• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    A lot of people don't know how to correctly insert the foam plugs, there by reducing their efficiency. You need to reach across your head with the other hand and pull up slightly on your ear when inserting the rolled up plug. Once I learned this it made a big difference.
    Eh? Rolling the plug up just like a doobie works fine for me. I don't see how it's going to expand any better. I stick it in as far as is comfortable--any more or it's painful.

As far as the electronic muffs go, I tried a pair of the HL Impact Sports, but they're just not deep enough for my ears, and the angle is all wrong. If the wires went on the other side of the headband, they might work better, but the wires interfere with the muffs rotating on the mounts enough to seal below my ears.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Lifting the ear helps straighten the ear canal, so the plug goes in fully without bunching up.

I can normally insert it properly without the lifting, but lifting makes it easier to get it right.

NickZac

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Eh? Rolling the plug up just like a doobie works fine for me. I don't see how it's going to expand any better. I stick it in as far as is comfortable--any more or it's painful.

As far as the electronic muffs go, I tried a pair of the HL Impact Sports, but they're just not deep enough for my ears, and the angle is all wrong. If the wires went on the other side of the headband, they might work better, but the wires interfere with the muffs rotating on the mounts enough to seal below my ears.

I think it partly depends on ear shape/head shape. With my ears, even if they are rolled up tightly, they will not go in deep enough if i don't hold my ear with the other hand. With some people I shoot with, they simply roll them up, insert them, and they go in fine. I do find that when holding the plug in place while it expands that if you gently push, pull, and move the ear side-to-side that as it expands it takes a slightly better fit...not sure if that applies to others tho.

skibernie

Feb 22, 2008
    Silver Spring,MD
    Lifting the ear helps straighten the ear canal, so the plug goes in fully without bunching up.

I can normally insert it properly without the lifting, but lifting makes it easier to get it right.

That was a lesson I learned in Airborne School - still remember the Black Hat demonstrating it to us.

Not sure if it was part of the curriculum or not, but this Black Hat was awfully diligent about hearing protection. He said something about expecting to be deaf by 40 as he was exposed to all sorts of loud noises during the first Gulf War.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD

Huh. I just twirl the plug this way and that until it snakes its way in, then just let it sit and expand.

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    HI GUYS! I dont want to get them online I want to try them on,compare etc etc but places are sold out/that surprised me . places in Easton and Chesp. Outdoors in Chester Md Shore Sportsman sold out I want to go to Albrights also but did not nothing in Walmart/Easton either I will keep looking Have a good w.end

Badfish55

Mar 8, 2013
    PAX RIVER
    Yeah man i have to Agree with MAXVO2 i work in Medicine for the Navy and i see hearing loss in Marines all the time who dont have proper EARPRO when they go out to the range best thing to do is find earmuffs that fit you properly and have high NRR and wear earplugs under that i have Earmuffs that i use for the flight line and they work perfectly, i have a couple if you want one just PM ME have a good day

stu929

M1 Addict
    Jan 2, 2012
    Hagerstown
    The foam ones actually work better.

The molded in place ones cannot change to deal with day to day (and hour to hour) changes in your ear canal from things like your hydration level.

They work well, but the NRR is typically less than a top quality foam plug.

They are a LOT easier to put in though. :)

Sams club now makes these I think they are like 45 bucks. I was debating getting a pair to wear until my electronic muffs for indoor.

These are what I use everyday though. Great price and they have treated me very well to this point!

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-R-01526-Electronic-Earmuff/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1362359928&sr=1-3&keywords=Peltor

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom