• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    I have a AR !0 build that I need some advise with.
    I will be using a 24" rifle barrel chambered in a .308 Winchester.
    I was wondering what would be a good length on the Handrail?
    This is a long range target rifle build and Will not be used for hunting,etc.

thanks

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I generally like to use the longest Mlok available that allows clearance for my muzzle device and/or suppressor. Not really an issue with a 24" barrel, being the longest commonly available are around 16". The longer rails give more real-estate to mount stuff and can put a bipod further out front, provided it's a decent brand with a solid mount to limit flexing, you can pick whatever you want. Unless you want to stick to the same brand as your receivers, the Aero ATLAS, SLR, , MI and Fortis all have excellent rails 15-17" long. I would look closely at the Fortis Switch, they are solid, very well built and have a single lever to loosen them to take the handguard off in about 5 seconds to access the gas block, really cool system.

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    I generally like to use the longest Mlok available that allows clearance for my muzzle device and/or suppressor. Not really an issue with a 24" barrel, being the longest commonly available are around 16". The longer rails give more real-estate to mount stuff and can put a bipod further out front, provided it's a decent brand with a solid mount to limit flexing, you can pick whatever you want. Unless you want to stick to the same brand as your receivers, the Aero ATLAS, SLR, , MI and Fortis all have excellent rails 15-17" long. I would look closely at the Fortis Switch, they are solid, very well built and have a single lever to loosen them to take the handguard off in about 5 seconds to access the gas block, really cool system.

The Receiver and upper is From Aero Precision, BSF barrel .
    I will look into the Fortis Switch. Thanks.

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    I would go for a rail that matches the full length of the barrel but that’s just me.

Attachments

• 54DD7FF9-90C9-4528-9E74-D4299DA4E4B2.jpeg
      54DD7FF9-90C9-4528-9E74-D4299DA4E4B2.jpeg
      16.3 KB · Views: 188

Mr.Culper

Jan 16, 2021
    I was looking at and watching videos on different 308 (7.62x51) builds.
    I was watching a video review of MIA SOCOM (16" barrel) and the reviewer stated he crono'd the 16" and standard M1A (22" ?)and there was only a 50fps difference.
    What gain will the 24" give over a 18"

I have a AR !0 build that I need some advise with.
    I will be using a 24" rifle barrel chambered in a .308 Winchester.
    I was wondering what would be a good length on the Handrail?
    This is a long range target rifle build and Will not be used for hunting,etc.

thanks

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    I was watching a video review of MIA SOCOM (16" barrel) and the reviewer stated he crono'd the 16" and standard M1A (22" ?)and there was only a 50fps difference.

I hope to give you an answer in a few weeks.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Typically around 25FPS per inch, but some loads are a bit better or worse. There is also some degree of loss from semi autos using gas to cycle. Will probably loose less than 100fps going from a 24 to an 18, still supersonic past 1K yards, decent tradeoff if you want a more.compact barrel. Lost less than 100FPS when I cut and threaded my Savage 10FP from 24" to 20. IIRC my 16" AR10 clocks about 2500 with my 168gr handloads, the 20" bolt and 22" M1A are about 2600, was just over 2650 from the bolt action back with the 24" barrel. 150fps with the loss from semi auto function and 1/3 less barrel isn't bad at all.

Is the barrel chambered for 308 or 7.62X51? From what I understand shooting 308 in a 762X51 isn't a good idea because of higher pressure in the 308. 62000 PSI for 308, 50,000 PSI for 7.62x51.

Nope, 50K CUP(original 7.62 NATO pressure) is around 60K PSI, not a huge difference in peak pressure, port pressure was the main issue. The burn rate more so than the pressure is an issue with M14 and some older semi-auto actions, but modern AR10(Armalite standard) or AR308(DPMS standard) hold up just fine to commercial 308. An adjustable gas block is practically a requirement anyway, and can ensure good function with the wide range of burn rates in 308 and 7.62 loads.

Last edited:

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    Typically around 25FPS per inch, but some loads are a bit better or worse. There is also some degree of loss from semi autos using gas to cycle. Will probably loose less than 100fps going from a 24 to an 18, still supersonic past 1K yards, decent tradeoff if you want a more.compact barrel

Nope, 50K CUP(original 7.62 NATO pressure) is around 60K PSI, not a huge difference in peak pressure, port pressure was the main issue. The burn rate more so than the pressure is an issue with M14 and some older semi-auto actions, but modern AR10(Armalite standard) or AR308(DPMS standard) hold up just fine to commercial 308. An adjustable gas block is practically a requirement anyway, and can ensure good function with the wide range of burn rates in 308 and 7.62 loads.

Great information. Thank you.:party29:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom