accuracy is on par with the M1a1.

It's just like how AK rifles are banned but VZ-58 or VZ-2008s are not. The inmates have taken over the asylum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom