• kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    Just wondering?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Are you talking about putting a barrel less than 16" on an M1 Carbine? Yes, you could destroy both the history and the resale value of a historic relic, if you get the tax stamp, but why would you?

If you want an effective CQB weapon, an SBR'd M1 Carbine would be a third-rate choice. You'd be flushing $1000 or so down the toilet, and end up with a third-rate weapon and a horribly Bubba'd relic. Why not SBR an AR15, or get a P90?

But I wonder if you really intend to shorten the barrel, or if you plan to leave the barrel at 18" and just put a folding stock on it? You can easily do that, it's 100% legal, and you won't degrade the resale/collector value, because you can switch back to the original stock at any time.

You can legally put a folding stock on a Carbine in Maryland as long as you don't also install a flash hider or grenade launcher. The stock is only one Evil Feature, and it takes two to be ban-worthy.

IF you start with a good, solid, reliable Carbine (many are worn out beaters, a poor choice for serious self-defense), just put it in a folding stock, add an Ultimak and a red dot sight, and you've got yourself a very compact second-rate defensive weapon.

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    I just want to have essentially a paratrooper. I'm not going to cut the barrel or any other alterations(other than an ultimak, maybe). I just would want the folding paratrooper style stock on it. If I could just buy it that way in Md. I would. So, I'm guessing that I would have to buy an m1 with the regular stock on it, do a form 1, then just install the folding stock when approved. Would I need to remove the flash hider and or bayo lug? I really wouldn't want to do either if I didn't have to.

Boonie Hat

Jan 2, 2013
    Baltimore County, MD, USA
    OP, have you handled a carbine? It's already rather compact and very easy to maneuver. To shorten it even more is ridiculous, but I suppose that's the history buff in me. Your rifle, do whatever you want. Just don't expect praise when you're asking a C&R forum

EDIT: I see you're not going to cut it. Carry on then

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    I just want to have essentially a paratrooper. I'm not going to cut the barrel or any other alterations(other than an ultimak, maybe). I just would want the folding paratrooper style stock on it. If I could just buy it that way in Md. I would. So, I'm guessing that I would have to buy an m1 with the regular stock on it, do a form 1, then just install the folding stock when approved. Would I need to remove the flash hider and or bayo lug? I really wouldn't want to do either if I didn't have to.

I thought so.

What you are describing is not an SBR, and does not require a Form 1 or any Federal tax stamp.

As long as it does not have a flash hider, it is 100% Maryland Cash-and-Carry legal.

(The M1 Carbine flash hider is rarely seen, and not an integral part. It's just a silly little funnel-shaped thing that's held on by a wing nut.) You would not want one anyway.

There are reproduction M1A1 Paratrooper stocks out there, very easy to switch back and forth with the fixed stock. Not the most solid stock, but not too bad, and it makes for a VERY compact weapon.

You can also go the Israeli route: they put Choate folding stocks on M1 Carbines and issued them to kibbutz guards, school teachers and such for security. Much better than a sharp stick. I have a Choate folder for a Ruger 10/22, which is identical to the Carbine version. It is very solid, but pretty much doubles the thickness of the weapon. The lock-up is tight, but that makes it perhaps a little slower to deploy than the USGI Paratrooper stock would be.

Numrich has what they claim are "US Military manufacture" folders for only $20 more than Sarco's repop. I find it hard to believe, but here they are: http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/983120.htm

I think for actual use, the repro might be a better choice: tighter, fresh leather, and no collector value to degrade. But if Numrich's really are USGI, they might be a good investment if you don't f*** them up by actually using them much.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Flash hider is the key. Bayonet lug is irrelevant. You can have the flash hider or folding stock but not both.

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    Ok, This sounds great! I have a line on a para trooper repro, so this would be cash and carry?? I thought that this would require a 77r?

kc day

MDS Supporter
    Sep 29, 2008
    M1 Carbine was never a Maryland Regulated long gun. Always Cash and Carry on a Form 4473, and it still is. The 77r is only for handguns since 10/1/13.

It was my understanding( from several gun dealers) that the folder since 10/13 was treated differently

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom