• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    I'm hoping to get some thoughts for those more knowledgeable than I. I grabbed my Dad's old Sears Model 200 shotgun during the last trip home and hoping to restore it. I know it doesn't have much value other than sentimental. The barrel on it was pretty rusted up. I cleaned most of it off, but noticed pitting along the exterior. Some pics below (if I did it correctly). I'm concerned with the spot along the barrel exit. Is the pitting bad enough that it has compromised the barrel?

On another note, sometime along the years, this gun lost its bolt assembly and ejector so I need to find those.

Attachments

• IMG_2530.jpg
      IMG_2530.jpg
      65.8 KB · Views: 315
    • IMG_2533.jpg
      IMG_2533.jpg
      93 KB · Views: 311

Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Thanks. I'll check out Numrich. I'm hoping the barrel is good, but just needs some TLC.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    On another note, sometime along the years, this gun lost its bolt assembly and ejector so I need to find those.

So the gun is getting the blame for losing it's parts?! Careful with statements like this. The anti-2A nutjobs have been blaming them for years and seem to think that they can act by themselves.

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Those photos resemble an old 16ga SxS the wife’s uncle left under his bed for two years, while he toured with the USAF and US / World Judo Teams.

Which he left inside a zippered case.

In Hammond, LA .... for two years! :shocked4:

I used bronze wool (as opposed to steel wool) soaked in motor oil - for days - on the outside of the barrels. For days!

Surprisingly, the interior bores were / remain pristine. Go figger ...

Then turned my attention to the receiver internals and wood furniture which got the oven cleaner - stain - repeated coats of rubbed tung oil.

It hangs on a Rush Creek 5-gun wall-mount gun rack down in the basement today, ready when the errant Agkistrodon contortrix happens by ...

We call it, “CopperDEAD” :lol2:

Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    So the gun is getting the blame for losing it's parts?! Careful with statements like this. The anti-2A nutjobs have been blaming them for years and seem to think that they can act by themselves.

True. When I asked both my brothers and dad about it, they blamed it on each other. We shall never know. ha

Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Those photos resemble an old 16ga SxS the wife’s uncle left under his bed for two years, while he toured with the USAF and US / World Judo Teams.

Which he left inside a zippered case.

In Hammond, LA .... for two years! :shocked4:

I used bronze wool (as opposed to steel wool) soaked in motor oil - for days - on the outside of the barrels. For days!

Surprisingly, the interior bores were / remain pristine. Go figger ...

Then turned my attention to the receiver internals and wood furniture which got the oven cleaner - stain - repeated coats of rubbed tung oil.

It hangs on a Rush Creek 5-gun wall-mount gun rack down in the basement today, ready when the errant Agkistrodon contortrix happens by ...

We call it, “CopperDEAD” :lol2:

Did you get all the pitting out or was it just rusted? Did you re-blue the barrel?

Draco20

Apr 20, 2013
    MoCo
    Got all the missing parts in finally after one sat in USPS purgatory for awhile. Stock and forend are sanded down and ready for finishing. Most surprisingly of all, the rust pitting on the barrel is cleaning up well. I probably won't get it all out, but it looks a thousand times better than when I first brought it home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom