• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Also over priced IMO. You don't need to spend that kind of money on turkey calls. That's BS.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Do the thighs grind ok, or would you recommend only cooking them certain ways? I was thinking either of just grinding them for burgers or maybe using them for sausages. The breasts I plan to keep one whole and cut the other down into either thin slices or cubes for making turkey cheese steaks or soup with.

What kind of turkeys are you raising? Turkeys are on my maybe list for when I buy some place with more land.

I usually slow cook them, but there's no reason you couldn't grind them up. I might try that next time.

We raise Bourbon Reds. It's a heritage breed, so it has more characteristics of wild birds. I will say, I smoke my turkeys when I cook them, and ALL of the meat is good on our birds.

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    Well, I found a good video from New Hampshire Fish & Game on processing a wild turkey where they use the skinning method. It looks much easier to me and avoids the mess of gutting so I'll definitely be going that route.

I usually slow cook them, but there's no reason you couldn't grind them up. I might try that next time.

We raise Bourbon Reds. It's a heritage breed, so it has more characteristics of wild birds. I will say, I smoke my turkeys when I cook them, and ALL of the meat is good on our birds.

Bourbon Reds are one of the top contenders on my turkey breed list. Good to know that smoking them has positive results. Most of the people I've stumbled upon who raise turkeys do it in addition to chickens and they all seem to choose the Broad Breasted White.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Dont buy a BassPro ReadHead Ozark Bottom Owl call.If the turkey is within 50 yards from you,he might hear it.I wish I would have read the ratings before I threw $20 bucks away.With the Covid,there is a no return policy on mouth calls

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom