Destroyed regulated firearm - unRegistration?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    I believe I know the answer is no, but I thought I'd check that something new or "Maryland" hasn't been snuck into a new law.

I had one of my pistols blow up and destroyed the serialized portion. Do I need to notify MSP or other to stay within the letter of the law? It's not lost or stolen, just unusable.

Otherwise I need to patch it up and wait for a buy-back program to recover some fundages...

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    You can send it back to the manufacture and they can put the same serial number on the new receiver.

Sadly, that's not always the case.

The serial numbered frame of my LCP cracked, I sent it to Ruger and they said it and was unrepairable. I asked if they could destroy the cracked frame and stamp that serial number on a replacement frame so I could avoid the issue of visiting my FFL, presenting my HQL, and doing a 77r and 4473. Ruger customer service told me they don't do that anymore, so getting me a warranty replacement was handled like a new gun transfer.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Unless you voluntarily registered it, technically there is no registration in the verbage. I assume the "list" just shows transfers.

Since you can't untransfer it at the specific date you did it, it's always going to be there.

Mag Dump

May 31, 2017
    Frederick, MD Region
    You can send it back to the manufacture and they can put the same serial number on the new receiver.

Sadly that is not lawfully possible.

Under the Gun Control Act of 1968 at 18 U.S.C. § 923(i), as implemented at 27 C.F.R. § 478.92(a)(1)(i), it is unlawful for a firearm manufacturer to " . . . duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm . . ."

highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Sadly, that's not always the case.

The serial numbered frame of my LCP cracked, I sent it to Ruger and they said it and was unrepairable. I asked if they could destroy the cracked frame and stamp that serial number on a replacement frame so I could avoid the issue of visiting my FFL, presenting my HQL, and doing a 77r and 4473. Ruger customer service told me they don't do that anymore, so getting me a warranty replacement was handled like a new gun transfer.

Dang. What kind of ammo were you using?

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Unless you voluntarily registered it, technically there is no registration in the verbage. I assume the "list" just shows transfers.

Since you can't untransfer it at the specific date you did it, it's always going to be there.

This.

It's not really the gun that's "registered": it's the transfer.

Maryland never "unregisters" a transfer. If you buy a handgun in a private sale, it will be forever listed as belonging to both you and the person you bought it from. Sell it again, and it will be listed under three people's names in Maryland's database.

Since you know the gun is beyond repair, you never need worry that it will be recovered at a crime scene and traced back to you. No one will ever come asking you about it.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Thanks everyone, great info here as always. I guess I'm always thinking that if the state ever comes looking for any reason, that I'd get the thumb screws if I couldn't produce everything on the list they don't keep..

fnfalsar48

Feb 27, 2011
    Virginia
    Sadly that is not lawfully possible.

Under the Gun Control Act of 1968 at 18 U.S.C. § 923(i), as implemented at 27 C.F.R. § 478.92(a)(1)(i), it is unlawful for a firearm manufacturer to " . . . duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm . . ."

Serial number is not duplicated, original is destroyed.
    You should call H&K and tell them.

HordesOfKailas

Still learning
    Feb 7, 2016
    Utah
    Where did you hear that?

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/report-firearms-theft-or-loss-0

Any Federal Firearms Licensee who has knowledge of the theft or loss of any firearms from their inventory must report such theft or loss within 48 hours of discovery to ATF and to the local law enforcement agency. (Regulations at 27 CFR § 478.39a and implementing section 923(g)(6) require that the report of theft or loss be made by telephone and in writing to ATF).

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Sounds like "loss" means missing or lost, not accidentally destroyed. In this case I don't think any notification to the ATF is needed.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Any Federal Firearms Licensee who has knowledge of the theft or loss of any firearms from their inventory must report such theft or loss within 48 hours of discovery to ATF and to the local law enforcement agency. (Regulations at 27 CFR § 478.39a and implementing section 923(g)(6) require that the report of theft or loss be made by telephone and in writing to ATF).

That applies only to Federal Firearms Licensees and even then, only to guns in their inventory. It doesn't even appear to apply to their personal guns. It certainly does not have anything to do with anyone who is not a federally licensed dealer of some sort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom