• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Thank you all for all the advice. I've noticed from the ones that I've looked at in person that the gun count is WAY off. How much did you guys weigh the quoted fire rating time ? I figured if there's a fire I'm F'd anyway. One more question is what is a reasonable cost to have it moved from dropped off out front to a basement location, up a couple stairs into the house then down about 8 stairs to the basement ?

If you're worried about fire, or have serious valuables to lock up, take a look ar Sturdy Safes.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Thank you all for all the advice. I've noticed from the ones that I've looked at in person that the gun count is WAY off. How much did you guys weigh the quoted fire rating time ? I figured if there's a fire I'm F'd anyway. One more question is what is a reasonable cost to have it moved from dropped off out front to a basement location, up a couple stairs into the house then down about 8 stairs to the basement ?

The gun counts for safes are bullsh*t. Only exception would be if none of your long guns have scopes. I would strongly recommend getting some rifle rods, they help immensely with storage. I have many scopes rifles and now they all fit neatly in the safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sickpuppyz

your mom sends me care packages
    Jun 14, 2020
    MoCo
    The dilemma comes with moving it. American safes over 12 guns make moving costly. A Winchester 12 gun weighs 200 lbs and you can pick and move yourself if you have 6-7 steps. A 24-30 gun safe will weigh double and moving costs are more $$ than the price of the safe. If you don't need to access all guns at the same time maybe buy 2 smaller safes than 1 biggie. Of course, a 200 lb. safe could be stolen if the thieves come with a truck and have enough time undetected. Also, manufacturers refer to # of guns by including handguns in their count. So a 24 gun safe will not acclimate more than 8-12 AR /AK style "large" guns.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    The dilemma comes with moving it. American safes over 12 guns make moving costly. A Winchester 12 gun weighs 200 lbs and you can pick and move yourself if you have 6-7 steps. A 24-30 gun safe will weigh double and moving costs are more $$ than the price of the safe. If you don't need to access all guns at the same time maybe buy 2 smaller safes than 1 biggie. Of course, a 200 lb. safe could be stolen if the thieves come with a truck and have enough time undetected. Also, manufacturers refer to # of guns by including handguns in their count. So a 24 gun safe will not acclimate more than 8-12 AR /AK style "large" guns.

If you plan to move a lot then consider a Zanotti Armor or Snap Safe Modular Safes. Both Made in USA and easy to assemble in most closets.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    If you're worried about fire, or have serious valuables to lock up, take a look ar Sturdy Safes.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/

Bad advice if you have serious valuables. If you have a serious worry about fire and/or a significant $ value of whatever you are trying to protect look for an actual UL listed TL-15 or better composite safe. First step would be to call your insurance company (you do have insurance right?) and see what they require in a container in order to get a discount. You will see more affordable UL plate safes during your search, these have zero fire rating. If you are just worried about fire then look for a UL listed data container. I would look at used first then go from there. A good interior option, as most real safes only come with adjustable shelves, is the cradle system from SecureIt. Several gun safe manufacturers make TL-15 and up gun specific safes now but they tend to be quite pricey.

Note: I purchased and used a Sturdy safe daily for years but had to leave it behind when I moved a few years ago. They are great heavier duty RSCs but thats all they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom