• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Michigander08

ridiculous and psychotic
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2017
    I don't like rimfire in AR format/furniture.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I wouldn't consider that the 'breaking point' between purist/non-purist.

hosspower

Dec 1, 2019
    Walkersville, MD
    It is a lot cheaper to train family with a 22lr upper on a standard lower to build their skills. Well it's cheaper now, give it a couple more weeks and 22lr might cost the same as 556.

Qbeam

Ultimate Member
    Apr 16, 2008
    Georgia
    A purist would be a 22LR in either semi-auto (5 or 10 round magazine), or bolt action (5 round magazine max), wood and blued steel. No synthetic anything.

Q

Jed195

Ultimate Member
    Oct 19, 2011
    MD.
    While on a deployment we were on Portsmouth shipyard. They had an indoor range for the base security that we trained on a lot. 9mm and 12 gauge were ok but nothing like 556 or 7.62 nato so we got the 22 rimfire bcg replacements and they were "fun" for shits and giggles. Got our A2s dirty as frack though. I liked the AR22 AK22s from back in the day but they aren't much different than the mossberg 715s dressed as ARs these days.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    I didn't have an opinion but I shot duckncover's dedicated .22 AR and it was a blast. Definitely felt like a "real" AR and I can see the easy/cheap way to train with one. I don't get that feel from my bolt .22's. Now I have to get a .22 upper.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    It basically boils down to do you want a .22lr rifle on purpose , or do you want an AR/ AR- ish analog on purpose , that happens to use .22lr ammo ?

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    More than any other, this is the AR people shoot, then fight with each other to shoot again. Was a relatively cheap buiild, P80 lower and a lot of "spare" parts I swapped out of other rifles, a 4.5" dedicated barrel and it's a great host for suppressors. My 5yo kid can handle it with minimal help, My 73 year old father loves shooting it, and even the most advanced shooters will giggle plinking steel with it. Nothing really beats the AR platform for adjustability, and controls being in the right place for most any shooter, regardless of caliber.
    20201104_141110.jpg

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    More than any other, this is the AR people shoot, then fight with each other to shoot again. Was a relatively cheap buiild, P80 lower and a lot of "spare" parts I swapped out of other rifles, a 4.5" dedicated barrel and it's a great host for suppressors. My 5yo kid can handle it with minimal help, My 73 year old father loves shooting it, and even the most advanced shooters will giggle plinking steel with it. Nothing really beats the AR platform for adjustability, and controls being in the right place for most any shooter, regardless of caliber.
    View attachment 305708
    Dammit! I gotta build me one of those little toys! I already have the can.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Dammit! I gotta build me one of those little toys! I already have the can.

CMMG pattern AR22 uppers are fully compatible with rifle cal lowers, it can swap to MGs, SBRs, binary triggers etc. A little cleaning up the barrel/ramp gets it to feed flawlessly. From this angle the 3.5" of DA mask poking out looks huge, but the barrel is tiny, muzzle is about 1" recessed in the 4" handguard, most ammo is subsonic out of it.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    1" Tall Target @ 1000 Inches simulates shooting a 3' Tall Target @ 1000 yrds.

It was developed by the Marines and adopted by the Army for marksmanship training)

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    I don't like jelly on my peanut butter, meat from any organ that filters toxins from the animal's body or anything in my bourbon
    That's more of a purist than .22 on an AR platform I think

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom