• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    HELLLO MEN
    used my new Taurus 605 yesterday first time & I want it clean..
    Hubby said he will,,, I looked at his cleaning items/brushes look FILTHY!!
    should they be replaced dont you need to be very careful of brushes/cleaning items you use in the barrel??
    Im getting online to learn more I wont clean it without hubby's guidance
    thanks in advance, have a good day BRAT happy happy happy

Traveler

Lighten up Francis
    Jan 18, 2013
    AA County
    Brushes are cheap, but I would try shaking them up in some hoppes in an old container you don't need to use for anything else.
    The brass brushes would probably not be bothered by a shake up in a few drops of liquid dish detergent in a lot of water as an alternative.
    Just make sure they are very dry before you use them with your favorite gun specific cleaning product.
    I save my old toothbrushes. They are great for cleaning the innards.

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    Brushes are cheap, but I would try shaking them up in some hoppes in an old container you don't need to use for anything else.
    The brass brushes would probably not be bothered by a shake up in a few drops of liquid dish detergent in a lot of water as an alternative.
    Just make sure they are very dry before you use them with your favorite gun specific cleaning product.
    I save my old toothbrushes. They are great for cleaning the innards.
    old toothbrushes hmm thanks
    i got to get online but ive been laughing at the thread about boobs or butt cheeks... :):)

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Harbor Freight has packs of brushes with two steel, brass, and plastic bristles for cheap. I like using old toothbrushes too, but the bristles don't get all of the carbon/lead build up out like brass does without damaging the gun.

TonyTwinz

Nov 18, 2012
    MoCo
    If its in the budget & after your online research, think about having your own cleaning tools. You'll get what you like, maintain your tools your way and know exactly what your working with specifically to your firearm. All your needs could be meet a the big box stores, but always try to support your local gun shop. Plus they may have some good advice for you and a better selection of cleaning products. Stating the obvious here but don't forget gloves. Some Chemicals can be harsh on skin and toxic through absorption.

BFMIN

Ultimate Member
    Nov 5, 2010
    Eastern shore
    A couple of things to mention. "Clean" is a bit of a relative term, so is "Filthy", so let me clarify a little what these mean in terms of shooting & cleaning firearms.

Caked in dried crud is unnacceptable, green stuff growing in the bristles is nasty.
    But its not "Clean" in the spotless sense of dishes or laundry, so some "staining from use" is perfectly fine. Think a bit like an automobile mechanic's tools, not crudded & corroded, but not surgically spotless either.

Somewhere between the two is what you're looking for. Mainly you should be looking for wear, rather than spotlessly clean, so I'd suggest this:

Get some gasoline or "GunScrubber" & spray clean the items you think unnacceptably dirty. Kerosene works well for a storage medium as well, just find a container with a screw-on top just big enough to hold all the tips/jags & brushes (not the mops) & let the stuff soak at least overnight. Replace the kero as it becomes contaminated with the contaminants released from the cleaning tools.

Then check for things like bent, or missing bristles, polished smooth bristle tips & bent wire centers. Those items are "shot" & need replacing. The "old toothbrush idea" is a classic but you could just go to the dollar store & buy one of those 3-packs oif cheap ones they work too. ONe I'd heat just behind the head & bend to a bit of an angle, very handy for getting into odd corners to scrape hidden crud out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom