• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    only if it has a flash hider (or non-existent grenade launcher)

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There is vast confusion about the new law, but the gun would require TWO Evil Features to be banned, and the folder only counts as one. The other Evil Features are a grenade launcher and a flash hider. You may have any one of those options.

Read and memorize these two threads:

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=109281

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=114585

There will be a test on Wednesday that counts for 50% of your final grade.

Q: What are the evil features for semi-auto centerfire rifles that take detachable mags?
    A: The list is:
    1. Folding stock
    2. Grenade or flare launcher
    3. Flash hider

THE ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAG IS NOT COUNTED AS AN EVIL FEATURE.

(from the first link)

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    To make it more confusing, you can buy any non-semi-auto centerfire or semi-auto rimfire with all of those features.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There was a grenade launcher for the Carbine.

The configuration shown here is Maryland legal (buy magazines out of state).

grndrifl.jpg

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Not permanent. Neither is the flash hider. Both held on by a wing nut (aka, a "Bloomberg" or "Frosh" or "Gormby").

I think it would still create a temporarily banned "copycat" if it was temporarily installed along with a second evil feature, though.

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    What I mean is, is it an integral part of the rifle or does it just slip on? If it just slips on (and certainly if it prevents using the rifle as a rifle), then it's just a separate accessory, not part of the rifle, and not subject to the feature test.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Slip it on, tighten the wing nut, launch your grenade, switch back to Ball ammo and fire a few rounds, then slip it back off again. I think it's subject to the feature test, but so what? It's legal with a fixed stock, and who cares about a grenade launcher on a Carbine?

Could a collector run afoul of the law by merely possessing the various accessories? I don't think Maryland would push a "constructive possession" charge, but who knows? I suppose we could ask our new Att'y Gen'l for an oppinion...

Boom Boom

Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You cannot run afoul if it's not an integral feature of the rifle. In this case, it's not integral at all and prevents normal use of the rifle. MD law has no means to pursue constructive possession. In the broad sense, consider a "generic" grenade launcher that, in theory, could attach to any rifle barrel. Using the logic you describe, wouldn't such a grenade launcher technically become a qualifying feature for every rifle you own? I say that in jest. Obviously not. But boil that concept down to the M1 Carbine example and there's no difference, since the grenade launcher is not integral to the rifle.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Some people may be confused about the folder due to the Ruger Mini 14. Which is a similar size and look.

In MD, the Mini 14 with folding stock is banned. The version with the non-folding stock is not banned.

But the M1 Carbine is not on the list in any way. So it only has to meet the evil features test.

And you can HAVE the flash supressor, just not install it in MD. If you take the rifle to another state, you can install the flash supresor.

But thinking about it, the M1 Carbine device is a flash HIDER, not flash SUPPRESSOR. All it does is keep the flash from blinding the shooter at night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom