• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    In November Henry announced they would release their Single Shot Rifle in .350 Legend, and I ended up getting one. I had a deposit and an order in for the same model in .45-70 from a LGS, but when the .350 was announced I cancelled on the .45-70 (I would probably still be waiting...) and managed to find one of the .350s at an online retailer. I got a factory refurbed 3-9x40 Leupold and got it set up and sighted in just in time for the two-day firearms season in early January.

I sighted in with Winchester Deer Season XP 180 gr rounds. I ended up getting a 40 yard shot on an old janky buck during the evening hunt of my first day hunting with my new rifle. I'm really impressed with the round. The recoil is very mild and the stopping power was impressive. The deer was about 200lbs and dropped dead after running 15 yards. Upon field dressing I found I hit him just below the aortic arch, and that round did a lot of damage. I'm looking forward to taking some longer shots (200yds is about the max I'll go for) next year.

How many of you deer hunted with a .350 legend rifle this past season? What rifle and ammo did you use and how were the results?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Thanks for sharing. Coincidentally, I just ordered dies to reload the round earlier today (after putting in my cart last night and deciding to sleep on it). Don't even have a rifle yet, although am looking at the Ruger bolts in 350 Legend (PSA has one in stock today, but I'm in no hurry and will wait for a lower price). I've been reading similar reports to yours - very effective within 250 yards and soft shooting.

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    I picked up a Savage 110 in 350, managed to get it before the 2 week firearm season. I also used the Deer season XP, I believe they are 150 grain. Only took one deer with it, approximately a 60 yard shot, dropped in its tracks. The round didn’t exit, it was protruding under the skin on the opposite side. When I sighted it in, the grouping was very good at 100 yards. Impressed with it so far.
    EC041834-FE06-4A6F-9483-9B854E594C70.jpg

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    I picked up a Savage 110 in 350, managed to get it before the 2 week firearm season. I also used the Deer season XP, I believe they are 150 grain. Only took one deer with it, approximately a 60 yard shot, dropped in its tracks. The round didn’t exit, it was protruding under the skin on the opposite side. When I sighted it in, the grouping was very good at 100 yards. Impressed with it so far.
    View attachment 307904

Nice deer! Interesting that the bullet didn't exit. Where did the shot hit?

PlumberEd

MDS Supporter
    Aug 1, 2020
    Taneytown
    I have the brass, bullets, etc. just waiting for the AR in 350 Legend to arrive... sometime in May. Has anyone reloaded for this round?

ChrisD

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 19, 2013
    Conowingo
    Nice deer! Interesting that the bullet didn't exit. Where did the shot hit?

Thanks!
    The shot was left side with a slight quartering towards my stand. The bullet clipped the back side of the left scapula on entrance, and perhaps a rib on the right side. I didn’t remove the bullet before dropping it off at a local deer butcher. Thought about it, but got sidetracked and forgot.
    I read a few reviews on the XP that stated about what I experienced. Some of the reviews also said that the XP damages a lot of muscle. I typically cut up my own deer, but I was really busy in the fall, so I had them cut up elsewhere. Due to that, I didn’t actually see how much meat was bloodshot.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    I have the brass, bullets, etc. just waiting for the AR in 350 Legend to arrive... sometime in May. Has anyone reloaded for this round?

I started loading for it but wasn’t satisfied with the results. Best group was about 2” at 100. Deer season 150s shot better. Got just over MOA with a BCA upper. I am going to load some more this weekend and shoot next weekend.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013

Maybe you will have better luck. The CMMG upper I got has been a total POS and that seems to be the consensus so far with .350 AR's. Very finicky and inconsistent. OTOH my coworker got a ruger american ranch in .350 and the couple times we have shot it... The bolt is a little crude but it is a tack driver using the 145 grain FMJ from winchester. We alternated between the FMJ and 180 grain soft points and @ 100 yards it was close enough to stop messing with the scope and call it good.

guzma393

Jan 15, 2020
    Severn, MD
    I bagged a doe at 100 yards sillouetted along a hilltop and on the move. After leading it, she stopped for a moment and I took the shot. I hit a bit low, but the angle of the shot still went into the chest cavity and did some work on the shoulder and heart. She ran a good 25 yards and dropped dead.

Gun is a ruger american ranch in 350L using winchester 180 grain soft points mounted on a bog deathgrip tripod.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    Maybe you will have better luck. The CMMG upper I got has been a total POS and that seems to be the consensus so far with .350 AR's. Very finicky and inconsistent. OTOH my coworker got a ruger american ranch in .350 and the couple times we have shot it... The bolt is a little crude but it is a tack driver using the 145 grain FMJ from winchester. We alternated between the FMJ and 180 grain soft points and @ 100 yards it was close enough to stop messing with the scope and call it good.

My brother bought a Ruger 556 in .350 and it shoots great. He put a put a Vortex Crossfire II on it and dropped a doe at 120 yards on opening day. He also shoots Deer Season 180gr.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville

Yeah, the upper I have hasn’t been without problems. Twice I would have been SOL had I needed a follow up shot because I needed to clear a feed jam (using 350 specific/compatible mags).

Indeed, I don’t understand how, but this is an Armalite pattern firing OOB. Link to my post with “evidence” below - I always believed that aside from PCC versions running on blowback, it was impossible for AR’s to do so because until the bolt locks and thereby collapses the firing pin is too short to “jump” the gap. In the pictures in my older post you can see it was a not insignificant OOB detonation...

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?250734&p=6108737#post6108737

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yeah, the upper I have hasn’t been without problems. Twice I would have been SOL had I needed a follow up shot because I needed to clear a feed jam (using 350 specific/compatible mags).

Indeed, I don’t understand how, but this is an Armalite pattern firing OOB. Link to my post with “evidence” below - I always believed that aside from PCC versions running on blowback, it was impossible for AR’s to do so because until the bolt locks and thereby collapses the firing pin is too short to “jump” the gap. In the pictures in my older post you can see it was a not insignificant OOB detonation...

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?250734&p=6108737#post6108737

To chime in real late about your other thread, that doesn't sound like or look like an OOB. No way the casing would have held together at the pressure 350 legend runs if it was out of battery and if it was OOB you would have noticed as it wouldn't generate sufficient force on the bolt to recoil it sufficient to pickup the next round. That looks a lot more like excessive gas port size and/or pressure. That would also explain the reliability issues you are having.

If it is unlocking and beginning to extract while the pressure is still extremely high in the system it'll stretch the case out like that. It looks more like what you would see with a direct blow back gun with insufficient spring strength and/or recoil mass. Overly high bolt recoil velocity can also cause feed jams or stove pipes (the later was happening with my AR-10 until I added an adjustable gas block and turned it down a lot).

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    To chime in real late about your other thread, that doesn't sound like or look like an OOB. No way the casing would have held together at the pressure 350 legend runs if it was out of battery and if it was OOB you would have noticed as it wouldn't generate sufficient force on the bolt to recoil it sufficient to pickup the next round. That looks a lot more like excessive gas port size and/or pressure. That would also explain the reliability issues you are having.

If it is unlocking and beginning to extract while the pressure is still extremely high in the system it'll stretch the case out like that. It looks more like what you would see with a direct blow back gun with insufficient spring strength and/or recoil mass. Overly high bolt recoil velocity can also cause feed jams or stove pipes (the later was happening with my AR-10 until I added an adjustable gas block and turned it down a lot).

I considered that - but I scoped the barrel and, unless the rifling is somehow entirely F’d, the port is in spec.

Once I get a few other projects cleared, I will get it disassembled and gauge it...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I considered that - but I scoped the barrel and, unless the rifling is somehow entirely F’d, the port is in spec.

Once I get a few other projects cleared, I will get it disassembled and gauge it...

If you haven't actually measured it then you don't know. Unless your eye is better than mine is, I can't tell the difference between a .090" gas port and a .100" gas port. Or heck, even .140" and a .080" without having them next to each other. Or measuring.

The evidence points to gas port pressure way too high, not an out of battery detonation.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    If you haven't actually measured it then you don't know. Unless your eye is better than mine is, I can't tell the difference between a .090" gas port and a .100" gas port. Or heck, even .140" and a .080" without having them next to each other. Or measuring.

The evidence points to gas port pressure way too high, not an out of battery detonation.

Borescope, using width of lands for reference; I’m not getting to the thousandth, but to the tenth? Sure.

You may be right, just the same. Won’t know until I take it apart to gauge. But that was the reason why I was thinking OOB rather than gas port...

Sarfs1

Mar 20, 2020
    350 legend

The round performs, is cost effective and dropped dear for lots of folks in 2020. My son had a junior size rifle and I will have one this fall. Data supports 150 grain load as optimal

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom