• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Baldheaded

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2021
    A.A. Co.
    What do you guys have? Separate gun insurance or does your homeowners insurance cover your guns? I would think most would have one or the other. Maybe both?

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    You get some from the NRA but I think you have to activate it, don't think it is automatically turned on.

I went with CIA as my homeowners wanted a lot of info that I wasn't into giving them. Depends on what you have and your insurance company.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I use CIA also (https://collectinsure.com), in fact, I just paid my premium today...and really should be doing some updating. I've never had to make a claim, thank goodness. They used to require a list (no serial#'s, just what they were covering), but apparently that is no longer the case.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Last time I talked to my home owners, everything in the home is covered.

I only need additional coverage if I want to cover something like a watch that I would be wearing outside the home.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I use CIA also (https://collectinsure.com), in fact, I just paid my premium today...and really should be doing some updating. I've never had to make a claim, thank goodness. They used to require a list (no serial#'s, just what they were covering), but apparently that is no longer the case.

Collectibles Insurance is good. Cheaper than NRA and you homeowners .

rifelman

Aug 7, 2008
    Calvert County

I only need additional coverage if I want to cover something like a watch that I would be wearing outside the home.

I have State Farm and there is a limit on Firearms, 2500 I believe is basic with up to 5K as a rider, but that's' it for them, if my memory serves me .

magnumpi

Jan 16, 2013
    Westminster MD

Might want to read the fine print. Most policies do cover firearms but have limits. Mine has a $2500 limit. You have to buy a rider for coverage over that amount.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Might want to read the fine print. Most policies do cover firearms but have limits. Mine has a $2500 limit. You have to buy a rider for coverage over that amount.

I agree, I would specifically ask your agent if that is the case. If you had a Picasso painting worth $10 million I'm not sure it would simply be covered if it was in the home. There is a limit to everything and $5k or less seems to be what home owners cover when I looked.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Erie insurance subscriber here. Homeowner's with them only covers up to $2500 for firearms without a rider. Given my C&R collection and other things, I opted to get a $20k rider that sets me back a whopping $225/year I figure the fact that it would take 88 years for me to break even at that price is a winning bet for me.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

I specifically asked.

Covered up to the contents limits coverage if in the house.

This is with USAA.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I agree, I would specifically ask your agent if that is the case. If you had a Picasso painting worth $10 million I'm not sure it would simply be covered if it was in the home. There is a limit to everything and $5k or less seems to be what home owners cover when I looked.

In my case, the limit is the limit of MY coverage for contents.

For USAA, that is a percentage of the insured value of the house.

So if you insure you house for $300,000, you can cover the contents for $400,000, or $300,000 or some lower increments. And the coverage only comes in certain steps.

So if you have $300,000 of content coverage, they will cover up to $300,000 of whatever is in the house at the time of the loss.

So yes, if I had a $10 million Picasso in the house, it would not be covered to the full value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom