• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    im still not going to lie im scared of polymer but Im thinking of trying this.

of course the first youtube video review I watched the guy praised the lower but then admitted the jig was out of spec, he mentioned duct tape and JB Weld in the same sentence when talking about the safety selector hole, had to use a punch to remove the upper, and every tool he discussed he said harbor freight or free. LOL I wish I hadn't watched that video.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    We do a fair amount of plastic on the CNC router at work (I do the programming part and some operation).

A sharp cutter will shear the material off, a dull cutter will rub and melt.

solid point and duly noted thank you!

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    If you're willing to go through the trouble, why not do aluminium?

honestly just something new. I've done a bunch of the regular ones. I'm just in the bored of guns phase. I want a .350 legend upper for hunting but im not buying one while ammo is so hard to find.

The only wheel gun I need, I'm not interested in paying $900 for right now.

I'm in this gun limbo so I'm looking for something to occupy my time. Thats literally all it is. Boredom and curiosity.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    For the price of a good jig ($200), you can get a 3d printer that will print lowers all day long for less than $5 a piece. The Firebolt is the easiest gun I have ever printed, 10 pieces with a combined print time of about 24 hours, then just bolt together. Its got different variants on some of the pieces to be able to shoot 556, 9mm and 45. At the end of the day, you have a 3d printer too, which comes in handy in its own right. You would be surprised at how many uses you can find for one.

Joseph

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 13, 2009
    Clinton MD
    For the price of a good jig ($200), you can get a 3d printer that will print lowers all day long for less than $5 a piece. The Firebolt is the easiest gun I have ever printed, 10 pieces with a combined print time of about 24 hours, then just bolt together. Its got different variants on some of the pieces to be able to shoot 556, 9mm and 45. At the end of the day, you have a 3d printer too, which comes in handy in its own right. You would be surprised at how many uses you can find for one.

I could be wrong but I don’t think a 3d printed receiver will be nearly as strong as an injection molded one. It might be strong enough but I don’t think they are equivalent.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Yep, buddy came over 3 weeks ago and used my 5D jig and bits. The lower was a James Madison Tactical, I don't know if there's a difference in the plastics used by different makers. The router is a DeWalt DWP611. Drill not just the starter hole first but also the pin and safety holes at least 1/4" deep for the side holes, starter hole all the way through. Back off for chip clearance several times in the starter hole. The router was set to the lowest speed, 18,000 rpm. We took just under half bit width cuts in a clockwise manner and made sure the vacuum was running and to blow out any chips between passes. No issues with melting. Edges of the cuts and holes was slightly ragged (where aluminum would have a very slight burr) but using the back of an X-Acto as a scraper and inside for the holes kissed with a swiss file cleaned that up fine.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    honestly just something new. I've done a bunch of the regular ones. I'm just in the bored of guns phase. I want a .350 legend upper for hunting but im not buying one while ammo is so hard to find.

I'm in this gun limbo so I'm looking for something to occupy my time. Thats literally all it is. Boredom and curiosity.
    Gotcha.

Winter doldrums? I've been thinking about reloading just about everything I have stock for and then putting it all away until I move away(in 2-3 years). I'm afraid I'll get so sick of I'll never reload again.

Then again, I might not ever have to...:innocent0

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    We do a fair amount of plastic on the CNC router at work (I do the programming part and some operation).

A sharp cutter will shear the material off, a dull cutter will rub and melt.

Edit: feed rate is also relative to how fast your spindle is turning, a hand router or cnc router is going to be spinning at 25k+ and you can really let it eat. A manual type mill is going to top out around 3k and most do not like to run that fast for any length of time so yes you need to feed slower if that is the case.

Right on

It's the difference between cutting and abrading

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Use a low speed on the router, do not cut too deep with each pass, and clean debris a few times. They turn out great, but they are still polymer.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

"Build" a 1911 or MP5... Uzi, AK74 or a Krink if you can find kits still
    just a thought... problem being the investment in tools / jigs, which leads to
    the time now is not the right time... Got bored with the assembly AR game
    a while ago, there's only so much you can do.. "building 1911's is different,
    takes more time , blending / fitting / testing / fitting again, MP5's bending /
    welding / fitting / testing / tuning... so if your looking for something to occupy
    your time and other stuff..

as far as poly there are a few who have done them, check out the arfcom site
    there are some who have 3D printed them using various type of filaments, some
    require harden nozzles, high temps. got into 3D printing about a year ago (off & on)

just a different take...

-Rock

MossPumper

MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2020
    VA (Western)
    I have drilled out two James Madison Tactical lowers and found it very easy. i used a Drill Press and took my time.
    Lower the speed to around 850 and it cuts great. The JMT. 308 lower was crap. The carbon fiber mixture is not par.
    Good luck .

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom