• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    not police mustangs(I wouldn`t mind having one though), just regular ones(all between 1986-1993). Although the only differences between a SSP mustang and civilian mustangs are very minor(alt, tires/wheels,speedo, ect.)

I've had two, a '66 that I paid 500 dollars for when I was a kid and an '82. Had a '79 Capri too if you want to count that :). Pretty car, ran like crap. Had the old Ford 4-cylinder engine in it that had something like 100 horsepower. I remember driving on 95 and having to keep in the slow lane because it's top speed going up hills would be right around 55.

79MercuryCapriBrochure_01.jpg

jdougal08

Jan 25, 2008
    I think the problem is going to be finding something with the reliability of the Crown Vic. The CV has just become such an overall good fit for police fleets, mainly because of its durability. It has good enough performance, but the big thing is it tends to be there when you need it and not on the rack and has enough size to carry everything you need, as well as protect you in a crash.

We've bought a few Chargers and a handful of Impalas to test. The Chargers look nice when new and are fast but if they're like any other Dodge police package has been they'll outrun everything except a mechanic. The Intrepids were a disaster and everybody can't wait until those things are gone. Brake problems, piss poor paint jobs that bake off, one thing after another. Just like the Gran Furies and Diplomats were. My opinion of Chrysler in general has always been that they're Detroit's answer to junk food and their police cars aren't any different.

The Impalas are pretty popular so far but then again so was every other new type of car until it had been in service a year or two. They are surprisingly roomy inside for their size. Like most GM's they ride smooth. I just don't like the smaller amount of metal between myself and surrounding hard things that want to hurt me, and I wonder if they'll hold up. We had Luminas before that were marginal and they were okay until the long-term wear and tear started to set in. Had a lot of Tauruses back in the 90's too, same problem with them, no good once they started to wear, and very expensive to maintain. And there's usually not a lot of up-front savings buying the smaller cars to begin with.

I've seen it for almost 25 years now, the smaller cars and the Dodges just don't hold up. But if push comes to shove I think we'll probably end up with Chargers by default. Another idea being floated is more widespread use of SUV's like Durangos which are actually cheaper to buy and keep up than full-size police package sedans.

Ford was also saying they are coming out w/ a new Police Interceptor in 2011. Prototype pictured below. I just wonder how high they'll price it.

ford-interceptor-concept-front-leftjpg.jpg

Here's the website for the new Ford that they are going to release. I watched the press release they day they announced it and a few red flags came up. The biggest thing was they made zero mention of cost throughout the presentation. They are touting options like AWD and the better of the two engine setups is a turbocharged V6. To me options like those are going to cost a lot more then the current CV. The other is going to be maintenance costs. The upkeep on a AWD car after jumping curbs etc seem like it would get out of hand quickly. Also a part goes up in the turbo system and they're in their pockets again. I like the idea of the new Ford it just doesn't seem like a real option.

What do you guys think about the Impala being underpowered?

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    What do you guys think about the Impala being underpowered?

They're good for inside the city work where we rarely break 35mph. Not sure how well the transmissions are holding up over the long haul running in low gears all the time.

jdougal08

Jan 25, 2008
    They're good for inside the city work where we rarely break 35mph. Not sure how well the transmissions are holding up over the long haul running in low gears all the time.

It surprises me that a lot of folks say they're roomy inside. From the outside they look like they'd be cramped as a POV let alone a patrol car. It should be an interesting few years as all the companies compete for dominance in the market.

Here's a few more MdTA for ya :D
    mdta135.jpg

mdta136.jpg

jdougal08

Jan 25, 2008
    no...out of the academy is 3 month of FTO. roughly its 6-9 months out of the academy based on availability. the take home program saves on vehicle maintenance...cars last longer

Yea I've seen the studies and also seen pool cars first hand and know how "well" they're taken care of. I'm suprised that you guys still have off-duty usage and the ability to live out of county still. Seems like a very nice perk that a lot of agencies are restricting/taking away.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Yea I've seen the studies and also seen pool cars first hand and know how "well" they're taken care of. I'm suprised that you guys still have off-duty usage and the ability to live out of county still. Seems like a very nice perk that a lot of agencies are restricting/taking away.

most agencies have a "assigned veh and leave at the county line" policy if you don't live in the county. why RU surprised on the off duty usage. it puts more police officers on the street w/o paying them. if you're in the car, you're basically working and responding to emergency calls or just rolling up on a traffic crash. can't tell you how many accidents I just roll up on.

our take home policy is very liberal.....the advantages greatly outweight the disads

jdougal08

Jan 25, 2008
    most agencies have a "assigned veh and leave at the county line" policy if you don't live in the county. why RU surprised on the off duty usage. it puts more police officers on the street w/o paying them. if you're in the car, you're basically working and responding to emergency calls or just rolling up on a traffic crash. can't tell you how many accidents I just roll up on.

our take home policy is very liberal.....the advantages greatly outweight the disads

Oh no, not suprised as the reason behind the policy. Just that it's still allowed. I've been reading about a lot of agencies cutting off duty usage etc. I totally understand and support the reasons for takehomes both for the department and for the officer/deputy.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    this thread makes me miss my Magnum R/T...it was sooooooo much faster than the Crown Vics and faster than the Chargers. sigh...

EWO

AGC / Monumental Member
    Jan 25, 2010
    Ellicott City MD
    not police mustangs(I wouldn`t mind having one though), just regular ones(all between 1986-1993). Although the only differences between a SSP mustang and civilian mustangs are very minor(alt, tires/wheels,speedo, ect.)

I've got something sitting in my father's garage (I plan on building mine in the next year or so) that you would appreciate. 93 GT with 37,000 miles. Always garage kept, even still has the original wiper blades on it. Looks like the day it was driven off the lot. :party29:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I already discussed with my wife the one thing I am getting myself when I retire next year and move on to a new career. She thinks its very immature, but that is not stopping me. I don't consider myself selfish, but I also realize you only live once (or so I'm told), and besides after 25 years, I really think I deserve something in addition to the three herniated disks and the assorted scars, bumps, cracks, and creaks.

69 Camaro SS in Huggar Orange. Of course, not this exact one, I think they'll have sold this one by then, but will be just like it. :)

august1410

Marcas Registradas
    Apr 10, 2009
    New Bern, NC
    I met a retired police officer from Georgia about 10 years ago who swore that the best police car ever made was the one he had until his retirement in 1971. The 1969 Dodge Polara.
    (This one's from California.)

Attachments

• dodge-polara.jpg
      dodge-polara.jpg
      42.9 KB · Views: 220

boss66tcode

a bit of an Eddie Haskle
    Sep 8, 2008
    in 'da hills
    I'll get in that Polara long before I shoe horn myself into that subaru thing. They are probably decent cars, but have to be tough on tall officers. Moving batons out of the way, gear, and trying to fit into a little car simply doesn't sound like a good shift.
    Then again, they do beat the john deere gator they use in corrections to get around the yard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom