• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    I have my father in-laws 1892 Winchester that is a lever gun chambered in 25-20. Its been kept in good shape and has been shot with factory ammo over the years but its very pricey. So I'm looking to load for it.

So far it seems the best plan of attack is to reform star line 32-20 brass and start with some cast 86 grain projectiles from midway until I'm set up for casting.

Any input, ideas, things to look for?

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I think you're on the right track. I'd start with new 32-20 brass, unless you're set up for annealing. I very rarely see used 25-20 brass for sale, and that's only on the SASS Wire.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    im not annealing at all. I found a link on a smith and Wesson forum to form the brass. Then after that it should be just like normal stuff, dial a load up and see what it likes. I think it will be really neat to get the rifle back in action for small stuff but for factory stuff at over a buck a shot its not worth it.

yellowfin

Pro 2A Gastronome
    Jul 30, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    My dad still has a pump action Remington in it that he acquired as a kid 60 years ago. I need to start loading for it for the same reason. Maybe some H110 in it like a .22 Hornet would?

Idaho

Dec 10, 2015
    Towson, MD
    25-20 from 32-20

I have made some 25-20 this way using RCBS Cowboy dies and lubricating cases with Hornady Oneshot. About 9-10 gentle pumps on press handle to work case fully into 25-20 sizing die making sure case mouth is round before you begin. I haven't had to abort any so far. Will come out about two hundredths short of trim to length for 25-20 in my experience. Seat bullets to proper length and shoot single shot because you probably won't seat as far as crimp groove until you fire these a couple of times. I am using Meisters 85 grain cast bullets. IMR 4227 powder.

I am shooting a Marlin 1894 CL

Have you slugged barrel in that '92?

Idaho

Dec 10, 2015
    Towson, MD
    Amendment to prior post

After making above post I got to thinking I should make about 50 25-20 out of the 32-20. The first 5 were perfect. I took out sizer and put in flaring die to make sure necks didn't split.

Then returned to sizer and mashed about 5 in a row. Uh oh. Then realized I had let decap pin extend too far. Retracted some and stopped the crushing. Thereafter I did have 3-4 with crease in shoulder and couple with split beginning in neck. So I ain't so good at this as I thought. However I think most people report 10-15% failure so I am not going to jump off the bridge.

This is new Starline brass so it's all me! It is still cheaper than buying ammo for this caliber at $70.00 a box.

shocker998md

Ultimate Member
    May 29, 2009
    Snow Hill MD
    I have not slugged the barrel.

im hoping to start messing with it sometime next winter. Just looking at getting info now and it seems my best bet is to buy the starline brass and re size it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom