Ruger Precision Rifle 6mm Creedmoor (6.5mm barrel)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marc0nline

Mar 24, 2019
    Southern Maryland
    Thinking about buying a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6mm Creedmoor for under $800. I noticed online I can find rounds in the $.90 to $1.90 range, but 6.5 ammo is as low as $.57 (on WikiArms.com). I know the RPR comes in 6.5 but for another $350, pockets are tight and $350 is the difference of whether I can purchase or not, especially since I also need a scope, min $400, and a bipod. Does anyone know for certain that if I wanted to change the rifle to 6.5mm, at a later date, is all I would have to do is change the barrel and nothing else?

Stay SAFE and keep shooting!

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I have a spare Gen1 6.5CM barrel for the RPR that I could sell relatively cheap if interested.

I think you can do the swap very easily, the RPR has a similar barrel nut like an AR. Set the headspace and shoot. Bolt face diameter should be the same.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just fyi i think the 'cheap' 6.5 creed ammo you're seeing isn't the match grade (hornady eld-m) ammo... but yeah more ammo options with 6.5 including less expensive options.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    If money is tight, why not go a different route to get what you want? This rifle was on sale for $100 off last week, and regularly goes on sale a couple times a year.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAGE-FV-VARMINT-RIFLE/1994604.uts?slotId=0

It comes in 6.5, and all you'd need extra over the RPR is a replacement stock for adjustability. So for ~$700 less than a RPR, you could be shooting 6.5 out of a heck of a rifle.

I have one in 6.5CR. It is a heavy rifle. Still in load development, so I cannot speak for the accuracy. Looks good so far though.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    I have a 6mm creed and have hunted with it. Excellent round
    I also shoot 260 which is close to the 6.5 creed. What are you
    looking to do?

I'm putting side work money away for the 6.5 cred. rpr .But a dealer is trying to talk me into the 6mm rpr .I have not shot either of them my main reason for the 6.5 is so that i have something for a long range target gun

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Well that's a gimmi I'm looking at distance

You have to figure out what the target is at distance. I shoot fclass most often which is paper at either 600 or 1k. I don't need to see splash, as all my shots are marked after each firing. For the fclass game, I prefer lighter recoiling rifle as some days I'll shoot 90-100 rounds each day of the weekend and even the .308 was starting to not feel comfortable after 80 rounds.

I have a 6mmBR, 6x47 lapaua and a 6.5CM...for me they all have different purposes. Its the right tool for the right job. The 6BR is hard to beat at the 600 range stupid accurate and recoils very light, however since its only going 2850 fps at the 1k line, the wind moves it more than my liking. 6x47L is going 3150 fps with the same 107gr SMK...time of flight and wind drift is similar to a 300WM or a .284 shehane(almost chambered in that round) but felt recoil is much less.

6.5CM is what I would use for unknown or the tactical type shoots (PRS). Doesn't have the splash of a .308 though, and ballisticly isn't much better than the .308 until you get passed the 800 yrd line.

As with anything else, its all about "right tool for the job". Personally I think OP will be happy with either the 6CM or the 6.5CM but its better to know the end purpose when helping to make suggestions.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA
    "Load development"?

I reload for all of my firearms. In reloading manuals, they will list multiple powder and bullet combinations. I take my time to find the right "load" for each weapon. I will pick a powder and bullet combo. I usually start with the minimum powder charge and work up to the max powder charge, in 5 shot groups. Somewhere between the two charges, the groups will shrink. My goal is for a one hole, 5 shot group. That's a very basic overview of load development.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I reload for all of my firearms. In reloading manuals, they will list multiple powder and bullet combinations. I take my time to find the right "load" for each weapon. I will pick a powder and bullet combo. I usually start with the minimum powder charge and work up to the max powder charge, in 5 shot groups. Somewhere between the two charges, the groups will shrink. My goal is for a one hole, 5 shot group. That's a very basic overview of load development.

What bullet are you shooting? 140gr ELD, 143gr ELDX, 142 SMK? I'd imagine H4350 is the powder of choice if you can find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom